BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scholarship students Xmas party 2016 -new group photo!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 10:31 PM
Scholarship students Xmas party 2016 -new group photo!

Today was the culmination of 6 months of preparation. Thank you to each and every one of you that helped out either with a donation, a ride for one or a kind word!

First was shopping for the fixings - I made 2 lasagnas, my friend Mary made a chicken casserole, I also made coleslaw, cucumber salad, brownies, key lime pie, flan and a friend made her special 3 tiered jello:

Then I got the presents lined up:

and the chairs lined up:

and the fun began! An hour of talking, sharing experiences, the sophomores, juniors and seniors each gave advice and the soon to be freshman voiced their concerns:

I forgot to mention that Les made a delicious creamed corn for the kids!

It was a magical day.....this year the theme was "what happens after college" since I need the seniors to decide if they will go for their Masters or start job hunting.

I feel so proud of them - every single one overcame obstacles this past year and came out ahead. One traveled by plane for the first time, three of them visited the mainland for the first time and really loved the experience, two have chosen their thesis projects. Some could not make it and we will have a small version of today in January so they can get their presents.

THANKS AGAIN. NONE OF THIS WOULD BE POSSIBLE WITHOUT YOUR WONDERFUL HELP.

PEACE TO ALL AND A MERRY, MERRY CHRISTMAS.

:tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble:

[Edited on 12-19-2016 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 12-23-2016 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 06:47 AM

:bounce: You make make the world a better place in your own way, thank you!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 07:38 PM

Thanks MMc - you were GREAT to help out!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2016 at 07:55 AM
the "kids"

Blanca - are these the local kids that are now just going off to college for the first time, returning from some college, or both? You and your helpers are doing great things that these will appreciate more and more over in the coming years.

John M
gator
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2016 at 08:46 AM

Awsome. Keep up the good work.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2016 at 07:44 AM

hello all - those kids are all mixed - some are entering their senior year in college, some are juniors, some are sophomores and 4 (the ones on the left in the photo) are high school seniors.

I work with the high school seniors for one year mentoring and studying English before I accept them and find sponsors. There were 7 potential scholarship recipients this year and I booted 3 out already. If I don't feel they are 100% committed to their futures, I have to let them go, no matter how smart they are (they have to have straight A's to even be considered).

The beauty of the Christmas party is that each student is able to share their experiences for the past year and this is golden information.

That God chose me to do this makes me so happy! I love these kids as if they were my own.

Come visit La Bocana

cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2016 at 08:10 AM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years, you guys are the best. Cliff and Carol
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2016 at 06:16 PM

Right back atcha Cliff! Merry Christmas and Happy 2017!

Come visit La Bocana

ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 12-22-2016 at 07:19 AM

:bounce: Way to go Blanca ! You made my holidays ,Better .
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2016 at 06:45 PM

and my camera ran out of juice at the end of the party, when I wanted to take a photo with each student. So, I had the spare battery with me. No go, the camera decided to go on the blink at that precise moment.

So, Cyndi, my super friend who was my general manager at the party, said she could take a photo of all of us - missing due to school not being let out yet are Alondra, Alfonso, Pablo, Mary, Donaldo, Cristina and Olympia. We will have a separate party for them - All the ones in the photo are currently in college and passing all their classes. I am ever so proud of them!

Come visit La Bocana

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2016 at 08:16 PM

What a beautiful group photo!!
Blanca don't ever stop or even think about stopping, please ...
La Bocana is a better place because of what you do, and so is the rest of the world - you are a far reaching teach :bounce:
All best wishes L&T

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 08:43 AM

:biggrin: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU L & T.

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.