BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: San Felipe, tourist permit?
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Who said anything about free access to Mexico but not the U.S. Myself and many others follow the rules and laws of Mexico. I carry an annual insurance policy on both my trucks and I get an FMM permit as necessary when I cross the border. I renew my passport when due. I do not cross into Mexico illegally. I cross at the designated entry locations.

Me to, I just wanted clarification on the tourist permit rule for San Felipe. :lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 12:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There are only two countries that Americans can drive into from America. For that reason, Canada and Mexico are not 'lumped into' the rest of the world's rules for travel.

So because Americans can drive into Mexico and Canada, you think those sovereign countries should just give Americans a free pass?

Driving into Mexico is different than arriving by ship or airplane. I didn't think I had to explain that. As mentioned we are legal, insured, and love Mexico. If every vehicle entering Mexico was stopped and all Canadians and Americans had to park and walk into INM, traffic would be backed up to San Clemente. They don't enforce the rule to prevent chaos. Nobody would drive into Mexico if it took 5 hours to cross the border. It sometimes takes that long to get back across to the U.S. and that cuts Mexico travel already.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 12:45 PM

In past years walking into Los Algodones meant just that. you just walked in. To the untrained eye, the border line wasn't there. Walking in, though, you knew that to get out, you needed to show a passport and that someone would be checking what you were carrying back with you. The line-ups often lasted two hours for your retreat. One time we took the bicycle-driven trip out. Even the Mexican, who was just turning around after we disenbarked, had to show a passport. The last time we were there, no bicycles to expedite the exit. Theyhad been discontinued for some reason.

We stood in line, as usual, but this was a sign that some things were changing, political will somewhere, had pushed some buttons. When that happens, there can be changes elsewhere, as well (on the other side). The usual answer is what is happening in DC, not DF., nor Ottawa. With border checks gone in European countries, they increased in the west.

As Canadians, stopped many miles from the Mexican border, traveling in a Canadian - plated vehicle, we were always admonished for not having passports to show, then and there. At that point we later learned, it was up to the border people (so far from a border!) to maybe stop and search us, up to and including a strip search. They came down from Palm Springs to give us that information, while we were staying at Fountain Of Youth RV Resort, above the Salton Sea. With 70 % Canadians in attendance, they needed to get the message out. For the silver haired with their hearing aids tuned in, they got there message across, to a bout of direct questions. And we thought Canadians were so polite.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.