Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Spot GPS Messenger
bajanow
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 11:39 AM
The Spot GPS Messenger

On our recent Baja trip, I was introduced to "The Spot." It is an automated GPS locator and messenger, the size of a GPS. This is not a commercial and I don't sell them. But, have you ever had your wife or friends worry about you during your Baja travels? This is an overview:

The SPOT sends messages via satellites to e-mail addresses and/or cell phones

Each message contains 2 things.
1. GPS coordinates (+- 5 feet)
2. A link to Google maps

There are 3 modes of messaging

“911”– When the 911 button is pressed, a message is sent to our international 911 response center. The proper authorities are then dispatched to your location.

“OK”—The OK button is used to send an all is well message to friends and family.

“Help”– The help button is designed to be used in non-life threatening situations. The people on your contact list are notified of your position and request for assistance

Tracking Feature
Every 10 minutes for 24 hours, your position is plotted. With your permission, anyone with an Internet connection can monitor your progress. The tracking feature is also an excellent personal trip log that is a great compliment to photos or journal entries

I think this is a very useful device.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 11:42 AM

Here ya go:

http://international.findmespot.com/
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 11:55 AM

It's Great .......

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 12:25 PM

Got a friend who has one and he swears by it, also the CAP is thinking about a group purchase.

They have been discussed here on the board before, but thanks for bringing it up again!!!!

Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 12:36 PM

Used one for about 6 months now. It is great especially the tracking feature, which lets friends and family track us when we are on an adventure tour and as a communication device if we break down or have an emergerncy -- the price is right.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 05:03 PM

How long before the cranial implantation scar heals?
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 05:14 PM

I have a buddy that uses one for hunting and loves it.
biglar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 08:39 PM

The SPOT is definitely a good idea, and can be a lifesaver. Since I hike and climb alone a lot, and am definitely a senior citizen now, (66 yrs) my cousin badgered and bullied me into buying a SPOT about a year ago, and I've used it a LOT........and so far, I'm still on the original batteries. Amazing.

I like the SPOT and don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but they are not a cure all, and I've noticed some things you should be aware of. Maybe others could do some documenting to see if theirs does the same things.

First, the transmitter and/or the receiver are not very strong. An experiment showed that mine will not work in a pouch similar to a cell phone pouch. (the SPOT is quite a bit bigger and it's harder to find a pouch) My Garmin eTrex Legend works fine with a velcro-ed fabric flap over it. The SPOT does not.

If you're hiking in a wooded area, don't depend on it. I pressed the check/OK button out on the tip of Cape Flattery, WA last summer, looked around for a bit, then hiked back to my truck and drove back to Neah Bay. The SPOT didn't send until I was nearly back to Neah Bay - over ½ hour later........but in all fairness, almost the whole way was thru brush and overstory. It's a factor to keep in mind.

Sending times can vary a lot. I logged times I pushed the check/OK button and compared them later with sent times on the computer, and the times varied by anywhere from 4 minutes to 22 minutes. A lag, I expect and accept, but sometimes this is awkward. I often use mine to document the farthest reach of a hike or quad trip, or the summit of a climb. To be sure, you've got to sit around for 20 minutes - and then hope.............

That brings me to the one that worries me just a little.........it doesn't always send. This, I haven't logged completely yet, but it would appear that mine sends about 9 out of 10 times, or maybe 14 out of 15.....but it does NOT send infallibly. I hope the 911 feature is 100% if I ever need it. I nearly did on Jan 11, when I rolled my quad and got crushed under it. I did hike out to help, but it was close.

I learned a lesson from that, too. The SPOT was under a bungee on the front rack of the quad, where it had a clear view of the sky. When quad rolled, the SPOT went flying. It was about 15 feet away from where I was laying injured in the trail and If I'd been badly hurt, I couldn't have reached it. I've since bought a snug elastic camera carrier pouch from Radio Shack and stitched it onto my pack. Food for thought.

All that said, I like it and my cousin loves it. If anything ever happens to this one, I'll immediately buy another. Some friends that I have on the check/OK send had more fun with the maps last summer than I did. It's a great tool, but it does have quirks.

No point in flaming me - I'll absolutely stand behind what I say here.

Lar.
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 09:38 PM

On last years Baja Bush Pilots Central America trip they had Spot on all of the airplanes. I didn't make the trip but watched the planes fly from the U.S. through all of Mexico and Central America on my computer. It was amazing to see the 10 minute updates as they made their way through all the countries. At on point they all disappeared into the ocean but I zoomed up and saw that they had landed on a small island off the Honduran coast. Each aircraft had a number assigned on the computer display so you could know who it was.
Amazing technology at a very cheap price.

McNulty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 10:59 PM

Definitly putting this on my wish-list

Given there aren't many "wooded" areas in Baja I'm assuming the lag in the sending that biglar experienced won't be as big of an issue. Are there any other cons to this SPOT thing because most of what I am seeing right now are definite pros.

SPOT=more time in baja without friends and family freaking out. :yes:

Thanks
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 11:07 PM

pay the extra $50.00 a year for the 911 service.....don't leave home without it!!!!!

biglar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2009 at 08:24 AM

You bet. Pay for the extra service - it's worth it, and I also pay the $7.95 for evacuation insurance. I hope I didn't sound too negative in my story above - I take the SPOT with me on all trips. It's got quirks, yes, but it's a very useful, handy tool.

As far as sending lags, I'm in Blythe, CA for the winter (going back to Santa Fe next month) and there aren't any forests here, either. This is where I 've done most of my documenting.

Lar.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.