Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: We have an awesome visit with Harry Crosby
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 09:22 AM
We have an awesome visit with Harry Crosby

Harry Crosby, 93, photographer, author, historian, and resident of La Jolla, California is regarded as the leading expert on the Spanish occupation of (Baja or Antigua) California and the road they built from Loreto to San Diego and beyond... El Camino Real.

I first met Harry at the Serra Museum, in 2002, for the introduction of his book, Gateway to Alta California. We met again at the Pyramid Resort's first book signing party in 2003 and had fun talking about me driving a Tacoma to Mission Santa María a month before.

Since then we had a few email exchanges about Baja missions and history as I was researching for my future book (which includes a photo from Harry on El Camino Real).

A few days ago, I received an email from Harry's daughter asking me if I would like to have a load of Baja books (written by Harry, and a couple of other authors). The publisher was clearing their warehouse of excess copies of some titles and rather than destroy them, delivered them to Harry's house. Well, it was pretty massive and so through a third party learned that I have preserved Baja books in the past to keep them 'alive' just a bit longer (as in the case of Mike Humfreville's book).

Yesterday, my wife Elizabeth ('Baja Angel' on Nomad) and I drove to La Jolla and I asked Doug ('Baja Nomad') if he could join us there, visit with Harry, and maybe help me load the books onto my truck. Doug brought his son Ryland along to help. Ryland just graduated from high school and has grown into quite a strong, young man.

Harry had signed my collection of his books back in 2002, but I acquired his masterpiece, Antigua California, after that, so I brought it down for him to sign. I also gave him a signed copy of my book and I showed him where I put his 1967 photo of the cross-stone along El Camino Real.

It was a special moment for us and both Elizabeth and Doug took photos of Harry and I chatting and signing. Here are some of those photos:

Harry, Me, Ryland, Doug

Yes, I was pretty happy...

Ryland has Harry sign a couple of the books from the cases we picked up.

Harry signing my copy of Antigua California.

It was a great time for us to spend a few minutes with Harry, who will be turning 94.

It was a beautiful day and before our meeting, we had a few minutes to enjoy looking at the Cove at La Jolla... The water was incredibly clear and sea lions and divers were busy in the water.

I will soon post how you can get the books I picked up. They include The Cave Paintings of Baja California; Gateway to Alta California; Portrait of Paloma; some of Daniel Reveles' books; The coffee table book on the luxury homes of Los Cabos; and some of those huge folding-map Camino Real books... I need to take inventory. They will be available for just a little over the cost to get it to you and I want to get some to Antonio at Baja Cactus for him to use as a fundraiser for his emergency rescue service in El Rosario.

[Edited on 11-6-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 09:31 AM
Harry Crosby Books

Here are some of the books by Harry Crosby, in my library:

This first one, Harry was the photographer and how he was infected with Baja fever! From 1968.

1974:

1981:

1984:

1994:

1997:

2001:

2003:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 09:52 AM

Awesome!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 09:56 AM

Wow, I know Doug's son from our district! He is a really nice kid. I saw him the other day over at Sunset High.

John

[Edited on 11-6-2019 by John Harper]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 10:38 AM

David and Doug
What an awesome experience!!
I envy you both for the opportunity to sit and talk with this esteemed gentleman.
Next time invite me....
I am only a quick 500 miles away:D:D
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 11:34 AM

DK you mention Daniel Reveles in your book accounting. My wife and I are good friends of his and he was at our wedding in Tecate Mexico. In our home hangs his painting of the 'Onion man', a gentleman he writes prose around in one of his books. The 'Onion man' can still be seen outside the Catholic Church down from the zocola in Tecate.
We have spent time with Daniel at his hacienda prior to his selling it. He was a scriptwriter for Fantasy Island (the tv show) and had a huge collection of film in the can from that show. Ricardo Montalban use to visit his hacienda in the day.
Daniel has aged with some complications in his later days. We have missed the stories of his life he shared over much Tequila. His books are a lot of fun and take you to a place in Baja that comes from his mind only.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
DK you mention Daniel Reveles in your book accounting. My wife and I are good friends of his and he was at our wedding in Tecate Mexico. In our home hangs his painting of the 'Onion man', a gentleman he writes prose around in one of his books. The 'Onion man' can still be seen outside the Catholic Church down from the zocola in Tecate.
We have spent time with Daniel at his hacienda prior to his selling it. He was a scriptwriter for Fantasy Island (the tv show) and had a huge collection of film in the can from that show. Ricardo Montalban use to visit his hacienda in the day.
Daniel has aged with some complications in his later days. We have missed the stories of his life he shared over much Tequila. His books are a lot of fun and take you to a place in Baja that comes from his mind only.

I have his Tequila, Lime and Salt book he autographed when we met him at the Pyramid Resort... Yes, he is (was) a colorful writer and fun to chat with. We were going to take him home to Tecate as he lost his ride or it was a one-way deal. Someone came forward who was going that way before we needed to provide a ride. It would have been a pleasure to drive out of the way to hear his stories!

I have a case of his book 'Guacamole Dip' so other than one I will keep and read, the rest is going to be available... I will figure out how best to get these new books into Baja Nomad's hands.

2005 Book Signing

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 03:53 PM

It was a remarkable serendipitous opportunity to visit with Harry outside, and then in his office inside the home. He spoke passionately about his own opportunities to document the people and historic places in the mountain areas of the peninsula.

Thank you David for including Ryland and I yesterday.

:)

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 04:24 PM

It was my pleasure that you and Ryland were free to visit him with us and a big thanks to Ryland for helping me load the Tacoma.

My good fortune at being able to relieve Harry of the burden of all those boxes of new, uncirculated books is going to be shared with more Nomads than just you and Ryland... Nomads who live in San Diego County or nearby may contact me, u2u or email, and reserve a copy of any of these books I have remaining and then come here to pick them up (Between Escondido and Temecula just off I-15) otherwise we can figure how much to package and ship them to you.

Here are the titles I have now. Harry wrote three of these:

Gateway to Alta California
The Cave Paintings of Baja California
Guacamole Dip
Portrait of Paloma
Houses of Los Cabos
Houses by the Sea
El Camino Real (giant folding map/book)

The next two books are big, coffee-table style books:

The El Camino Real folding book is so big, I can only scan less than half at a time, so here are the top and bottom parts:

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 08:47 PM

That is so awesome .... it is always a thrill(that very rarely happens to me) to met a hero of mine.....

I know you have met him prior but I would guess every meeting with someone like him would be an honor!

[Edited on 11-7-2019 by Fatboy]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2019 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
That is so awesome .... it is always a thrill(that very rarely happens to me) to met a hero of mine.....

I know you have met him prior but I would guess every meeting with someone like him would be an honor!

[Edited on 11-7-2019 by Fatboy]

Indeed it was and has been always. Baja loving people are always great to visit with. On the Internet, it is not so 100%, lol!

Thank you who emailed or u2u'd me to reserve copies. There only a few of the giant El Camino Real books, so those may not be around much longer and they are too big to mail cheaply, I think?

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2019 at 05:20 PM

What a wonderful opportunity. Glad you had a wonderful time.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 08:59 AM

Thanks, Cindi!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.