Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Discover Baja Travel Club and Mexican Auto Insurance
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

eureka.gif posted on 7-31-2016 at 08:45 AM
Discover Baja Travel Club and Mexican Auto Insurance

We talk a lot about Mexican auto insurance here and while Baja Bound is great, sponsors this website, and one of the owners is a regular member here and they are great people to deal with, I also want to remind readers that Discover Baja has been around a long time and can provide members of their club with discounts on the cost of the insurance. The owners and staff are great, too. Daily policies are available to non- club members, as well.

In my opinion, Baja Nomads have two great sources to get their Mexican auto insurance at. When you like both, it's not easy to only mention only one. I have tried to always include the other when mentioning one.

Discover Baja Travel Club sells the same brands of insurance as Baja Bound. Club membership (I have been a member since almost their beginning) also provides you with other discounts in Baja and services at the club. Including discounts on the largest selection of Baja books and maps for sale (and they sell to non-members, too). You can purchase my mission history books there. They also have an on-line purchasing system for the insurance. www.discoverbaja.com

I have purchased policies from both and received great service from both.
So, like a good news service should do, I am reporting about both companies and you can decide!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 12:15 PM

I'll add a note of appreciation for Discover Baja: When returning north recently, I called the office to ask for details on getting to the SENTRI lane in TJ (I usually cross at Otay).

The person who answered my call was able to provide directions that made the return much easier.

I have used DB's services and insurance at various times, while living and traveling in Baja, going back over 20 years. They provide good value and great expertise.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
We talk a lot about Mexican auto insurance here and while Baja Bound is great, sponsors this website, and one of the owners is a regular member here and they are great people to deal with, I also want to remind readers that Discover Baja has been around a long time and can provide members of their club with discounts on the cost of the insurance. The owners and staff are great, too. Daily policies are available to non- club members, as well.

In my opinion, Baja Nomads have two great sources to get their Mexican auto insurance at. When you like both, it's not easy to only mention only one. I have tried to always include the other when mentioning one.

Discover Baja Travel Club sells the same brands of insurance as Baja Bound. Club membership (I have been a member since almost their beginning) also provides you with other discounts in Baja and services at the club. Including discounts on the largest selection of Baja books and maps for sale (and they sell to non-members, too). You can purchase my mission history books there. They also have an on-line purchasing system for the insurance. www.discoverbaja.com

I have purchased policies from both and received great service from both.
So, like a good news service should do, I am reporting about both companies and you can decide!

Shilling for your friends? Any California surplus lines brokerage can sell insurance though Mexican based carriers.

People. Do your due diligence about the carriers who these brokers are offering.

It is true that some are really better than others. Check out the public response to the carriers and not the brokers.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 03:48 PM

Just want to be fair and I want my Internet friends to know my thoughts about these two San Diego companies. If I mention Baja Bound more, it shouldn't be construed that I like Discover Baja less. I like them both.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 03:49 PM

Check out the track record for the brokers also. Who will personally answer the phone when you call after an accident.....been there, done that and have the T-shirt to prove it..........I will "shill" for Bajabound every time.

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

Shilling for your friends? Any California surplus lines brokerage can sell insurance though Mexican based carriers.

People. Do your due diligence about the carriers who these brokers are offering.

It is true that some are really better than others. Check out the public response to the carriers and not the brokers.
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 11:08 PM

I love Discover Baja. Been a member forever and have used many of their services. The thing I love the most is their Great customer service and friendly atmosphere on the phone and in person. Not hey are always willing to help.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 06:09 AM

Another good club is Vagabundos del Mar - they do "group" travel activities in Baja for newbies, insurance, FMMs, fishing licenses, etc. We have been with them since starting our Baja adventures in 2003.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 08:21 AM

And...we have had a claim with Vagabundos and it was handled professionally and completely with repairs in the US. Heard good reports on claims settlements with DB and BB also. Most importantly, have Mexican insurance when travelling south.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 08:28 AM

FMM's and fishing licenses are more expensive through the travels clubs.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 10:47 AM

I wonder how much of a profit the US based Mexican car insurance sellers make?(Bajabound and DiscoverBaja). There could be a significant markup, I dunno.

Has anyone ever stopped by an insurance agent's office in Mexico to see how much the same policy would cost? There may be a substantial savings on annual policies.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I wonder how much of a profit the US based Mexican car insurance sellers make?(Bajabound and DiscoverBaja). There could be a significant markup, I dunno.

Good ?. I'm thinking maybe not much. I believe the $ for writing a policy may be close to the same, in the US/Mex, 1 of the above replies is from a San Felipe based ins.
Brokers I'm familiar with. Never did understand the buying fmm's or fishing
licenses from the travel clubs, even if one is already a member.
Paying an extra $12 dlls. + for an fmm, don't know the markup
on the license. What is the interest in a prepaid tourist card?
Cost more, time saved nada. I have to say reports from Bajabound show Geoff does his best in the event of an incident,
although the Mex Ins Co seems to have the option to live up
to the policy. Was a post re: not being offered the insured
amount on a policy after a theft, they generally go off the
mid range private mkt. value of the vehicle as opposed to
what amount 1 may insure it for on the policy

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 11:38 AM

over the years i've bought yearly policies from all the players, factor in travel clubs membership fee's and pricing is really close. now I choose to use mexican brokers, the pricing is still about the same.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 11:46 AM

If pricing is about the same (I believe it is), then is it not beneficial to have someone who strongly supports our love of Baja and is motivated to have more Baja Nomad clients by treating any claims problems quickly and completely? The San Diego based dealers mentioned want our repeat business and so they are motivated even beyond the norm to make sure the Mexican companies provide excellent service.

del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 12:06 PM

If pricing is about the same (I believe it is), then is it not beneficial to have someone who strongly supports our love of Baja and is motivated to have more Baja Nomad clients by treating any claims problems quickly and completely? The San Diego based dealers mentioned want our repeat business and so they are motivated even beyond the norm to make sure the Mexican companies provide excellent service.

most here will urge folks to buy building materials,gas,food,alcohol here rather than bringing it in from the u.s. people come down for inexpensive medical and dental....whats the difference with an insurance policy? spend and keep the money in mexico?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 01:16 PM

Representation if there is a claim, and that you will be driving for some distance before getting to your agent in Mexico. What if you are hit in Tijuana 3 blocks from the border on your way to try and find an agent. Is he open when you cross the border? Just lots of reasons to get covered before you enter Mexico, on-line.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 01:58 PM

If you enter Mexico without Mexican insurance are you not illegal?
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 02:48 PM

Representation if there is a claim, and that you will be driving for some distance before getting to your agent in Mexico. What if you are hit in Tijuana 3 blocks from the border on your way to try and find an agent. Is he open when you cross the border? Just lots of reasons to get covered before you enter Mexico, on-line.

my bad david, what I didn't make clear is like many here I don't cross the border, im sure most full time expats also use a mexican broker, it doesn't make sense to buy a mexican product in the u.s.
that said even if I were a tourist I would still support a mexican broker for a yearly policy. jmho
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 04:08 PM

I think the two San Diego agents and the one up by Sacramento also named are not after Mexico residents to sell tourist policies to as much as the rest of us who live north of the border and vacation in Baja. We want to be covered the second we are in Mexico.

Tom, you do not have to buy any insurance if you own your car in full, but liability alone would always be wise. Financed cars must have full coverage if your bank is allowing you to take the car into Mexico.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If you enter Mexico without Mexican insurance are you not illegal?

Not if you have a passport and an FMM. You're just sol if you have an accident

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.