BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Baja surfers are special because?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 05:58 PM

YES, I gave her my card, and she emailed me a couple days later after looking at vivabaja.com for the first time.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Axel
Example,

Punta Cabras, Now dirty filthy sh** hole. 15-20 years ago it was a beautiful spot. I wont take my daughter there anymore because she can't play in the sand dunes because of trash and human waste. Now radio stations are bus loading people there. Nothing like a little advertisement.

I gotta respond here. Why do you think its a sh** hole after 20 years Axel? It's because of the idiot surfers. I ran the sisters from south to north in 1976. Do the math everyone. It was beautiful. We had a break down and walked for a day and a half to find help. Most of the good spots now days, any blind man can find with his nose because of all the trash and crap left behind by surfers.
I just enjoyed cruising the coast south of Punta Baja for the first time just for a look. I've always heard the surf is sketchy there so I've never ventured out. The coast was beautiful and there may be a couple spots to check on the right swell. The main thing we noticed was all the coastal camp spots were clean and neat. No sh** or sh** paper blowing around, no trash, no burnt beer cans or bottles in the fire rings etc. Guess what, that area of coast is mostly traveled by wind surfers because of the hell blows out there. Cut from a different piece of cloth they must be, ala Yoda, he he.
I'm so glad I've gotten to an age, 50, where I can enjoy all the other beautiful things Baja has to offer. I still love the score of surf, but that single pursuit is so narrow minded. I just think back on all the many days all totaled, I have sat on a Baja beach waiting for a phantom swell to track in and had to leave empty handed. I could have been seeing somthing else.
You all know, every one of you premadonas out there, that you heard about a place from someone. You got what directions you could out of the person, bought the best map you could, bragged about where you were going to go to everyone who would listen and then claimed it as your discovery when you got back. I have heard this from every single surfer I know until the last 10 years or so. Then localism hit Baja. It wasn't bad enough that we had to fist fight for our home break. We... the surfers, are who is to blaim for the above post I'm quoting, and we are to blaim for every crowded spot, now and in the future.
DK is just the easiest target out there to blame for everyones own frustrations. You know, I've just spent a few days with him, and I learned 2 things, he's a Baja lover like me, and he's happy when he's IN Baja way more than talking to some of you. Me thinks there's some jealousy on this board???

[Edited on 8-1-2007 by Gadget]

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 06:55 PM

Lordy, and I haven't said a word - maybe it's not just me, huh KOB?

By the way, it's not about surfers, but about people who resent your turn-by-turn, gps-coordinating pin-the-tail-on the donkey reports. Surfers may be part of that group, but it ain't limited to them.

classic line:

this is an area that is so unappealing, cold, with ugly fishcamps. Thank god - imagine if the KOB had liked it. :lol::lol:
baja sur
Banned

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget

I'm so glad I've gotten to an age, 50, where I can enjoy all the other beautiful things Baja has to offer. I still love the score of surf, but that single pursuit is so narrow minded. I just think back on all the many days all totaled, I have sat on a Baja beach waiting for a phantom swell to track in and had to leave empty handed. I could have been seeing somthing else.

POSER.......................
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 07:30 PM

POSER.......................

BS, What no attack on my faith first? You must not be on your game today???

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 01:52 AM

Jesus Christ, er I mean David Kiel. I just gotta meetcha cause then I could prop you up(like others) every time you posted about getting to "special" areas. Of course they are not special to you unless you would not want someone to watch you and "Angel" burn yer delicate skin. Or not.
My advise. Stay way north. You bug people who have gone to their own special placs for years. Why should YOU introduce the world to these spots. Please butt out. It's bad enough how zealots(like you)pretend to know a place by traveling thru and highlighting it on some map for someone else to exploit.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 03:47 AM

It's probably not needed but I'll put in my 2 centavos with.
I've been to alot of those remote locations the DK mentions and long before I ever knew about this message board.
Anybody with a AAA Baja map can find any of those locations. All it takes is a little curiosity and adventurous spirit.
So if you want to blame someone go after AAA.
Surfing is kind of a dumb sport. I did it for a while and decided it was a waste of time. Not as much fun as I thought it would be.
Surfers with their"My beach, my wave, F*ck off" attitude are a bunch of a-holes.
DK is very cool and would help anyone who asked. Maybe even surfers.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 06:39 AM

does the AA have a 12 step program for surfers who desperately want to quit??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
ME
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 06:55 AM

DK is not cool, he edits and delets these threads at will, without freedom of speech this web site is BS.... you want to know why surfers are better, most are well versed in international travel and not to the big resort but to the nooks and crannys of the globe where we wait for waves meet the people and embrace the culture. most of these spots are enviromently sensitive and do not need a crowd.
Dk you should camp at one these spots for a while not just dirve thru, you seem to be a glorified weekend warrior who is just trying to make a buck off his web site
"call some place paradise and you can kiss it goodbye"
spread the word DK
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 07:12 AM

Folk DK is not telling others about your secret spors You guy don't own baja so what makes you think its Your secret spot Its called progress and its gonna happen like it or not. The Mexicans in baja have a unique thing that is acessable and they are gonna sell it so lighten up Jim
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 07:49 AM

Well at least 30 foot diesel pushers can't get to the area in question. That area will remain remote for some time. And there's really no reason to go there except to surf. It's cold barren and rugged.

It is my experience that "secret spots" are a big part of the surf culture and the concept is accepted and abided by, or at least it was.

"Baja surfers are special because?" They used to be special because there were few of them and they spent a lot of time looking for and finding previously unknown breaks. Those days are gone. Baja is now a casual tourist destination.

They are special now because they are surfers. A group of people far superior in all ways to any other group of people. It's a fact, plain and simple.

There are no longer secret pristine beaches with great point breaks except for the ones I know about and the ones other surfers know about. And we ain't telling anybody, not even each other.

I hope you all have fun watching the odometer, keeping logs, and taking photos.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ME
DK is not cool, he edits and delets these threads at will, without freedom of speech this web site is BS.... you want to know why surfers are better, most are well versed in international travel and not to the big resort but to the nooks and crannys of the globe where we wait for waves meet the people and embrace the culture. most of these spots are enviromently sensitive and do not need a crowd.
Dk you should camp at one these spots for a while not just dirve thru, you seem to be a glorified weekend warrior who is just trying to make a buck off his web site
"call some place paradise and you can kiss it goodbye"
spread the word DK

This is not true, for the record. I can only edit or delete my own posts. I do not have a commercial web site, it makes no money. In fact I have given away hundreds of stickers for free off my site... The road log was just that, a log of a road which only required a 'drive-through'. I did not talk about any surf spots or describe surf conditions. What are you affraid of?

You really should not 'drive through' my posts or web site and then tell others what you think it's about!:lol::light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 10:32 AM

Looks like JZ has been banned and all his posts deleted. Hummmm? I wonder why. This site is nothing without diversity. Not everyone appreciates tooting ones horn about how great someones weekend was. Honestly, It gets old. After so many of these tiffs, and losing so many interesting people because of them, it would be easy to realize how to avoid them. Trip reports are great, but some posters reports seem to be mostly about themselves, and not about what they actually did.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 10:59 AM

LOL! i can't understand what all the fuzz is all about, i personally like DK a lot, but i don't read his Trip reports because i am simply not interested (no offense intended David). As far as i am concerned, the only people that do have secret spots in Baja, are the locals, all us (and i include myself) are just intruders that are contributing in different degrees to the development and trasformation of Baja.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 11:04 AM

That's odd because I remember a (angry) Nomad who requested all his posts be deleted. They weren't but he was. Come to think of it, I think it was the same subject matter that did him in.:lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 11:09 AM

this site works just like tv...click click... move on... I enjoy reading of others explorations/trials/exploits/impressions/etc.. I can't always get to every spot I would like to visit... I enjoy knowing that someone did and was good enough to share... it just helps add to the list of things I NEED to do... DK if you were to stop or otherwise reduce your contributions to this board the value would be significantly diminished... the next time I meet you the drinks are on me...
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 11:16 AM

I can't take it anymore. This is like watching my two sons bicker over a video game. Someone should just take Baja away from all of you until you stop arguing about it and shut the hell up.

And here's my disclosure of a secret surf spot or two. There's a really crappy beach break at La Bocana de Santo Tomas. It's almost always blown out and the break shifts constantly when it's not a total wall, it's freezing cold, and it's at the mouth of a 16 mile-long river fed by farms, cattle ranches, human sewage and God knows what else. Oh, and there's plenty of shark bait, er, I mean, seals. Or you can try the point south of the rivermouth, which has a decent right but stronger winds, a fierce longitudinal current, and breaks on a jagged reef, even at high tide. I'll see you in the (nonexistent) lineup. Or not.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 11:31 AM

AMEN DANO!

Send them to the corner until they can behave!

Mean people suck!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 11:34 AM

No offense to anybody in particular, but this whole discussion is sorta silly.:biggrin::spingrin::tumble:
cirioserious

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 12:12 PM

The only K i rely on for my baja direction, is out of the cereal box, that has real "special" substance. t
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.