Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Sad but True Re: The Amigos Board
Wild Bill

exclamation.gif posted on 8-26-2003 at 03:12 PM
Sad but True Re: The Amigos Board

Curiosty finally got the best of me and I contacted Earle R. from the Amigo's board to find out what's up. The following is his reply.

Bill,

Good to hear from you! The BajaNet & the Amigos have both died a quite death on Aug. 21, 2003, ending an 8 year series of weekly reports & information for Baja travelers. I was going to try and get something up on Metcalf's site this week, but I'm sure this will serve that purpose if you would be kind enough to pass the word on to all the Amigos.

There was no one thing that lead to their untimly demise. The commitment to getting them out every week was a major factor, as was the havoc that played on our personal plans & commitments. It was also never able to generate enough funds to pay for upkeep although that was a very minor problem.

There is also the fact that there seems to a lessening interest in tourism in the Baja area. We have witnessed a continuing decline in the number of new folks coming onto the site and looking for travel information. For whatever reason, that decline in interest seems to be escalating & making our services redundent. There was just no valid reason to keep abusing ourselves while evidently "preaching to the choir" as it were.

Anyway, it's a done deal and I'm sure there will be others taking up the slack and providing a fourm for all of us who still appreciate what the area has to offer. It was fun while it lasted, but I have not seen Eric this relaxed in a long while!

Hope our paths cross again somewhere down south.

Hasta la vista,

Earle

It is sad to see it go. I can only imagine what all of them have been through to keep it alive for all of these years. Thanks goes to Earle, Trish and Eric for doing such a great job and for putting up with so much B.S. or non B.S. (Baja Stories) as the case may be.

Wild Bill

Get Outside, Have Fun and Be Safe!

WB

Get Outside, Have Fun & Be Safe!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-26-2003 at 03:47 PM

this will be a good substitute and with picture capability, it is a step above as far as BB's are concerned, but they had it pegged as far as the info available there. i wish i would have printed all their pages for reference!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 8-26-2003 at 04:41 PM

I wonder if there is some way to get those archives, lots of valuabale info there. In the end everyones posts got deleted......well I suppose that's
about as fair as you can get. To all those coming over here, welcome and please remember to be civil and decent in your debates and opinions. This board has been a great refuge for us Amigo outcasts and the spirit of tolerance that exists here while streched at times is something to marvel at.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2003 at 05:36 PM

All good things must pass, eh? I'll try to mind my manners, or as is my usual preference, keep my mouth shut when I don't have anything to say. Hey bus or anyone else, how do you load an avatar into your registration?
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2003 at 05:50 PM

Dano, You first have to have the avatar located on a server somewhere, like the personal webpage that you may have with your ISP or one of the many picture hosting services and then from your control panel (click on the link at the top right of this page), go to personal profile > avatar URL For instance in the avatar link box I have "http://bajabus.mystarband.net/images/bajadudes%20logo.jpg" in other words you have to link to it by putting the URL of the jpeg you want to use.
I also think the issue is addressed in the FAQ. By the way, to you savy folks don't waste your time going to my website it's just a jumble of jpegs as messy as my storage unit.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
A?jeo Coca

rolleyes.gif posted on 8-26-2003 at 07:18 PM

This is reall too bad..a (searchable) archive would really be a treasure.

Kudos to Earle for all of his hard work over the years. I'm not sure there will ever be a true replacement.

Glad I have an Amigos T-shirt!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-26-2003 at 07:25 PM

Be patient... Amigos may not be all gone, just yet... However, thanks to Doug Means, we have a great place to share stories, still...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2003 at 07:35 PM

boy if there were some way to get those archives up somewhere......8 years of incredible stuff there......the good the bad & the ugly all of it is worth preserving somehow.

Wild Bill

[*] posted on 8-26-2003 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Be patient... Amigos may not be all gone, just yet... However, thanks to Doug Means, we have a great place to share stories, still...

David,

You really do live in the dark, don't you. If, for one minute, you think that I posted this information as a joke, then that simply shows how inept you really are.

Be thankful for the time they had it up and running!

WB

Get Outside, Have Fun & Be Safe!

[Edited on 8-27-2003 by Wild Bill]
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2003 at 09:43 PM

I've accessed the "Old Board" post while doing searches for old post of David K & Chopy (RIP) using Goggle. But all the post of the New Board were deleted from June back couldn't find a thing until I came to the Old Board posts. I suspect all of the post from July to the "WORM" are now gone.
As said on Fred?s board ---" it is like a friend has died". A friend that linked us through common love for Baja and it's splendor and uniqueness.
:(
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2003 at 09:46 PM

Wild Bill, Jeff understood exactly what I was talking about (thanks Jeff)...

[Edited on 8-27-2003 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2003 at 10:18 PM

Man, just when everything was finally going smooth. Everybody seemed to find their niche, while at the same time find a place for everybody else without forming impenetrable cliques. DK, JS, SH, and everybody else in that group were happy on Amigos. Nosey and Jacky found a good home at Baja Nomad. There were a bunch of different people at the Bundos. And, Fulano seemed happy to be all by himself / herself. I guess he?s a guy; who knows. I?ve been lurking at all of the sites everyday since I last felt like spouting my mouth off on all of them quite some time ago. I have a feeling that it is going to be deja vu all over again.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2003 at 12:20 AM
Deja vu all over again...Let's hope not!

Bajabus couldn't have said it better. Welcome to all, but please be tolerant of those of us who became unwilling regufees from the Amigos board.

I just hope that those who come here will simply click on the posters that interest them and avoid the ones they don't agree with. There's room for everybody if just a little respect is given to the worth of everybody having an opinion whether we agree with those opinions or not. It's such a simple concept, but so few people get it.

Doug has been an excellent host and who knows - this board may wind up being even better than Amigos in the long run, if enough people with a halfway open mind move here. I think it very well may sort itself out that way, so I wouldn't be too pessimistic.

Nighty - night, Packy- Jacky
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 8-27-2003 at 11:38 AM

Well, well, well ... lookie what I found. AMIGOS! Wondered where ya'all went.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2003 at 01:18 PM
notification

I notified all amigos that I had private E's for....perhaps we could all do the same and get back together....

Capt. George:fire:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 06:54 AM

Hi Capt. George,

We 'Nomads' of Baja travel will get together in person to meet, swap stories, have fun.

In Baja, Baja Nomad Moderator Michelle ('M') has her BBBB parties, open to all who show up. In Southern California, I have the Viva Baja get-togethers, held in restaurants (limited space, so by invitation only).

'M' announces her BBBBs on the board. I email invitations to about 150 Baja amigos. If you would like to get an invitation to the next Viva Baja, you must be someone who 'shares' Baja with others (ie. posts travel stories, writes books, has a Baja tourism business). If you are one of these, then drop me an email at the address in my web site, so you will get notified of the next Viva Baja.

See BBBB (1,2,4) and Viva Baja (1-4) photos, linked in my web site...

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 07:25 AM
Newbie to Baja

David K, I'm sure I'll become a part of your get-togethers. Have already formed a Mexican Corp. "Saliente Luna" and have purchased a lot in Loreto on Pipilio. Hope to build a small casa and a couple of small guest units....Will rent a place this winter, October through May, still looking. Anybody have any leads?? Happy about this site, really missed the Amigos board.
See you in Loreto!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 05:54 PM

That would be great George... :bounce::yes:

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 06:56 PM

David -

Don't take this wrong way man, but the BBB thing and the deal you put on have always stuck me as kind of cliquish (as in exclusive) . I hope this board doesn't become the same.

Sometimes bigger ain't better.

Let's not make private stuff we have going on too high profile.

Braulio.
el fino

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 09:30 PM

I don't see how the BBBB could be considered a cliquie when it was stated that it is open to anyone who wants to be there. As for David K's party, yes, I can see where it is considered private, because it is by invitation only.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.