BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Who would you call in Baja to come and help you when you are stuck?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 02:52 PM

10 psi is the magic number for many. Especially true for 3-ply sidewall tires or 2WDs.

The Tacoma generally floats well at 18 psi with the tires I use.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 03:00 PM

I had BFG AT KO tires.

In one of the SF250 races I was helping a class 8 race truck with a broken rear axle and therefore he only had 1 wheel drive. after getting stuck a couple of times we aired his BFG race tires down to 4 psi. He made it around about 3/4 of the race course but finally got stuck behind a buggy at the hwy jct of Matomi wash. I was really surprised at how well he went thru the sand. I think he was running 39x12.50 tires.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
...I think he was running 39x12.50 tires.

And I presume beadlock rims??? Without beadlocks, 4 psi combined with significant throttle would either spin the wheel within the tire and/or pop (disengage) the bead.

The reason I am noting that is to help others from making the mistake of trying that with normal (non-beadlock) wheels.

[Edited on 9-23-2021 by Maderita]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 03:43 PM

The lowest pressure I ever had my tires at to get 'unstuck' was 6 psi! In my first Tacoma around 2002. I was at 15 psi, dropped to 10, then to 8, and finally 6*. That was it and I drove out of the fluff. It is all about air pressure... Just drop it until you float!

This was on Shell Island during an extremely high tide that forced me to the base of the sand dunes... so powdery blow sand, very hot air temperature and dry! It worked and the high tide didn't swallow my first Tacoma! There was a dead whale that blocked the typical way and the tide was really high!

*There was an outside chance my gauge was off, but these numbers make a good story! What ever the PSI number is, just find the point that the tires will float on the sand instead of digging into it.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 08:19 PM

good one!

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Or get out of the sand like this guy-----
https://youtu.be/_9mmajFmVcc

A couple of observations about this video:
As TMW noted, the truck had locking diffs front and rear. That provides roughly 4x the traction available to a 2WD truck, and 2x more than a typical 4x4 with standard open diffs. That truck engine likely had way more than the average amount of torque.

I've found that at times, turning the steering wheel back and forth can assist; also at times while hunting for traction on loose hill climbs and on mud. But it is no magic solution as presented. It had more to do with locking diffs, torque at low rpm, and airing down.

Regarding airing down, he recommended 15-20 psi in the video. That is too much air for optimal flotation with those tires and on that truck. The truck made it out, but it is important to know that it could have done even better. Nearing the end of the video, the truck pulls onto flat sand. The slight bulge in the BFG AT's is noticeable, but not close to the threshold where there is risk of popping off the wheel bead. He could run dunes at 11-12 psi. To get unstuck, 10 psi. And if that doesn't do it, 8 psi, but only long enough to get out of the hole and unstuck.

That appeared to be a regular cab 1/2 ton truck. Unloaded, approx. 4,500 lbs. A heavier truck (1-ton, quad cab, diesel engine, and/or with a camper) would need a little more air. Add 2 or 3 psi to the above numbers.

When deflating, keep an eye on the sidewall. Ideally, the tire will make a smooth, uniform rounded bulge. Tires with stiff sidewalls may not bulge much as you air down until they buckle and form a crease. Crease = bad, so add a little more air to avoid damaging the tire and rim cuts.

I ran dunes (Glamis/Gordon's/Buttercup) with a 3,600 lb. Wrangler for a couple decades, both with rear paddles or on four 33 x 12.50 BFGs, locking diffs front and rear, bored & stroked I-6 making 260 hp. Keeping up with the buggies, I popped the beads a very few times running hard and jumping. Overall 10 psi was a good number. If the sand is wet and hard, air up to 14+ psi when deliberately pulling hard sliding turns (don't ask how I know ;)

I just noticed that what I had assumed were fake/cosmetic beadlock wheels on that truck may actually be true beadlocks. Beadlock wheels will accommodate even lower psi.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 09:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The lowest pressure I ever had my tires at to get 'unstuck' was 6 psi! In my first Tacoma around 2002. I was at 15 psi, dropped to 10, then to 8, and finally 6*. That was it and I drove out of the fluff. It is all about air pressure... Just drop it until you float!

This was on Shell Island during an extremely high tide that forced me to the base of the sand dunes... so powdery blow sand, very hot air temperature and dry! It worked and the high tide didn't swallow my first Tacoma! There was a dead whale that blocked the typical way and the tide was really high!

*There was an outside chance my gauge was off, but these numbers make a good story! What ever the PSI number is, just find the point that the tires will float on the sand instead of digging into it.

4-6psi on a jeep jk has been great for cruising the beach and the dunes. (35” tire 16” wheel)

15 psi on diesel superduty has provided great results in the beach with no worries. (35” tire 17” wheel)

[Edited on 9-23-2021 by Tioloco]
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 10:08 PM

I like to talk fractions (half pressure, ⅓ pressure, etc.) as heavier vehicles generally need higher pressures - like my van (10k lbs). I run roughly 50 highway, ⅔ of that on washboard, and ⅓ of full pressure on dry loose sand. I never go below that (about 16 PSI).

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 9-23-2021 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
As Geoffff, Pappy Jon, Mike Younghusband, etc. know... I am happy to relay your inReach or Spot device help messages, sent to me, on to Nomads or friends of yours. We will get it figured out so you are not without assistance!

While I was driving all over Baja alone doing the guide and map research for Baja Bound, several amigos here were following me because I had a DeLorme (now Garmin) inReach device. We could also exchange messages, sometimes almost instantly. It was a relief! My wife and I could also communicate.

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
Does it make sense to put together a "region by region" contact list for us nomads?

Friends of DavidK, 4x4abc, JZ, PaulW, Stucksucks, mtgoat666(even though we know he never goes to baja.. hahah! jk) etc, etc, etc,..

People that we actually KNOW down there that would be good resources for any of us when we run into problems, are stuck, are broken, etc? I think that would be a fantastic use of our combined resources!

[Edited on 9-20-2021 by aburruss]

Yes! That would be super great! I don't like imposing on people, but in a real emergency I could. I am happy to compile and forward on phone # info via PM if we want to make a list!

This is an idea that needs to happen. I would gladly put my information in the list.
I do a lot of way off the beaten path stuff. I carry an inreach unit, but have often wondered how that would work out if needed for a broken rig type of situation.
I have contacts that could get a hold of contacts, who could then get a hold of contacts, lol.
A dedicated group of folks with a region of Baja associated with them would be invaluable.

If this comes to fruition, count me in for a very large area in and around Punta Chivato and beyond.

Geoff, let me know if the list is a thing and I will get you my contact info.

I like beer, better than most people.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2021 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
...I think he was running 39x12.50 tires.

And I presume beadlock rims??? Without beadlocks, 4 psi combined with significant throttle would either spin the wheel within the tire and/or pop (disengage) the bead.

The reason I am noting that is to help others from making the mistake of trying that with normal (non-beadlock) wheels.

[Edited on 9-23-2021 by Maderita]

Yes he had beadlocks.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-23-2021 at 12:48 PM

All of my friends from states when in Mexico. If break down call me one thing I learned off road. Exhample if you have a Toyota badly stuck . When I got another buddy with Toyota to pull me out 😂. Now both Toyotas stuck with me having so many toys off road. I hardly use my Dodge turbo diesel 4x4 . It has been the truck to get all the others out .
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 07:12 AM

But,but,but.....I've been told an aired down Toyota is unstoppable.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 07:24 AM

Anything with 4 wheels does not get far in difficult places . I even got my sxs stuck last week. I prefer my dirt bike now that is unstoppable.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 07:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
But,but,but.....I've been told an aired down Toyota is unstoppable.

Driver's knowledge has a lot to do with it along with making good decisions on where to try and drive. Put an unskilled driver in the best off road truck, and getting stuck is very possible!
In my nearly 50 years of driving off road, the Off Road TRD Tacoma 4x4 has been the most amazing (and never stuck) vehicle. The only mechanical fail in 120,000 miles was when my rear brake drum broke, near Rancho el Coyote. Fortunately, bajatrailrider was there and loaned me a tool and knowledge that allowed me to drive home!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 09:41 AM

Yes David that route very nasty when you tried to it . 😂 When you took off we all said he will be back soon . We here surprised you broke brake line. as most normal 4x4s turn back . Same on misadventure motos I always tell them don't even think of it . 😂. In less then 30 min they return . Broken moto broken body I don't say I told you so there too beat up. It's not even a fun route on real dirt bike . We only do it to get to nice trails
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 11:27 AM

The rear drum assembly mount broke from the axle The brake jammed and dragged wheel rotation. The hydraulic piston seals failed, allowing brake fluid to leak, which happened after I limped back to El Coyote. The road was rough, but the brake fail is what turned me back. With your vise grips and Mike's rubber tube piece, we squeezed the brake line, halting fluid loss. I now have a can of brake fluid in my truck!

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.