BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best E load rated truck tire (Highway Tread)
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 10:24 PM
Best E load rated truck tire (Highway Tread)

Michelien Defender MS
Yokohama HTS
Cooper HT

Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

By best I mean softest smoothest ride.
I will be putting them on a 2008 F350 4x4 Offroad.
Also known as the "Bone Crusher".
I have Perrelli Scorpians which I have needed to run at 25-30 pounds just to survive in it. The scorps are great but I have never needed to load 1 ton in it. Literally rock hard when inflated to the max at 80 pounds I think.
I tried to buy lower load rated tires but the shop wouldn't do it.
I had the perrellis on my f150 and it rode like a car. But lower rating.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 05:53 AM

Nitto Dura Grappler HT or Terra Grappler in AT config

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 06:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

I have Perrelli Scorpians which I have needed to run at 25-30 pounds just to survive in it. The scorps are great but I have never needed to load 1 ton in it. Literally rock hard when inflated to the max at 80 pounds I think.

Sounds like you bought too big a truck and as a consequence have developed back pain.
If you sell the truck, the money you save on fuel and chiropractors will allow you to retire 3 years earlier :lol::lol:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 06:56 AM

Which tire is best is like asking which lure is best.

LaPlayaENC

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 07:25 AM

Toyo Open Country MT or RT
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Which tire is best is like asking which lure is best.

Chrome Kroc 1.5 oz chrome prism tape by mile......no comparison

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 08:21 AM

I will be facing the same question in the next year. You have to load that truck to get any semblance of a smooth ride. My buddy with the Sierra 3500 single axle has had the best luck with the Michelins. While they are pricey, they have great service and warranty provisions. I'm still running my OEM rubber on my Sierra 2500 with pressures of 50 Front and 60 rear and a continuous small load in the bed.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 08:28 AM

I use the Michelin's and am very happy. All the tires are rock hard at 80 psi. Just the nature of the beast.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 08:34 AM

Thats why they last!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 08:36 AM

I got 150K miles off my Michelins which were 50psi on a Tacoma. They're a bit rougher than some tires but not much. I use them for highway and offroad.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 08:59 AM

Of the three you listed , and the purpose you gave, I would say Michelin... plus you should be able to get those at Costco.

I have used Cooper and they were always great (as were Toyo).

Probably would not go with Yokohama, based on recent failures reported in off road racing with them (just a rumor, I heard).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Yep

Sounds like you bought too big a truck and as a consequence have developed back pain.
If you sell the truck, the money you save on fuel and chiropractors will allow you to retire 3 years earlier :lol::lol:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Of the three you listed , and the purpose you gave, I would say Michelin... plus you should be able to get those at Costco.

I have used Cooper and they were always great (as were Toyo).

Probably would not go with Yokohama, based on recent failures reported in off road racing with them (just a rumor, I heard).

Take your Costco quote to AMERICA'S TIRE and they will slightly beat that price if they can get the tires, and give you great service. That has been my experience, anyway. I agree that it is hard to beat Michelin's for the application you describe, Fishbuck.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I use the Michelin's and am very happy. All the tires are rock hard at 80 psi. Just the nature of the beast.

Why do you run 80psi? The only time I have ever run 80psi was on the snowcat trailer. The pressure on the side of the tire is the maximum recommended for the maximum load as stated on the tire. I run a pressure that allows the tire to ware flat across the tread.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 05:15 PM

Since you are not going to be running that one ton truck fully loaded, a wider, softer tire makes perfect sense, even if it is not Load range E.

I found a great deal on a set of Goodyear Wranglers at Sam's club, but they would not mount that size on my Kia (225/75/15 vs. 205 stock) It was a good enough deal that I went home, pulled the wheels off and took them back to the store in another vehicle.

They mounted them, and I have never had any flack from them when I go back for rotating and balancing as needed. They did not quibble when I got my second set last year, since I came in with that size on the car.

If it was my truck, I would get a second set of wider rims and mount whatever you like on them. Save the stock ones in case you need to haul some weight again, or want to sell the truck.

By the way, I had a thousand pounds of oak in that Kia yesterday on those same tires (load range C)

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 05:35 PM

OTOH, load E tires are a requirement on your truck in the USA, don't know about Mexican law. Tire size is a totally different issue with wear and tear on the engine and transmission if you go to extremes. I've seen folks put lesser tires on 3/4 ton pickups only to have them fail acutely causing crashes. No problems with changing the size of tire and rim, lift the truck if you want but stick with the Load E, IMHO.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 06:11 PM

So the winner is ...

Michelin Defender LTX M/S
LT295 /70 R17 121R E1 BSW

Pricey but cool.

I'm splurging a bit wider than stock.

Discount tire looks cheapest.

[Edited on 9-22-2016 by fishbuck]

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 07:05 PM

I went though this too on my Dodge 4x4 diesel. Never again will I run E rated tires. This truck rides in baja 90% of the time,I feel your pain fish. The last two sets tires BFGs 315x16 they max at 50psi.They ride 100% better then E rated tires I lowered them down to 20psi for hard off road sand.As far as towing with the D rated tires 40ft house trailer loaded,and four dirt bikes tools in the truck.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 07:34 PM

No doubt. I found some D tires but they are out of production and they wouldn't mount them on my truck anyway.
The Perellis have been great and have worn well at 25-30 pounds. They still look fully inflated because of having 10 ply.
But they are just above the wear bars so it's time. The ride is bad now. And bouncey. And slighty death wobbly. So ocassionally scary.

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 08:14 PM

Michelin MS has always worked well on my F250 diesel :cool:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.