Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Posting maps with colors
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2021 at 09:38 PM
Posting maps with colors

So Harald criticized me for using colors Ithaqt colorblind persons cannot see or get a color that is unwanted.
If you are colobling what are you favorite colors?
Here is what one survey said

Colors.jpg - 117kB
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-16-2021 at 11:56 PM

my favorite dolor (the one I pick for my T-shirt) is not my favorite color when it comes to a color that stands out on a satellite image.

I am color blind

Google's choice of color for a track is almost impossible for me to detect
red? Unless it is 10 ft in diameter - I don't see it
a red line? Almost invisible
brown line? Invisible
blue line? If I give a track a 6 point width, I see it as a black line

white line is my first choice
yellow works good
light green kinda works

if you would ask me what color a yellow line is - my answer would be "white"
if you would ask me what color a light green line is - my answer would be "I don't know"
my brain does not have that ability

I only "know" that the lines in my sat images are yellow, because my computer tells me that they are yellow

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2021 at 11:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
my favorite dolor (the one I pick for my T-shirt) is not my favorite color when it comes to a color that stands out on a satellite image.

I am color blind

Google's choice of color for a track is almost impossible for me to detect
red? Unless it is 10 ft in diameter - I don't see it
a red line? Almost invisible
brown line? Invisible
blue line? If I give a track a 6 point width, I see it as a black line

white line is my first choice
yellow works good
light green kinda works

if you would ask me what color a yellow line is - my answer would be "white"
if you would ask me what color a light green line is - my answer would be "I don't know"
my brain does not have that ability

I only "know" that the lines in my sat images are yellow, because my computer tells me that they are yellow

Hmmm. Almost every map I've posted on here is with red. I'll have to re-think that.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2021 at 12:49 AM

I wonder if it's possible to have your computer convert all reds to yellow on the display. Red does seem to be the preferred hilighting colour on most maps.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2021 at 12:59 AM

Came across this, has anyone tried it?
https://windowsloop.com/enable-colorblind-mode-in-windows-10...

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2021 at 08:53 AM

My problem is the when building a track off Google earth I get many colors for many tracks. I revise them to keep them all identifyable formy use. That was my first post on the crossing the divide thread was like that. It is not an issue to choose a different color. The survey says to choose blue, red, yellow, green in that order. The survey does not like white.
On my last post I near the corral and the colors were a mix of white faded. My choice of yellow and one segment came out green. What a pain.
And I thought posting a KML/KMX would help, but those tiny off color tracks are nearly invisible even for me. Zooming does help. It is all about my habit of many tracks all on one file.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2021 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
I wonder if it's possible to have your computer convert all reds to yellow on the display. Red does seem to be the preferred hilighting colour on most maps.

as soon as I download a track, I change the color of the track
usually I chose 3 point white

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 8.56.05 AM.png - 87kB

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2021 at 08:59 AM

Google Earth gives you any color imaginable

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 8.58.10 AM.png - 195kB

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2021 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
My problem is the when building a track off Google earth I get many colors for many tracks. I revise them to keep them all identifyable formy use. That was my first post on the crossing the divide thread was like that. It is not an issue to choose a different color. The survey says to choose blue, red, yellow, green in that order. The survey does not like white.
On my last post I near the corral and the colors were a mix of white faded. My choice of yellow and one segment came out green. What a pain.
And I thought posting a KML/KMX would help, but those tiny off color tracks are nearly invisible even for me. Zooming does help. It is all about my habit of many tracks all on one file.

I have been tracking things in Baja for 7 years - every day

tried many different options for track colors and location symbols

I use 5 pt black for paved roads
4 pt white for main (wide) dirt roads
3 pt yellow for regular dirt roads
2 pt yellow for tight dirt roads
3 pt green for major foot trails
2 pt green for animal trails

Image quality on BN is lousy - you'll only see a foggy version of what I see on my monitor

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 9.19.13 AM copy.jpg - 218kB

[Edited on 12-17-2021 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-17-2021 at 10:53 AM

Paul, it was me...
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I see a long trail line on the left and a very short one on the right, two colors but I can't tell you what colors they are of if there is a third color.

Green, magenta >??
Please have mercy on the color-blind, and use white, black, yellow, blue, or other 'bright' colors. Off-shades of red and green just blend together or blend into the background earth colors to us making it hard to see or tell apart.
Thank you!

but Harald and many other men are afflicted with this color handicap. Very few women have it.
It is passed through women to their male children from their fathers or grandfathers. Both of my grandfathers were color-blind, so no hope for me! My son sees colors just fine and one of his grandfather did, too. We don't know about the other, due to adoption status of his mother. Seems Harald's color-blindness is worse than mine?

Bright colors that don't blend into the background terrain work best: White, Yellow, Blue are superior for us.

Red is okay, as long as you don't use Green, since it may be hard for us to tell them apart. We can see the colors but with them on a map, we may not tell which is red and which is green, if it matters. So use one or the other, but not both on the same map. Browns and shades of green are difficult for us to distinguish apart.

Another weird one for us is Purple. Purple is Blue + Red, and when the red is hard to see, we mix up purple shades with dark blue shades.

Beige, tan, light green are all impossible for us to identify.
WE SEE COLORS, but we don't recognize what they are. This make ID'ing cars a bear... We would make terrible cops for that reason and because pilot's maps have red lines, we can't be commercial airline pilots. We probably don't make good painters, either! LOL

[Edited on 12-17-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2021 at 11:15 AM

My two sources of mapping are GE and INEGI. When studying a INEGI topo it would be hopeless if I could not see blue and brown. A black and white topo is pretty hard to deal with. For GE I just deal with lack of blue and lack of contour lines. However, makes a good pic if I use the good colors for my tracks.. Makes my color printer cartridge cost high especially when I highlight all the water drainages in red and highlight the ridge lines in black.
Not a big deal to make tracks white, yellow, and blue.
Thanks for the good info.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.