Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Boy, do I miss JR
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 07:33 PM

Brava, Debra

A thoughtful outline of a difficult and worthwhile man.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Markitos21
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2007 at 05:16 PM

Holley smokes a guy takes a few years off and all those folks are gone?
I was lucky enough to meet a few, Jr included. Each and everyone of them seemed to be living the life they wanted to. They are all my heros !!!
Life is short my friends, lets not forget to live it. M
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-3-2007 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Markitos21
Holley smokes a guy takes a few years off and all those folks are gone?
I was lucky enough to meet a few, Jr included. Each and everyone of them seemed to be living the life they wanted to. They are all my heros !!!
Life is short my friends, lets not forget to live it. M

I hope you have been doing just that, Amigo. You certainly have not missed much here.:lol:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2007 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
JRs portrayals of most subjects... were usually short bursts of moderate to poor legibility and disjointed thinking. He was the Ralph Kramden of literary discourse.

Those who knew him personally seemed to like him a lot and have said he was far different in person than his online personna. Perhaps so.

MrBill - I agree that this is probably your most accruate posting ever. As much as JR would disagree with you and come up with all kinds of commentary to PO someone (he absolutely loved to stir the pot on the board), he would always agree to shake your hand, bring you into his home and offer you a beer. And, that's exactly what happend to me, and I have the image to prove it. He was truely a gentleman in person and very informative on Baja projects he was working on! I have great memories of meeting him.
My best to you Carol!
Bob H

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-3-2007 at 09:11 PM

Thanks Bob H. You just made my wife and I cry. Man, what a great Human. RIP JR!

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2007 at 11:22 PM
He didn't fool me any(or did he)

I'm sure that is true Bob. I saw a different person quite possible than others may have seen. His deep passion for Bajas' inhabitants was refected by their own love for JR. Let us not forget what a generous a man he could be. I guess he found it hard and confusing to deal with an American presence that contradicted what he thought would be good for baja and that that part should should stay north or in some gringo enclave. I guess I sort of overunderstood. The man may have influenced many more folks than he was given credit for, in a good way.

I hope that that love lives on through this forum.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2015 at 06:15 PM

Ahhh The good old days.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 01:23 PM

The doors to the chicken coop have been left wide open in his absence!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 01:33 PM

Nice bump from 2007 Ralph! The chickens are on the loose! LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 05:05 PM

Not intending to hijack .. but JR made me think of Chopy - and coincidentally today I was going thru a box from 2002 and found an email from him regarding a community outreach event from the Emerson Center he was inviting/asking for our participation in .. naturally we did .. in the same file folder was a copy of the death announcement June 12, 2003 that the executive director sent us ..

My how quickly time marches on ...

Peace to all nomad amigos and amigas and may all who have passed be resting in peace ..

[Edited on 2-10-2015 by CaboMagic]

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 05:46 PM

As the years have passed I can tolerate the Sunshine boy a little more.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 05:56 PM

This is a great "bump".... brings back the time I met JR and shook his hand!! He was so very kind to Audrey and I.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
Not intending to hijack .. but JR made me think of Chopy - and coincidentally today I was going thru a box from 2002 and found an email from him regarding a community outreach event from the Emerson Center he was inviting/asking for our participation in .. naturally we did .. in the same file folder was a copy of the death announcement June 12, 2003 that the executive director sent us ..

My how quickly time marches on ...

Peace to all nomad amigos and amigas and may all who have passed be resting in peace ..

[Edited on 2-10-2015 by CaboMagic]

Chopy (el surfo loco) was a real unique guy... and like JR, he was often an agitator on the computer (Amigos de Baja back then). But in person, super nice!

See three photos of Chopy and us Amigos in Sept., 2002 at Cielito Lindo (for M's BBBB-4 party): http://www.vivabaja.com/bbbb4/page8.html

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 07:29 PM
Back to JR

Hijacks are a pain,
and this one should have had its own thread...(the hijack)

JR and I sparred over the years,
then we found a common interest, a kids home in Maneadero.
At his suggestion I stopped by and gave them some help, then promoted others to do so as well.
His spontaneous expressions of appreciation were really gracious and appreciated.
We had a date and time to meet on my next trip down, alas he left us just prior to that time.
And, to see Bernie's posts on here (NO THIS IS NOT A HIJACK) brings a bit of a tear to my eye as well.
Bernie was the real deal, he and Jamie spent a memorable weekend up here with us after we finished his final book.
Great memories.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 07:40 PM

I miss Bernie. I also miss the fun we all had here a few years back but Nomad has always been a morph in progress, just like all of us.
I don't want to lament the present, but to look forward to the next chapter.
You're right, Dick. This isn't a hijack. It's a recollection of a great time with great people, as well as a preview of coming attractions.

Thanks, Doug and the whole Nomad family, past, present and future.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 08:19 PM

Dennis thank you for your eloquence ..

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 08:52 PM

Funny how the chicken coop comes together so quickly on this post:biggrin:

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
Dennis thank you for your eloquence ..

Ditto!!!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 10:06 PM
JR, Dennis and Bernie

Interesting how Bernie was a link to both of these guys
After I made my peace with JR I still wondered about all the cranky posts from that irascible old guy out at Banda called Dennis.
So, when Bernie and Jamie spent a long weekend up here with us I asked him about Dennis.
Classic Bernie answer, "AH, Dennis is o.k. He may come across pretty sideways at times, but down deep he is an all right guy."
Taking those words to heart I started some dialog with Dennis and sure enough, he is, down deep (OK, way down deep) a really good guy.
Guess it all started with JR, but Bernie was a great peace maker.
Miss both of those guys a lot.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 10:42 PM

Bernie was a sweet man, funny and full of character. He came to Dana Point to meet me and we had a lunch and great conversation. This was before Jamie and I got the feeling he was searching for his next love. He gave me his books and wrote personal notes to me in them. I will cherish them. And there was the JR sighting in Loreto, many years ago that I will never forget! He was at a Pemex, surrounded by many people, mexican and a few gringos. I was with Juanita, saw him and said stop! I know that guy!She told me that it looked like trouble, we can't go there. We got our groceries, on the way back we saw JR. they were all laughing and back patting, amigos! I Regret not making her stop to meet the man. He was/ is a legend . RIP JR., Bernie, Juanita. All Baja legends and never forgotten. And about this DENNIS guy, never met him, :cool:

[Edited on 2-10-2015 by Sallysouth]

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.