Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexican 5 and Coco
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 05:07 AM
Mexican 5 and Coco

I drove up Mexico 5 this past Tuesday and the infamous 23 mile stretch past Coco's was a bit slower than the last couple times I have been through there. Quite bad washboard to the east of Coco's and rougher than normal to the west. Can't give you my total travel time because I spent some time with her Coco. It is still totally passable with a high clearance sedan but just seemed rougher to me. A lot of construction traffic too. Huge Cat dump trucks made the road seem especially narrow in places. In the interest of full disclosure, I did not air down on this trip. That could have affected my perception of the road conditions.

I spent an hour or so at Coco's and as usual enjoyed his cold beer and stories. He told me so me interesting tales about abalone diving in Bahia Asuncion and the La Bocana area in the late 50's. Quite different than today.

He has a TV with DVD player and requested some DVD on my return trip next week. Bang bang shoot em up movies are his preference. Keep this in mind if you are traveling through the area. He said said he would give me 6 beers if I brought him a DVD. I negotiated with him and got him down to 1 beer and a couple stories of old Baja. Your results suits may vary.

He also has an 84 AMC Eagle, 4wd the needs a rear differential. He asked me to check on prices and availability. That is about all I know about the vehicle. I have found some rebuild kits and pinion gears but not sure if hat solves his problem. Will ask more questions on the way through next week.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 06:32 AM

Also went through there tuesday. Some bridges passable and east and west ends you can drive on road bed. Middle part as said...it was worse. Passed 5 semis. dive time with flatbed trailer was 1 3/4 hours.

Oh and no work restart yet on middle section.

[Edited on 9-10-2016 by rts551]
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 08:20 AM

Great update on road conditions! I will be passing through next month, and will bring Coco a movie or two.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.