BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chance to become legal for some of you...
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 02:11 PM
Chance to become legal for some of you...

From the Gringo Gazzete-
"Amnesty Offered for Gringos Here Illegally

For others, too, but you don’t care about them, do you?

Immigration officials are offering amnesty to an estimated 10,000 to 15,000 illegal residents, giving them the chance to gain legal status.They are targeting the undocumented residents of Mexico, most of whom are here from many South American countries, but it applies to those from the United States as well.

The Mexican government has been lax in requiring documents from those traveling from the U.S. but they are starting to require legal documents so this is a great chance to begin the process of legalization.

This amnesty program is temporary, and is for those who entered Mexico prior to January 9, 2015. Who came up with these dates?

Applicants will have to prove their Mexican residence by either showing a lapsed temporary resident's permit, a lease, or without paper documentation, have two witnesses vouch for an applicant's residence in Mexico during the required dates. Well, that's going to cost you a few drinks, if you have friends like ours.

Once the application has been accepted by officials, immigrants are considered temporary residents for from one to four years, and if needed, they are issued a work permit. After that, applicants will have the opportunity to become permanent residents.

For more info on this, read the next issue of that loveable paper, the Gringo Gazette."
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 08:51 AM

wow. great offer.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2016 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  

Applicants will have to prove their Mexican residence by either showing a lapsed temporary resident's permit, a lease, or without paper documentation, have two witnesses vouch for an applicant's residence in Mexico during the required dates.

Free RT status to anybody who has been living there since last year?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2016 at 02:12 PM

These offers, just as their predecessors, don't really shake the bushes as much as intended. Scofflaws will continue to be as such for reasons of their own, normally a lack of respect, and a sense of being above the law.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 09:44 AM

although I feel that, currently, visas and documents are hardly needed in northern Baja (I live in Playas, I cross every day, I have no visa) - I am very interested in this plan, as I would like to obtain my Temporary Residence Visa, since I am planning to head further south in a year. Also who knows things could suddenly change. My US passport expires next year, I sent it in to the Dept of State for renewal, so I am crossing with no passport right now, just my SENTRI which MX does not honor, so I admit I feel a little nervous especially knowing that I can not cross on foot right now.

I'll pick up a copy of the paper and please keep us informed.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 06:37 PM

SlyOnce, if you cross every day, why not just apply for temp. residency at the Mex. Consulate in the States? Like most folks who want that status do. This amnesty thing is more for people who have been living in Mexico for many years illegally and for financial, physical, or other reasons canīt get to a consulate outside of the country to do the regular application process.
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 08:56 AM

Thank you Surabi, I can easily apply at the MX consulate in San Diego, but this costs a lot of money! Over 4000 pesos, with payments here in SD and also in TJ, and its a big time commitment too. if there is amnesty and its free I would be interested.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
Thank you Surabi, I can easily apply at the MX consulate in San Diego, but this costs a lot of money! Over 4000 pesos, with payments here in SD and also in TJ, and its a big time commitment too. if there is amnesty and its free I would be interested.

is that doing it yourself or using a facilitator?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 09:21 AM

If Mexico ever gets serious about immigration (like deportation and confiscation), I suspect many will quit living here illegally.
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 09:13 AM

To get the Temporary Resident Visa, you have to prove you live in MX using rental receipts, you have to prove income of over $ US 4000/month, you have to provide bank statements showing a balance of over $5K / month over the last 6 months, and you have to pay! The fees are substantial, over 4000 pesos. That is here at the embassy in San Diego, then you have to go to the gov office in TJ (that is where a "facilitator" comes in), and you have to pay again and wait, and wait and probably come again another day, then you finally get it, and it's good for one year! Do it again for 3 more years and you can get your permanent, and then, guess what benefit you get, you lose the right to drive your US plated car in MX. I went through this before, and decided to just get the 6 month tourist visa when needed (like when driving south).

Now, however, if there is amnesty for I guess the 4000 Hatians in TJ, they must be waiving the income and bank statement requirements and I presume the fees, too, since those poor people couldn't possibly pay.

Also I am about to retire and lose some of my income and stay in Baja long term instead of crossing every day and I might even go to La Paz so now might be a good time to get it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 09:39 AM

Unless it's changed since the RT went into effect a couple years ago, the minimum income is well below 4000.00 US. It was somewhere around 1900.00 US and I seem to remember that there was a DOWNWARD revision of that amount, about a year ago.

But I agree with the thinking that the tourist permit is sufficient, given that I go back to the US within six months, especially since one can now get the permit on line and just get it stamped by INM.

The RT is too expensive and the end game after four years, RP, is not worth the requirement to drive a Mexican plated vehicle.

[Edited on 11-3-2016 by Hook]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
{income for RT} was somewhere around 1900.00 US

Yes. Alternatively, one could show proof of solvency about $US 25,000 if I'm not mistaken. There was much higher number posted initially, about 100K, but it was revised downwards later. This is for RT.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 08:39 PM

Slyonce,
Did you actually ask at the San Diego Consulate re income requirements, or is this what someone told you? Because, as other posters have noted, the numbers to show solvency you gave are far higher than what is required anywhere else, as is the amount for the temp. visa.

And I donīt read anywhere that the temp. residency through the amnesty program is actually free. Just that you can come forward and get legal status if youīve been living here for a long time without having to go through the consulates. Iīd be surprised if there were no fees involved.

Check out the Chapala Webboard forums. There is some very accurate info on there re immigration ins and outs as well as the real numbers for solvency verification, and cost of visas. Just type your topics in the search engine there.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 08:47 PM

P.S.
I am now RP, and though it killed me to have to give up my awesome Canadian-plated, made in Japan Honda CRV, I can work without any special permission or further visas, and donīt have to go back to INM to reapply for temp visas anymore, with the attendant fees. So in the end, Iīm glad I have that status.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 07:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
P.S.
I am now RP,............ I can work without any special permission or further visas,

I'm not so sure this is correct. Residing and working are two separate things.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 12:23 PM

I remember an extract from INM regulations - posted on Yucalandia - that says RP are allowed to work, RT need to apply for work permit.

Wouldn't be surprised if Mex law was as confused as usual in this case, and RP cards issued to gringo retirees wouldn't allow working.
Who needs to work after 65, anyway :) ...

[Edited on 11-4-2016 by Alm]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 07:35 PM

I am not remembering, guessing or assuming. Anyone with a Permanent Visa is allowed to work in Mexico. That is the law. There is a requirement to let INM know if you change occupation or workplace, but it is not a request for permission, just keeping them informed.

And not every gringo who gets an RP is retired, duh. And not everyone over 65 doesnīt need to work.

And RTs donīt apply for a work permit- it is a different visa called Residente Temporal Lucrativa.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 07:58 PM

That must be a sad life, without remembering or assuming anything :). To help with this problem, here is the official text:

"Artículo 60. Las condiciones de estancia que cuentan con permiso de trabajo son las siguientes:
I. Residente temporal cuando se adquiera por oferta de empleo;
II. Residente permanente; "

http://dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5276967&fecha=...

I'm sorry for those who still "need" to work over 65, - hopefully there aren't too many. Of course, when somebody at this age works because he wants to, - this is different.

[Edited on 11-5-2016 by Alm]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.