Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: free FMM when you fly
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 01:31 PM
free FMM when you fly

reading on another site that some commercial airlines won't be offering FMM's...mexico wants you to print em online and there will be no cost, regardless of length of stay. I believe before the cost was in your ticket?

http://www.mexicotouristcard.com/
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 02:33 PM

Looks like some cost cutting for the airlines? Though many people who fly don't stay longer than the free two weeks.... (or is it 72 hours?, I get forgetful).
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Looks like some cost cutting for the airlines? Though many people who fly don't stay longer than the free two weeks.... (or is it 72 hours?, I get forgetful).

I thought the website says its free for 180 days if you fly and print it in advance (30 days)

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 03:19 PM

thats a pretty decent savings for a family!

I don't fly so I don't know about things but bajabound makes it sound like the free 7 day tourist card is only for land crossers?

"The free tourist card (FMM): The tourist card is free if your stay in Mexico is 7 days or less and you are traveling by land into Baja. This isn't frequently advertised. Ask your local INM official."

[Edited on 7-31-2018 by willardguy]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 04:18 PM

The only time I have flown to Mexico, the FMM was included in the ticket cost. It was also turned in when boarding the flight back to the US!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The only time I have flown to Mexico, the FMM was included in the ticket cost. It was also turned in when boarding the flight back to the US!

so maybe the airlines never paid the govt and it was FREE all the time

[Edited on 7-31-2018 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
so maybe the airlines never paid the govt and it was FREE all the time

Very likely. The old "service fee" scam.

John
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 05:16 PM

Actually it really isn't a scam. Flying from LAX to Loreto or anywhere in Baja for that matter (and probably mainland as well) I get reimbursed for the "tourist tax" which is included in the airline ticket price. I believe that is what they call it and they take out automatically when you fly and is another word for the FMM.

This is due to being a Residente Permenente. It comes out to approximately $23 depending on the value of the $ to the peso at the time.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 05:33 PM

for a family of four thats an extra hundred bucks in the vacation fund....not bad!
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 06:31 PM

Ain't bad for a family on one!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 08:23 PM

You must be talking about flying from the US. Flying out of TJ for a 7 day trip, no cost for your visa.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 8-1-2018 at 10:18 AM

I read this in a different way. Knowing that Mexico's larger airports are going to a Kiosk machines system in order to expedite the large volume of tourist through their airports, this article is advising travelers to download the form (which is free) that way the traveler's information is already in the Mexican INM system when that traveler approaches the INM agent. The fee is still charged to the traveler's airline ticket.

Actually, I have noticed when flying into SJD that the airlines are now giving you a customs form but telling the passengers the Mexican Government did not provide the airline with the INM forms so travelers will be met once they depart the plane by agents with the INM form that will need to filled out before they can go to the INM counter. Having R/Ps, we do the opposite by starting the process before leaving the country so we already have our "top portion" of the form to turn-in. The SJD airport allows R/P & T/P to go through the Mexican citizen line which is "sweeeet"!!!!

Think about a tourist that is driving across the border and how they can go online to get their FMM form, then they go to the Mexican boarder agent before crossing into Mexico. Yes, it is true one can keep their FMM when driving out of Mexico but it is the Mexican Government that requires all commercial airlines to collect both a tourist (FMM) fee plus all Mexican airport departure fees. Both these fees are charged in every airline ticket that originates from (flys out of) a non-Mexican city. It is also the Mexican Government that requires the airlines to collect the FMM form when boarding the airplane. Trust me the airlines do not have a vote in this...they just do what they are told...if they want to continue flying into Mexico or any country.

Have you every wonder why you are asked multiple times to show your passport before you get on the plane. Yes, you showed it at the ticket counter when you arrived at the airport but you would be amazed how many people can misplace their passport from the time they check-in their luggage to the time they get on a the plane. They left it at TSA, in the bathroom, in the food court, they allowed their child to hold it or it fell out of their pocket. If a passenger getting on a commercial airline arrives in any foreign country in the world without their passport it is the airline that will receive a "hefty" fine, so to keep this from happening, airlines have put in many layers of conformation that the traveler has their passport in their possession when the gate agent allows them to walk down the jet way/jet bridge.

As Howard said, if you have an R/P or a T/P, then you can ask your airline to reimburse or waive the tourist (FMM) fee but not the Mexican airport departure fees...remember it does cost money to run an airport so this is a way, along with landing fees to maintain airports. Most airlines will ask for proof of the R/P or T/P so be prepared to jump through the hoops but it will save about $25 USD for each person's entry into Mexico via a commercial airline.

Mexican citizens that have a Mexican passport are charged Mexican airport taxes when they fly within or out of Mexico, they just don't pay the tourist (FMM) fees. Americans pay airport taxes when they fly within the USA...it is included in the price of the ticket.

It is worth mentioning, if you have a FMM in your possession when you drove out of Mexico...DO NOT give that "used" form to an IMN agent in any Mexican airport. The Mexican Government requires you to have a brand new (unused) two-part form. Do yourself a favor and keep that form in your vehicle for when you drive...not when you fly. I was told it is illegal to have FMMs in your possession...but I am not an expert on Mexican laws.

I don't make the rules...they do. I just follow them and it makes life so much easier.

BoneFisher...you are correct about no FMM fee out of TIJ for anyone as you are flying within the country, however you would have Mexican airport taxes/fee included in your ticket. Like the saying goes...death and taxes are inevitable!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.