Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 05:20 PM
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Boy, I am lucking out with books recently...first Recessional and now this amazing book.

It is easy reading but as powerful as a book can get. One of the most bizarre autobiographies I have ever read and I hope to never read another even remotely similar.

Inspirational, disturbing, tragic, interesting and truly hails the American spirit. Survival against all odds.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
RBoffroad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 06:35 PM

Read it about 5 years ago and gave it to my wife at bed time down in Cabo one night. She was up all night reading. Laughing and crying. A great book.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 07:10 PM

Yes, I also found it to be a very moving piece of work.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 07:15 PM

One you don't forget! It is a powerful in all the ways you mention Blanca, and it also hits on mental illness.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 09:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Boy, I am lucking out with books recently...first Recessional and now this amazing book.

It is easy reading but as powerful as a book can get. One of the most bizarre autobiographies I have ever read and I hope to never read another even remotely similar.

Inspirational, disturbing, tragic, interesting and truly hails the American spirit. Survival against all odds.

Please give a hint: what was bizarre? how & what did she survive?? I enjoy auto/biographies but need more details.

and how are you winding up with these random (but appreciated) books??

[Edited on 3-12-2016 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 09:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Please give a hint: what was bizarre? how & what did she survive?? I enjoy auto/biographies but need more details.

and how are you winding up with these random (but appreciated) books??

[Edited on 3-12-2016 by Whale-ista]

Amazon gives a good summary of what it is all about. It is a one of a kind true story. It is one you can't put down.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/074324754X/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=3486881027&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9fxy3uz0zw_e

On edit, when I looked for this on Amazon, I see that she has written a couple of other books --- I think I will order them.

[Edited on 3-12-2016 by DianaT]

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 06:26 AM

All are a good read...I gave several for Christmas. Brings you back down to earth abit, Nancy
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 07:19 AM

A tragic story.

It was an indictment of our country's schools and social services systems that the children's plight was never recognized and the children removed from parents who were mentally ill.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 09:06 AM

Read it Lori. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying the experience. It is a story about a family that is beyond dysfunctional.

Many people donate books to the B&B! We have a permanent lending library - take one leave one. I do have a kindle and use it too, but I love having the feeling of holding the book in my hands. and I love that people give me books they have loved reading.

On an aside, I have a friend whose dad was never in the picture, whose mom was an alcoholic/prostitute and she told me that at age 5, she KNEW after hearing a conversation her mom was having, that she would have to be responsible for herself. Like Jeannette and her siblings in The Glass Castle, my friend is very down to earth and 100% financially set for life at age 40. She was successfully running businesses at age 20!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 10:06 AM

What is great about a book like this is to read everyone's comments as everyone seems to take away something just a little different. I guess based on our personal experiences, it hits everyone a bit differently like any work of art.

That is one of the reasons, IMHO, it is very much worth reading. I really enjoy all the comments.

[Edited on 3-12-2016 by DianaT]

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 04:14 PM

Diana- Thanks for the additional details, and link to the book to give me more information.

Blanca- Of course- the lending library. I forgot about that part of your BnB. Thanks for reminder.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 05:45 PM

Diana -what was your take on the book? curious minds and all.

Come visit La Bocana

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 12:26 PM

For an inspirational book I suggest "Boys in a Boat" by Daniel Brown. This true story occurred in the 20's-30's in the state of Washington and is about these Washington State Student's struggle to compete in the 1935 Olympics in Germany. An example of the greatest generation.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Glass Castle, I'll look it up on my Kindle.

bacquito
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 08:35 PM

I read this book in 2009 and rated it a 4 out of 5 star on Goodreads. My review seems to outline the facts without much personal reaction:

The Walls family lived a nomadic, chaotic adventure in a modern setting. The children were resourceful at survival as their parents slid into mental illness and alcoholism. Food was seldom a three meals a day pattern and living conditions close to third world. The father had many skills and grand dreams, but did not provide a secure or caring environment. He did provide an intellectually stimulating world view and a challenging philosophy. The parents eventually became homeless in New York City, where most of the family came to reside. The author is a news contributor to MSNBC.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 09:31 AM

Boys in a Boat eh.....sounds like another must read!

Boy John, I had gut reactions to the Glass Castle - the system letting the kids down, especially the teachers, had me just boiling.

Come visit La Bocana

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 09:06 PM

Hi Blanca - oh yes!! agree this was a moving emotional incredibly well written story -- as is her Half Broke Horses as well ...

In 2006 a woman we were working with wanted Jeannette to write Tommy's Story of triumph over tragedy and adversity because of the experiences she had been through .. thankfully for Jeanette her book did so very well her time became precious and limited and that never developed.

I know the truth sets you free, and Tommydeserves his freedom - he was imprisoned physically from age 8 until age 16, and emotionally manipulated until he was well into his 50's .. he's a classic example of a Stockholm Syndrome victim. Everyone that meets him is shocked to learn of his past - he's compassionate, caring, generous, kind and funny! I think funny people use humor to mask their deep pain.

Still hoping to find the "right writer" who can capture the voice and the story.

Sorry for the semi-hijack but this is something I am deeply passionate about and seeing Jeannette's name triggered the memory. L

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 03:30 PM

I love hijacks....makes it more interesting in my opinion.

Psychology was one of my majors and we studied kids who are brought up by ill humans - the toll is unrelenting. The damage severe.

I sure hope Tommy finds his ghost writer ....

What is Half Broke Horses about?

Come visit La Bocana

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 05:04 PM

thanks Blanca ...
Wow, you have so much compassion!

Sure the damage is deep, demons rear their ugly heads - abandonment and rejection - mind control and manipulation -- from birth until age 8 he was raised with strict discipline and his mother instilled wonderful values - so he had a semi-strong foundation which I think served to keep him sane - never going to the dark side , altho certainly fragile emotionally --- he was a human pawn in a real life game of chess.

The two key figures played differently - the man, Father Divine, realizing the reality of mortality, chose to tell him truths in private--- I'm not God Tommy, but the followers think I am - rather than disappoint them, lets focus on what you need to learn - be good and kind to everyone - treat everyone with dignity and respect - take care of the elders - be a voice for those that have none. This all had a dramatic impact on the impressionable 8 yr old - but in more of a good way than a bad way.

On the other hand, the 2nd Mother Divine used Tommy to build and strengthen an impenetrable fort around herself - she is the one I hold responsible for the emotional damage - she could have done things much differently - instead what she did stole Tommy's childhood, his inheritance, and caused deep psychological damages that you know.

Father D died 3 yrs after Tommy was delivered to him - I suspect he thought he'd have more time to groom the child - But since he had introduced the boy to his entire congregation (location by location) they began to call him The Prodigal Son.

Mother D manipulated Tommy in shameful ways. Sorry again, like I said I'm passionate about this - and have spent 23 yrs researching.

Not looking for a ghost writer - want a fully credited writer.

Half Broke Horses is about Jeannettes grandmother Lily's life and struggles. Also deeply emotional. But a great read.

Thanks for continuing the dialog. L

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.