Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dumb idea
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 4-7-2016 at 07:47 PM

David K said it. If I remember right, it's main reason had to do with children of grade school age, walking in the dark to school????? With that thought in mind, I agree with keeping it in effect. Kids that age need all the help they can get. And with all the crazies out there these days, lets keep it. Yes, I'm a grandpa and great grandpa these days. Anyone remember that? (I didn't watch the video. Maybe it said that).
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2016 at 08:51 PM

A lot of interesting responses, with no meaning .
The question is DO YOU LIKE TO CHANGE THE CLOCK, twice a year.
Very simple question.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-7-2016 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alacran  
A lot of interesting responses, with no meaning .
The question is DO YOU LIKE TO CHANGE THE CLOCK, twice a year.
Very simple question.

Succinctly,

NO.

If you do, change your own damned clock but leave mine alone.

Wanna change for the kiddies? Start school an hour later. Most of us survived without it. Change everyone's time for the benefit of a few who could alter their own schedules? No.

You can't cut 1" off a candle and glue it to the other end to make it longer.

Simple enough.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2016 at 10:30 PM

But why do we do this odd biannual ritual? And does it really save us money?

Contrary to popular belief, Ben Franklin did not invent Daylight Savings Time. What he satirically proposed was that to save money on candles, the hard-partying 18th century French try waking up earlier to use more daylight. Franklin also proposed that the Parisian dawn be greeted by cannon fire to ensure that its citizens were awake.

In fact the idea of Daylight Savings Time is ancient. Agrarian societies would simply adjust their sense of time to the sun. Roman Empire-era water clocks would have different settings for different months to account for the difference in the times of sunrise and sunset.

But the idea of Daylight Savings Time as we know it first required the standardization of time itself that came with the introduction of the railroads and their need for fixed schedules. It was first proposed in 1895 by New Zealand Entomologist George Vernon Hudson who wanted more sunlight after quitting time so he could add more bugs to his collection. The British construction magnet William Willett took up the cause, primarily because he was tired of cutting short his games of golf at dusk.

The first people to actually implement the idea however, were, in fact, the efficient Germans, who viewed it as a way to save coal during World War I. The Allies soon followed suit, and the U.S. shortly after, adopting the practice in 1918

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/11/04/Daylight-S...

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.