Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: New US regs to bring dogs back to states
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2024 at 05:36 PM
New US regs to bring dogs back to states

I haven't seen this discussed here. It's confusing to me and I worked in the government 35 years! Looks like mandatory chips for dogs and paperwork or they won't allow you to cross northbound beginning in August.

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-...
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-10-2024 at 05:52 PM

I'm going to have to read through that a few times, just to make sure I follow the right turns. As of 4/28 they were not interested in seeing any paperwork for my 90 pound co-pilot.

The only mention made about her was to keep her in the front seat while the agent went through my ice chest. She confiscated some opened lunch meat and wouldn't even let me give it to my dog!

I was crossing northbound at San Luis

[Edited on 5-11-2024 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2024 at 06:23 PM

I wonder how it's going to affect the rescues that bring the dogs across the border to be adopted.

[Edited on 6-2-2024 by tjsue]

[Edited on 6-2-2024 by tjsue]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2024 at 06:38 PM

I have crossed once or twice a year with my dog since 2012. Only once have I been asked for proof of vaccinations, and even then the agent did not even look at the paper I was holding.

If I was bringing a dog into the US, I would go ahead and get a Mexican veterinarian to do the vaccinations and sign some paperwork. Getting the vaccs is the right thing to do, and that would probably be accepted if they even ask.

Flying in with a dog is probably different.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2024 at 07:31 PM

FYI Mexico is a dog rabies-free country.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2024 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I'm going to have to read through that a few times, just to make sure I follow the right turns. As of 4/28 they were not interested in seeing any paperwork for my 90 pound co-pilot.

The only mention made about her was to keep her in the front seat while the agent went through my ice chest. She confiscated some opened lunch meat and wouldn't even let me give it to my dog!

That sort of move like preventing you from giving your dog the lunch meat so it could be "more appropriately" disposed of is such bullchit. I loose what little respect i have for law enforcement when witnessing such silly behavior.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2024 at 09:52 PM

I once was flying from Vancouver to Mexico, with a plane change in the US, so had to go through US customs at the Vancouver airport. I had an apple with me, which was part of what I was going to eat for breakfast while waiting for the plane to board. They told me I had to throw the apple in the garbage. I said I was planning on eating it in 5 minutes in the boarding area, not importing it to the US, and that I would eat it right then and there if necessary. She made me throw it in the garbage can. So ridiculous and a total waste of food, just to be an officious jerk.

[Edited on 5-11-2024 by surabi]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 06:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

That sort of move like preventing you from giving your dog the lunch meat so it could be "more appropriately" disposed of is such bullchit. I loose what little respect i have for law enforcement when witnessing such silly behavior.

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
I once was flying from Vancouver to Mexico, with a plane change in the US, so had to go through US customs at the Vancouver airport. I had an apple with me, which was part of what I was going to eat for breakfast while waiting for the plane to board. They told me I had to throw the apple in the garbage. I said I was planning on eating it in 5 minutes in the boarding area, not importing it to the US, and that I would eat it right then and there if necessary. She made me throw it in the garbage can. So ridiculous and a total waste of food, just to be an officious jerk.

You people are ridiculous prima donnas. The customs lines deal with an endless stream of people, the customs officers cant be adjusting rules for every prima donna that crosses each day.
No, you cant feed your illegal meat to your dog.
No, you cant keep your illegal fruit for a snack.
No, the line cant wait while you eat your apple and feed your dog.
Customs is one size fits all. Follow the rules, and don't ask for special rule bending because you are feeling special.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 09:59 AM

Back on topic, as Surabi pointed out, Mexico has made great progress in preventing animal to human rabies infections. If that is the case, why wouldn't a Mexican veterinary certificate of vaccination be acceptable?

For what it is worth, despite the progress Mexico has made by vaccinating dogs, there are other animals that can carry rabies, and sometimes without symptoms.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 5-11-2024 at 10:42 AM
"She wouldn't even let me feed it to my dog."

That line led to all these off-topic rants? Come on people, this thread is about dogs, not dogma! How about some edits to stay on topic?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 10:55 AM

That line led to all these off-topic rants? Come on people, this thread is about dogs, not dogma! How about some edits to stay on topic?

Know the rules. Be prepared. Plan ahead. And don't complain when you screw up and it is your fault.
I clean my car of verboten items before i cross the border.
I empty my water bottle before i go thru TSA at airport.
I guy gasoline before my vehicle’s tank runs dry.
If i am inconvenienced because i forget to do these things, i don't lash out at others, i blame myself.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 10:57 AM

I was crossing at Tecate some years back with my dogs. When the grumpy lady asked for the health certificates.....and then protested about them being in Spanish . She felt better after confiscating a single hard boiled egg from the cooler.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 11:38 AM

She felt better after confiscating a single hard boiled egg from the cooler.

I think it's good to have some innocuous but nevertheless "verboten" item with you, which you obviously haven't made any attempt to hide, when crossing borders as a sort of decoy to being majorly hassled. Once they find something like a hard boiled egg, an apple, or an open package of sandwich meat, they can confiscate it and feel they've done their job and let you know who's boss.

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
I haven't seen this discussed here. It's confusing to me and I worked in the government 35 years! Looks like mandatory chips for dogs and paperwork or they won't allow you to cross northbound beginning in August.

Back to topic:
Mexico is not on the list of "High Risk" countries.

If a country or political unit is not listed below, it is not considered high risk for importing dog rabies into the United States. Therefore, if the country is not listed, CDC strongly recommends vaccination against rabies, but the additional requirements for dogs from high-risk countries to enter the United States do not apply.

[Edited on 5-17-2024 by Maderita]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

Mexico is not on the list of "High Risk" countries. It appears that these new regulations, therefore, Do Not apply.

Thanks for pointing that out!

I am concerned not just with being legal, I want my dog to stay healthy as well, so I keep her current with vaccinations against strictly canine diseases.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
She felt better after confiscating a single hard boiled egg from the cooler.

I think it's good to have some innocuous but nevertheless "verboten" item with you, which you obviously haven't made any attempt to hide, when crossing borders as a sort of decoy to being majorly hassled. Once they find something like a hard boiled egg, an apple, or an open package of sandwich meat, they can confiscate it and feel they've done their job and let you know who's boss.

Why would I flock around with decoys to distract agent from contraband? They will yank my sentri. I am willing to throw away food now and then to continue my sentri privilege… and i dont bring in alcohol or goods above the allowable limits (‘cause i like my sentri), so i dont see need for decoys.

Woke!

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
but now your dog needs to prove it’s healthy to get across. The USA has lost its mind

Sounds as if you aren't aware that if bitten by a dog that is carrying rabies, immediate treatment is necessary to prevent the spread of infection or the disease is fatal. Not only fatal, but the symptoms experienced before dying are horrible.

It isn't about dogs being healthy, it's about preventing rabies infections and death if bitten.
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  

Back to topic:
Mexico is not on the list of "High Risk" countries. It appears that these new regulations, therefore, Do Not apply.

If a country or political unit is not listed below, it is not considered high risk for importing dog rabies into the United States. Therefore, if the country is not listed, CDC strongly recommends vaccination against rabies, but the additional requirements for dogs from high-risk countries to enter the United States do not apply.

¨Therefore, if the country is not listed, CDC strongly recommends vaccination against rabies, but the additional requirements for dogs from high-risk countries to enter the United States do not apply.¨

CDC strongly recommends vaccination against rabies

While Mexico was certified by the WHO as being a country without dog to human transmission of rabies, it should be understood that this type of situation is susceptible to change. It evolves over tme. And, dog rabies cases are still found in Mexico. They just haven´t had a confirmed dog to human transmission in many years.

As an example, look at the situation experienced in Bali in the not too distant past. There never had been a confirmed case of dog rabies there, and never a case of dog to human rabies transmission. It was a well known fact that you could not get rabies from a dog bite in Bali, so post exposure rabies treatment was not given to people that were biten by dogs. Then the day came when a person did get rabies from a dog bite on Bali. Before the change in the situation could be fully understood and new information disseminated, 100 people had died on Bali of rabies contracted via dog bites.

In Mexico, cattle are the main reservoir for rabies (and thousands of them are found to be rabid every year in Mexico), while the vampire bat is the main vector for the spread of the virus to other species. Historically, the vampire bat has not inhabited northern Mexico, but this is thought to be changing now, with vampire bats being found recently as far north as southern Texas.

It really is a good idea to keep your dogs up to date on rabies vaccination.

[Edited on 5-11-2024 by cupcake]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Why would I flock around with decoys to distract agent from contraband?

I didn't say anything about "distracting from contraband". Trying to smuggle contraband across borders is quite foolish.

By "decoy" I meant that if they find some innocuous thing like a piece of fruit and confiscate it, they usually
seem satisfied and then just wave you on through without any further hassles.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 01:07 PM
Other rabies vectors

I have not run into any racoons in Baja, but my dog and I have had interactions with skunks, foxes and coyotes. Any one of them has the potential to pass the disease to my dog, or me if for some reason I can't stay away from them!

A bite is the usual way they pass rabies, but animals grooming each other, or even just playing hard could do it. Open wounds, eyes and mucus membranes are potential entry points.

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.