Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flying into Mexico with dogs and other pets
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 02:12 AM
Flying into Mexico with dogs and other pets

I thought this information was quite interesting:

-- http://qroo.us/2018/10/06/mexicos-frequent-traveler-program-...

In our case, we drove Rex down and I think he went back to the US just once in the 12 years we have been here! He is as Baja as you can be.

rex-in-car2.jpg - 58kB

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 06:31 AM

I flew with my dog only one time. I could hear him in the cargo hold. Never again. Always drive now.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I flew with my dog only one time. I could hear him in the cargo hold. Never again. Always drive now.

Ditto...it was the look on our dogs face as she was about to drop down off the oversized chute with the golf clubs at the Cabo end.

Interesting article...lots to know if you are bringing a pet other than a cat or dog via air. Much simpler by ground. Also, it may not be easy or possible to take some pets back over the border, e.g quarantine restrictions for birds.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 09:25 AM
I guess I was lucky

Up to around 5 years ago I use to fly with my dog in the cargo hold maybe 5 or 6 times. It was always from LAX with no transfers and into Loreto and a long time ago into La Paz. The 2 dogs (at different times) were a Lab and Golden and weighed around 70 LBS. My trick to make him happy was I raised him from a puppy and used the large travel dog crate for training when they were young and they loved the shelter and safety of their cage. I also threw into the cage when traveling an old article of my clothing that had my scent. As a reward, upon landing first thing when they came out of the cage I gave them a really good piece of human food that I got from the flight attendant from the 1st class meals. That was a real treat as I normally I did not give them any human food. Alaska charged $100 each way and the pooch did not get frequent flier miles.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 10:12 AM

It is dangerous to put pets in cargo holds. Pets often die in transit, the airlines are very irresponsible. If they killed people passengers at the same rate they kill pets, you would not get on a plane. They kill/injure 1 in 12,675 pets transported as cargo (2017 DOT report). If they killed/injured 1 in 12,675 people passengers, would you ever get on a plane? If airlines killed people at rate they kill pets, then last year airlines would have killed/injured 5,912 passengers transiting LAX.

“The Transportation Department counted 506,994 animals transported last year, including 24 that died, 15 that were injured and one that was lost.

United has been criticized because 18 of those deaths happened on its flights. The airline has had the highest number of deaths in each of the last five years, with nine of 26 in 2016; 14 of 35 in 2015; five of 17 in 2014; and nine of 21 in 2013, according to the department’s Air Travel Consumer Reports.”

Last year LAX had 74,936,256 pax

[Edited on 10-7-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 10:29 AM

It's also very dangerous to go outside. I loved and cared for my pet as well as anyone but would never consider keeping him at home only because of the fear of death due to flying.

For me leaving the dog at home with friends or even with a doggie day care for a week or so VS the joy that the dog will have playing in Baja is a no thinker for me. Seeing my dog chase balls in the water, chasing sea gulls (of which he could never catch) and "be free" on remote beaches far outweighs the gamble of him dying on a plane. If dogs could smile he would of been ear to ear.

Caveat : Must be a non stop flight no more than 3 hours.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
It's also very dangerous to go outside. I loved and cared for my pet as well as anyone but would never consider keeping him at home only because of the fear of death due to flying.

For me leaving the dog at home with friends or even with a doggie day care for a week or so VS the joy that the dog will have playing in Baja is a no thinker for me. Seeing my dog chase balls in the water, chasing sea gulls (of which he could never catch) and "be free" on remote beaches far outweighs the gamble of him dying on a plane. If dogs could smile he would of been ear to ear.

Caveat : Must be a non stop flight no more than 3 hours.

1 in 5,900 chance of death or injury. Hey, if you place low value on your dog’s life, then go for it. If you value your dog’s life, perhaps won’t expose him/her to the risk. Your choice, your dog is not making the decision to live or die today.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 11:17 AM

Howard has got it right, the stress of a flight has to be second to being abandoned! Some dogs do better than others, my old dog passed away in 2015 at 15 years, and she hated flying, but loved being wherever we were going to.

She was seven years old the first time she flew, so I did what Howard suggested with the dog I have now. From the time I got her (at six months) the airline kennel has been her sanctuary at home. She is four years old now, has made three round trips from Alaska, and does not stress out.

I wish I could get a three hour direct flight, but the best I can book is about eight hours, with one layover. If it is more than an hour layover, I go down to the baggage transfer point and get her out of the kennel. I have to go through security again to board my flight, but it is worth the effort.

Under FWIW, or TMI, her bladder is good for at least 14 hours!

I fly Alaska Airlines, and I have never seen a dog kennel come through the luggage conveyor system! They are handled separately, and as carefully as possible! I have never flown into Mexico with a kennel.

[Edited on 10-7-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.