Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Todos Santos Music Festival takes a siesta
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2016 at 03:26 PM
Todos Santos Music Festival takes a siesta

From the Facebook post from Peter Buck and Chloe Johnson about the festival:
"Unfortunately there will not be a festival in 2017. We're taking a year off to assess the situation and see if it's viable to continue the festival in its present form. As many are aware the festival has faced significant logistical and financial challenges over the last 5 years. Ideally, a festival like this would become self-sustaining after a period of time; so far, that has not happened. In spite of all of the hurdles, we've enjoyed staging 5 fantastic festivals so far and we've been honored to supply much-needed assistance to local Todos Santos residents. Hopefully, solutions can be found to our challenges and we'll be back in 2018 with a bigger and better festival. In the mean time please consider aiding our primary charitable partner, The Palapa Society Of Todos Santos, A.C.. Thanks for your interest and support."

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2016 at 06:27 PM

It couldn't be because they were threatened with deportation last year and he skipped the country, could it?
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2016 at 05:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
It couldn't be because they were threatened with deportation last year and he skipped the country, could it?

Well, sure. Peter Buck's "commentary" during the festival's finale got him in hot water with the authorities. It also put any hope of getting outside sponsorship in jeopardy.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2016 at 07:43 AM

Too bad. The charity is the one to suffer.
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2016 at 03:47 PM

Another backlash I don't hear spoken about is the real estate aspect for gringos. The bad US press generated with the Peter Buck deportation, the Tress Santos development/fishing cooperative fight and also the lady who made the movie about losing her property has reached some of the California real estate agencies. I know this as my brother and a cousin are involved in California real estate and both have heard of talk of not buying in Todos Santos due to the "problems" through other agents.

Now some of you may say this is not a backlash, but a good thing slowing down the development of Todos Santos. Who knows? Just thought I'd pass that along.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2016 at 05:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MexicoTed  
Another backlash I don't hear spoken about is the real estate aspect for gringos. The bad US press generated with the Peter Buck deportation, the Tress Santos development/fishing cooperative fight and also the lady who made the movie about losing her property has reached some of the California real estate agencies. I know this as my brother and a cousin are involved in California real estate and both have heard of talk of not buying in Todos Santos due to the "problems" through other agents.

Now some of you may say this is not a backlash, but a good thing slowing down the development of Todos Santos. Who knows? Just thought I'd pass that along.

How ironic would it be if - in trying to punish Peter Buck for his tirade - the local authorities unwittingly unleashed a backlash that ultimately hurt Tres Santos?

As for me, while I was always somewhat skeptical of Tres Santos, my love for Todos Santos and El Pescadero continues unabated.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 04:17 PM
Tropic of Cancer Concert Series

It's not exactly a one-for-one substitution, but the Tropic of Cancer Concert Series will be taking place in Todos Santos between January 12th and 21st. Two of the performers, the Autumn Defense and La Santa Cecilia, have performed at the Todos Santos Music Festival in the past, but most lean in more of a singer-songwriter direction. Taking place in multiple venues, including La Esquina at sunset, it offers attendees more exposure to Todos Santos - for better or worse.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 08:52 PM

Todos has gone through a number of cycles past 20 years.

Buck will be forgiven and return to play with REM.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2016 at 07:39 AM

Lots of good music around town. At least 4/5 artists playing every weekend in small, comfortable settings. Coming down to play at the Ukelele Fest PD? Yoga? Save the Dogs? I don't know how I find time to throw down some cold ones at Franks. My mission in Life. Tomas
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2016 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Lots of good music around town. At least 4/5 artists playing every weekend in small, comfortable settings. Coming down to play at the Ukelele Fest PD? Yoga? Save the Dogs? I don't know how I find time to throw down some cold ones at Franks. My mission in Life. Tomas

Tio - We'll only be in town for a week and will only catch the last night of the series, but we certainly won't be bored. Even if we are, we'll just look for you at Frank's...

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2016 at 05:37 PM

If there's a "backlash" it sure isn't obvious, there is building and development going on everywhere you look around here. I'm kind of wishing there was more of a backlash, the place is getting crowded.

"The future ain't what it used to be"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.