Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Online outlaw country station for those without XM
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 12:46 PM
Online outlaw country station for those without XM

I thought I'd share this with with all of you although I don't know how many prefer this type of country/rock to today's hot new country as found on the radio or like country at all.

KFAT was a low key country/rock station that aired in Gilroy CA from 1975 to 1983. This online station plays actual archived KFAT broadcasts from that time but without the commercials. It is easy to set up on the computer - even I can do it. It's funny, but although it is an online broadcast of a dead station, and all of the music is old, it actually feels more alive than some of those weird Americana stations on my I-tunes choice of stations.
http://www.kfat.com/

It would be a real luxury if I had a satellite connection or somebody had a wi-fi setup going at one of the camps at Concepcion. But if I lived in Baja, I'd have to have it.

And of course there is KFAT's modern counterpart that plays folk, country, rock, blues, psychedelic, and other stuff. http://www.kpig.com/
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 01:36 PM

Used to listen to KFAT Gilroy back in those days. Might try it out again. Thanks

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 01:47 PM

Good to know...thanks Pack--sounds like the Alt. Country genre that includes a lot of country styles( Johnny Cash, Uncle Tupelo, Dave Alvin for example) but keeps out most pop country stuff.
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 10:37 AM

KPIG has been broadcasting over the air from Watsonville, CA for many years now. They more recently expanded to San Luis Obispo and the San Francisco Bay Area (on AM).

It was one of the original internet radio stations as well.

As the owner of an independent record company that produces this kind of music, I can emphatically say that they have been a valuable outlet for many of our artists over the years including Tom Russell (who was once a KFAT dj), Dave Alvin, the Blasters, PF Sloan, Bill Kirchen, Buddy and Julie Miller, and many more.

It is a pleasure to listen to a station that plays more than the same 25 tracks over and over again.

Check out XM 12 as well if you are a fan of American roots music.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 01:54 PM

we LOVED KFAT when we lived in san jose 1980!!what a collection they had!!

i am going to get their website dialed into my digital archiver and let it roll so i will have hours of KFAT to bring south and play constantly at my palapa.
Cow Patty!!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

cool.gif posted on 2-27-2007 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
we LOVED KFAT when we lived in san jose 1980!!what a collection they had!!

i am going to get their website dialed into my digital archiver and let it roll so i will have hours of KFAT to bring south and play constantly at my palapa.
Cow Patty!!!

Surely you tune in 63 "Outlaw Country" on your Sirius Mike? Gotta love Fred Imus as a DJ also! Not to mention Mojo Nixon. There is more to Sirius than Howard you know!;););)

Are you gonna be in Mulege over the 10th of March? We will buy the Pacifico's at the Serinidad.:spingrin::spingrin:

Ken and Paula
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 02:55 AM

yes Ken! i am going to be there 9-11 Mar for sams clinic, arr fri but leave sun. Sat we'll be in lopez for the day. bombed on my patio sat noche tho.....

i don't have sirius or XM, just XM weather nexrad in my plane for real time text and graphical weather reports enroute.
lets hook up. how long will you be there? fishing jurels or?...

i have listened to mojo - a hoot. and of course i am an imus fan.

don't do pay radio yet as too much free internet radio on line, and i can copy it all to mp3 for mobility.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 09:28 AM
iTunes

iTunes has many free radio streams available and have lot of genres to choose from including Country. No commercials and pretty good music. iTunes can be downloaded for free. Here is a screenshot showing the player with the Radio feature running. The music categories are on the right hand panel. Clicking one of the triangles drops down a menu of all the stations available in that category. You can even drag a selection over to your playlist, which you can see in the left hand panel. Easier to get to that way.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. -- Gandhi

http://www.bahiadelosangeles.info
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

cool.gif posted on 3-1-2007 at 02:51 PM
March 11th

Mike,

Check your U2U.

Ken
M_Man
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 03:53 PM

KFAT...Getting our fat together to put in your donut hole!
Rusty

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 04:42 PM

Thanks for the info.

I came close to subscribing to XM (or Sirius) then I was turned onto www.bluegrasscountry.org

It's primarily bluegrass, but features several 'shows' with various themes such as 'traditional bluegrass' or 'traditional country and honky tonk music from the 1940's, 50's, and 60's'

Good stuff! Sure beats 99% of the stuff on the commercial radio in my area.
Rusty
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 06:00 PM

Satellite radio is SOOO much more than downloading formatted music.

Try downloading a live event sometime, while on the go.

BTW, some sat radio units will allow you to preset a time and channel to record and then store the programming in the unit itself.

[Edited on 3-2-2007 by Hook]

larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 09:42 PM

Hook

I agree that satellite radio (well XM for me) is really a great thing. The XM programmers have almost total freedom to program what they want. For the listener, this means always discovering great things through the filter of someone whose taste in music you quickly come to understand.

If you are a serious baseball fan, XM broadcasts every major league game (although with a 10 second lag so dont try watching the game on tv at the same time).

Sirius and XM have agreed to merge---I hope that XM doesnt become playlist oriented like Sirius

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.