Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Teguas Anyone ?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 09:45 AM
Teguas Anyone ?

Have any of you owned and worn a pair of these handmade zapatos?

I bought a pair from a hardware store in Bahia Asuncion several months ago after noticing a local friend wearing a "well worn" pair ....asked him about them and he indicated they were made by folks in Sierra de San Francisco....a mountain/canyon community that is a remarkable example of self-sustaining rancheros.

Upon a closer examination of the construction of this brilliant shoe design, I see a working hinge principle that allows the front part of the shoe to be pliable in a way that doesn't bunch up the leather, the tire tread sole uses parts of the tire that are thicker than others to extend sole life, and the leather in the upper/tongue area uses a part of the hide where the leather thickness transitions from thick "bridle" leather over the instep to thinner, more pliable "latigo" leather where the tongue is....all in one piece of leather....which in my mind demonstrates a brilliant awareness of hide characteristics and shoe design.

They are stiff at first, but after some neatsfoot oil and using them a lot they break in nicely.

[Edited on 5-10-2019 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 11:55 AM

Vary interesting. I'm so going to check them out on my next time in Acuncion....

Thanks for the post..
Did you see any size 12 ?

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 12:08 PM

The hardware store (at the "Y") had several pairs....I got a size 9 and they fit my feet which usually take 10 1/2 - 11....and there is room for an insole insert....

Not a large selection and I didn't see them anywhere else in Asuncion....or several shoe stores in Vizcaino.

Apparently, if you go up to the main rancho in the sierras, they will make a custom pair....but I did not test that theory.

Some shoes were nailed while others were stitched....very good workmanship....the internet advertises commercial versions.

When I was a kid and living in California (San Diego), my dad bought me a pair of shoes with similar design, but suede leather.....and we called them "desert boots"....

I paid about $600 MP.

Don't believe everything you think....
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 05:14 PM

Buying the boots in Asuncion was a sound financial decision:

Clarks Originals Men's Desert Boot

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 06:30 PM

My teguas were made for me at Rancho Guadalupe in Sierra San Francisco. The gentleman who made the shoes had me stand on cardboard cut outs until he found one that fit. I put in my order before leaving on a mule trip, they were ready when I got back. The leather is nailed to the tire sole, which is slick not tread-y, making them fun to dance in on a waxed patio floor.
My teguas are made from goat skin, thinner leather than cow. I would love another pair, this time made from cow with the hair still on. I would also like tread on the tire sole.

P>*)))>{

Edited to add photo

[Edited on 13-5-2019 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 06:51 PM

If any of you Nomads (DavidK) has directions to the Rancho in Sierra San Francisco I would be most appreciative .

I did a search on here but didn't get the results I wanted..

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 07:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
If any of you Nomads (DavidK) has directions to the Rancho in Sierra San Francisco I would be most appreciative .

I did a search on here but didn't get the results I wanted..

http://sierrasanfrancisco.com/pdf/mapaSanFrancisco.pdf

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.