Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Camper Shell advice...
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 12:16 PM
Camper Shell advice...

Considering a new camper shell...looking for advice. I currently have the ARE MX (with massive single door hatch & small door inside) which I love for some purposes (especially the roof capacity, stability & headroom) but which has proven to let tons of dust in (door won't secure tightly enough) and lacks real storage options. I am pondering a swich to a more "contractor" style shell and debating between the Leer Journeyman & Gemtop Outfitter, both of which look solid and are brimming with storage and security options. Anyone have either? Preference? Experience? How does the steel body perform offroad compared to fiberglass? Is it "noisy" or shaky? Roof capacities? Any help would be great.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 12:44 PM
Have you thought about a Callen?

I've had Callen campers on my last two 4x4s and they do hold up under off road conditions. The double back door set up gives you excellent access to the pickup bed as well. They make lots of sizes and configurations - probably have one that would work for you.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 03:09 PM

We have a fiber glass shell. It has shaken itself to death. We now have a tie down strap on it to keep it on the truck. It didnt cost but about a grand and it nothing fancy but the fiber glass came apart from the molding. The huge clamps that they put on it are still right where they put them; only the shell has moved...a lot.
Mi dos centavos.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 03:31 PM

A Callen Camper (El Cajon, CA) is Baja Proven! Even over some of the toughest Baja 1000 course, not a failure while I had it on my Tacoma! Here it is a Agua Verde, south of Loreto:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 03:47 PM
Callen Camper------

---------my 43" tall custom built Callen "shell" is now 24 years old, been all over the boonies of Baja, and I have had NO problems with it. It is on it's second truck. It has a huge rear door that opens upwards, and I have maintained the factory tailgate. I have a "open boot" between the camper and the cab, and when I get in the dirt I simply turn the heater fan on high with the windows shut and the positive pressure within the cab and camper keeps ALL the dust out of both. If you get hot just turn on the AC too. You have to have your AC/heater set to suck in outside air (not "inside air") to form the positive pressure within the vehicle/camper.

Callen's are heavy, tho, because of their steel frame, so I had to beef up my bed and the bed side walls to keep the Callen from crushing them on really torky roads in the outback (the camper weighs almost 1000lbs). I only had to do that on my newer '94 Ford truck-----my old ' 69 Ford was so tough it did not need beefing up.

Callen's are great!!!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 04:53 PM

I had no problems with my Caravan Top, which is still for sale BTW although perhaps not suitable for a "new" truck.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=16539

It is all steel, all welded, nothing to vibrate loose, and survived the whoops of the B1k course between Laguna San Ignacio and Scorpion Bay. (I wasn't racing. I got lost). It has some of the characteristics of a contractor shell- good security, but plenty of window. It is one HEAVY mofo tho, hard on 4 guys to lift, impossible for 2 unless they're pro weightlifters.

I will never again waste even $50 on an old wood and aluminum top like the one that disintegrated on the Gonzaga road. Those things are meant for asphalt only.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 06:36 PM

bigzaggin....REGARDING CALLEN CAMPERS....

I have a Custom built Callen Camper on my Ford F250 P/U which is 5+ years old. It has performed very well under some rough Baja off-road conditions. They are built VERY well with a 1" welded steel frame.

The good part about Callen is they will CUSTOM build it ANY WAY you want. You decide on what type of doors you want, what type of windows, what type of interior configuration, how tall, how wide, exterior, etc., etc. As far as I know, there are NO limitations on what your design can be. I know they build Motorhomes, Fifth Wheel Trailers, Toy Haulers and more. I've even seen Mobile Command Centers, etc. which they've built for Police Dept's.

There most popular model is a model which is about 12’ to 15’ higher than a pick-up cab and has about an 18” cab-over storage section. When I had mine built, I knew that I would be staying in it for a week or more sometimes, and I didn’t want to be stooping over all the time. So, I had mine built with an interior height of 74.” And because I didn’t want a BIG AIR DAM hanging over the edge of the pick-up bed, I had it built only 78” wide. Mine has a very basic interior with only a cab-over 48” deep bed and two 24”X82” benches with cushions.

If there was ONE THING which I wish I’d had them install, it would be a 3-way REFRIGERATOR which runs on Propane, Battery, or 120V.

Here’s a picture of mine…

U2U if you have any questions. Michael
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 07:39 PM
THANK YOU...

I had never even really considered a Callen or a Caravan Top...both of which look amazing (my friend just referred to the Callen as the "Radon of camper shells" [a boater's reference]). A few questions: Do you have to go to Reno to get a Caravan? And if I order a Callen, how long am I gonna be waiting for? And are they SUPER expensive? Will a late model Tundra handle their weight w/o reinforcing the bed walls?

Thank you again for the help. Oh yeah, who wants to buy an A.R.E. MX shell in black? :lol:
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 10:58 PM

bigzaggin....

You're right about the Radon reference. They are preferred by MANY Baja travelers, because they DO stand up to the punishment. I'm not sure about the wait time or the price today. Mine was $3400.00 with the Roof rack which was extra.

They do have a WEB site and you can call them and get some information. Their site has pictures of many things they've built, even a camper on a Hummer. Scott Callen is running the company these days and will probably be the one helping you if you call. They're located in El Cajon, one block off the I-8 at the West Main Street exit.

http://www.callencamper.com

125 S. Marshall Ave. El Cajon, CA 92020 (619)442-3305

Michael :saint:

[Edited on 9-30-2006 by AmoPescar]
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 12:07 PM

Prices appear similar. New Caravans run about $3k. The price on my old one just dropped to $500.
Don't know about shipping or other locations.
Here's their website:
http://www.caravancamper.com/Caravan.swf

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 02:49 PM
Also dropped to $500

USED 4 wheel pop top....Oso?? you want it yet?? It needs to go somewhere, bad..

[Edited on 9-30-2006 by Tomas Tierra]

DSCN1089.JPG - 33kB
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 02:56 PM

Trade? :lol:

Actually, let me think about it. Problem is I'm not sure when I can get up that way.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 03:00 PM

starting home remodel in a coupla weeks..needs to go soon!
bajabuddy

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 06:40 PM

thomas That is a god price for a pop-up. I've got a snapper pop-up that hasn't been tried in baja yet. Have you had any trouble with yours?

TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 10:04 AM
Callen with a "sub-frame?"

I had my old Callen on my 1990 Chevy for 10+years and no problems with the bed. Since several friends have had trouble with the beds on newer trucks I planned for this issue on my new truck. For my new truck (2002 Chevy), we built a subframe for the camper which puts all of the weight on the bed flooor vice the bed walls and then had Callen build the camper on this sub-frame. If your off roading is limited, I wouldn't worry too much about the bed, but if you plan on thousands of miles of off roading, especially rough roads, you might want to ask Callen about a sub-frame to help transfer the load to the bed floor.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 10:36 AM
TacateRay--------

----------boy do I second that!!!!! These newer trucks just do not have the structural integrity to support the bigger Callen Campers on rough terraign-------after my 8' bed on my 1994 Ford F-F250 began to crush down almost 3 inches, I had to have the camper and the entire bed removed and the bed-box completely pounded out, beefed up with 1/4" steel plates and steel beams and then put back together-----cost a very reasonable $500, but a huge pain in the rear to have done.

Your idea of a sub-frame being installed BEFORE the Callen is brilliant----wish I had thought of that. Still, so far my "beefed up bed-box" is holding up nicely.

AS previously pointed out, my old '69 F-100 Ford stood up the the Callen for some 18 years with no problems at all-------"the just don't build them like they used to" !!!!
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 04:57 PM

Bajabuddy,

No prblems at all with my 4 wheel pop up in Baja, leaks a little, but thats it..If your snapper has a wooden frame and your going offroad, expect to have some problems.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:58 PM

Regarding the subframe...

TecateRay,

I like the idea of a subframe or some other type of extra reinforcement for mounting the Callen. Callen only mounts the Campers using 4 - 3/8" diameter bolts and fender washers. I went to a company which sold steel and bought 4 S.S. plates about 3/16" thick x 5" x 8" which I had drilled, and then I put them under the bed in place of the washers Callen used. I've never had any problem yet, that I know of. After several trips down, I get underneath and make sure they are tightened up.

Amo / Michael
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 02:45 PM
Better mounting for Callen

Michael,
I agree with your approach on the mounting plates and I'm sure that will help save the top bed rails from damage as the camper tends to shift with those light weight bolts that Callen uses.

The major damage that most folks are now finding is that the bed itself starts to crack from the weight and pounding the camper creates on dirt roads. By shifting the load bearing from the bed rails to the bed floor you can prevent (or at least minimize) that from happening.;D
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 03:40 PM
TacateRay------

everything you say is good advice, but be aware that the heavier Callen Campers will also breakdown the stock bed boxes where they attach to the frame----in other words underneath the bed. The main cross-member at the front of my bed (under the floor) which is only a "pressed" metal channel iron welded to the floor, will bend and/or shear off at the outboard ends, just outboard of the main truck frame members. We had to install a piece of square tubular steel (3 " x 1-1/2") and weld it right behind the factory cross-member. This added "piece" goes beyond the ends of the stock cross-member on both sides, and is about 6 feet long. It appears to do the job, at least so far.

In addition, we sandwiched the bed boxes verticle cab-end sheet metal between two pieces of 1/4 inch Aluminum plate with many rivets-----resulting in the entire bulkhead being just thicker than 1/2 inch. This we had to do as the stock sheet metal had just warped and tore away at the welded parts------there apparently is a LOT of stress on these points when traveling on dirt roads------I found that the whoop-de-doos left by the racers did more damage than anything else, putting way too much stress on everything even at slow speeds.

If I ever started over again, I would add all these beefed up members before ever installing the camper-----much easier to do then, and much cheaper.

(My truck is a 1994 Ford F-250 ext. cab with the long bed, 4 x 4)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.