Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: MEMORIAL DAY
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-29-2016 at 11:24 PM
MEMORIAL DAY

It's now officially Memorial Day; to honor the fallen who gave all to their Country and its people. I lost five people in the first outfit I was in, and seven in the next over the space of eleven months. All died for a stupid war, but I refuse to believe their sacrifices were all in vain.

They gave so we can do what we do now, both righteous and indignant, but FREE. I personally fought for the freedom to burn our flag, like it or not....... it's my FREEDOM and right to do so. Other countries would be a capital offense punishable by death for even lesser transgressions.

We have the freedom to quite easily access Baja pretty much any time we please; ask a Mexican citizen what they have to do to go north; ain't the same. We don't have armed military checkpoints every hundred miles inspecting our belongings, rifling through our personal possessions (unless you're a person of color in some racially motivated areas of the U.S.).

We have the right to dispute openly and publicly, throw a few mud-balls here on Nomads and like it or not, speak our minds (or lack thereof)..... and there are many things we take for granted that have been earned by our fallen for us.

Memorial Day is not for us living Vets, but for the ones we lost that will never leave us. For me, I see the white marble rows of stone stretching symmetrically..... and endlessly.... across well-manicured lawns, and once a year given tribute by our Nation. Tribute given daily by grieving, crying and inconsolable persons on their own.

So today, Monday May 30, take just a minute of your time to silently retrospect on anyone you personally knew who gave it all. If you don't, maybe seek out someone you know who does, and give them a hug.

bb

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 07:03 AM

USS Renshaw. RIP the 25 sailors who died on her.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 07:10 AM

Theodore S Martin. Killed in the South Pacific on his 29th birthday 1944.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 10:16 AM

We thank - all who have served, are serving, will serve - for our freedom - and their families for supporting them as well.

Someone's tag line on here (wish I remembered whose) says "freedom isn't free" --so true that ..

Thanks bajabuddha for starting this thread, I will hug a few vets today. LG

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 10:24 AM
Rest in peace my friend

Dennis Lee CASEY

Birth 1942-07-19 Rank CPL Date of Death 1967-06-18
P. of birth Minneapolis MN Service US Marine Corp Place Quang Nam South Vietnam
Town of
Record Lewistown, Montana Unit S-2, SCOUTS, H&S CO, 2ND BN, 7TH MARINES, 1ST MARDIV Death Code Hostile, Died-Artillery, Rocket, Mortar-Ground Casualty
Hometown Lewistown service # 2191167 Panel 22E - Row 006
Married Single MIA - BR Medals Purple Heart
Tour Date Comment Virtual Wall Cemetery

DENNIS CASEY, LEWISTOWN MARINE KILLED IN ACTION IN VIETNAM SUNDAY
Mr. and Mrs. Ronald J. Casey of Lewistown were notified Monday that their son, Cpl Dennis L. Casey, USMC, was killed in action in Vietnam Sunday (18 Jun 1967). Two Marine officers from Billings delivered the message to the Casey family. The telegram confirming Dennis' death stated he sustained a fragmentation wound to the chest from a communist mortar round while on an operation in the vicinity of Quang Nah, Republic of Vietnam.
The parents were informed that further information would be released by Marine Corps Headquarters. It is believed Dennis is the first Vietnam casualty from Lewistown.
Dennis' attempts to serve his country received publicity when, after being rejected because of his height (5'3"), he suddenly found himself accepted by three branches of the service at the same time. After receiving a discharge from the Montana National Guard and the Army, he was sworn into the Marines 27 Dec 1965. He had served in Vietnam about one year.
Dennis L. Casey was born 19 Jul 1942 in Minneapolis MN. He attended Lewistown schools and was graduated from Fergus Co High School in 1961. He received a degree in history and political science from Rocky Mountain College, Billings, in 1965. While at college he served as president of his class, president of the college Republicans at RMC and was national vice president of the Student Education Association.
He was a member of the First United Presbyterian Church of Lewistown and the Masonic Lodge.
In addition to his parents, he is survived by two sisters, Mary and Jean; two brothers, Jimmy and Michael; all of Lewistown; paternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. James Casey, New Rockford ND; one niece and several aunts and uncles. Funeral services are pending at the Cloyd Funeral Home.
Lewistown Daily News, Lewistown MT, 20 Jun 1967)

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 04:12 PM

http://www.thewall-usa.com/info.asp?recid=22516

Greg Henderson, my friend. Killed because of negligence in the field ("friendly fire'', what an oxymo-r-on)by our Company Commander, a West Point honor graduate who was investigated and given a 'Letter Of Reprimand' in his Personnel File. 45 years later, today is for Greg. He had HONOR.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 04:38 PM

Nice that you guys are remembering your friends. I'm a Vietnam War era guy but had a draft deferment (2-S), as did all my high school buddies.

Around 0.5% of Americans are serving now. 0% is the long term, peaceful goal.

To repeat, it's nice that you guys are remembering your friends who died while serving.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 05:06 PM

Buddah, thanks for the post, it is again time to reflect on those who who did not return.

I did not serve in Viet Nam, but probably 90% of my graduating class from The Armor School at Fort Knox did (class 1-68). Roughly 200 graduated, and three were killed in action. We were a close knit group.

Six more friends and neighbors from my home town were lost in that war, and although I never served with any of them, I still am in contact with some of their family and friends from time to time.

I have attended quite a few memorial services over the years for veterans (none KIA) and the playing of 'Taps' still chokes me up.

[Edited on 5-31-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 07:02 PM

may GOD bless all that we lost fighting for our freedom and their families.

also, may the U.S. government finally take care of all that are still suffering.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.