JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 04:53 PM

Trade you that average looking white mountain for 50 miles of cactuses:biggrin:

suess60

lol.gif posted on 4-7-2009 at 09:01 PM
love the blog

Don and Linda,
So glad you made it across with no problems. I love the blog especially the pictures!! Keep posting them!!
Cheryl
fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 09:22 PM
In Guerrero Negro, BCS!!

We saw a lot of beautiful sights from Tecate to Guerrero Negro today. The Baja definitely is a special place on this earth! South of Ensenada we stopped for Marisco's. I of course could not pass on the Campechana! Wow this was really good. Linda had fish and shrimp tacos. The price was fantastic. Thanks to the exchange right now.

I can still taste that campechana!

Not all the roads are winding. There is a fair amount of endless straight road.

The Boojum is an odd looking cactus. Amazing that the Baja is the only place in the world that it grows!

Close up of the Boojum

Some of the rock formations and cactus create a surreal effect!

This turn off to BOLA is for you Nomad folk who spend time there are not here right now but want to be. Looks like I am taking my half out of the middle of the road.

Our room tonight in Guerrero Negro, BCS. At Malarrimo's well known for their whale tours.

Going to turn in for tonight. Will meet up with Pompano tomorrow and also see the Vandenbergs in Nopolo tomorrow before we reach La Paz.:O

suzeern

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 06:19 AM

all I can say is WOW
fluff57

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 11:49 AM

Were you two at ? no new pictures yesterday.........
fixtrauma
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 08:53 PM
Late Entry!

Hello everyone, we got busy right off the bat last evening when we arrived in between El Centenario and Chemetla just out of La Paz. Spent time catching up with family and friends. Great to be back here again. So I am doing a late entry for yesterday:

We left GN at 0615 with it still alittle dark out. Excited about our last leg of the drive to La Paz. We planned to have breakfast in San Ignacio. It was still fairly early when we arrived. I am including the drive through the forests of palms and past the laguna on the way into the old town. When we arrived a man was sweeping the town square with a palm branch just as we had seen 11 or 12 years ago the last time we drove. As we waited for breakfast activity began to increase around the square.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tsDlYW0VI4

The old mission at San Ignacio early in the morning. Breakfast coming right up!

I really enjoy the old style architecture found in San Ignacio. This blue is really pleasing.

Great doorway.

Another great doorway viewed from my chair at breakfast.

On our way again. The roads don't show on this GPS while in Mexico but enjoy seeing our location on the Baja.

Linda and I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to Pompano for his hospitality to us as we traveled through BOC area. He was kind to take the second lap with the care package for Sarah. What a view you have from your place!

You think that the Easter vacation campers have arrived on the beaches yet? Ha!

Arriving in Loreto, we made a trip down to the Malecon and the dock area to witness this lighthouse that has been written about on this site............Yep, it is crooked just as reported! Yeah and what do they do with that door so far up on the tower?:?:

Down the road a short distance to Loreto Bay and accepted another generous invitation more Nomad folks. Thanks to Ed and Barbara Vandenberg for their generosity, the refreshing lemonade and funny stories about your geriatric dog and cat!

Also Ed, thanks for all the birds that you had attracted in so we could get views like this Oriole. Saw some like this also at Pompano's place.

Back on the road again soon to follow a whole truck load of burro's!!

As soon as we passed the Pemex station entering into Centenario we turned right and drove up the hill to view the evening light on the bay from the site we will build the house on. Amazing colors!

Then a few more miles to km-11 to Campestre Maranatha to visit with Linda's family and to arrive at our place to stay "La Casa Chica". Ready to unpack that car!

[Edited on 4-10-2009 by fixtrauma]

[Edited on 4-10-2009 by fixtrauma]:lol::lol:

fixtrauma
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 09:15 PM
You won't believe what BajaNomad can do!!

We had just pulled into Campestre Maranatha and visited with family. I was driving my car to the back of the camp through the RV Park area and saw a couple and their friend sitting by their RV visiting. They were all strangers to me but I stopped to visit for a bit. I noticed the one man just kind of eyeballing me and not saying anything for the first couple of minutes. Then he asked "Are you Don? Didn't you cross at Tecate? You stayed last night in Guerrero Negro, etc.....I have been reading all about your trip down here to La Paz on BajaNomad and I recognized you the minute you got out of the car!

They introduced themselves, Danny and Jane Shea..........and Bodie from Southern Calif. Not members of BajaNomad but have been reading it for 2 years.

We are glad to have you staying at the RV Park here at Campestre Maranatha Danny and Jane.

suzeern

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 05:14 AM

Wow now your famous:bounce: sounds like your having a great trip
lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 07:39 AM

Welcome to La Paz Fixtrauma!

•Life is just one damned thing after another
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 08:32 AM

What a fantastic trip report along with so many great images. It feels like I am making this trip myself!
Bob H
fixtrauma
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 09:10 AM
lingililingili

Thanks for the welcome to La Paz lingililingili. It is always refreshing to get here. Have not truly enjoyed La Paz yet unless you can call buying fence post, wire and shoveling sand refreshing!:yes::yes:

Bob.......glad you are enjoying the blog. It ends up requiring quite a bit to keep up! I know I won't be doing again in 8 weeks when I return to La Paz:lol::lol: We will be flying and that is not as interesting anyway.

fluff57

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 02:54 PM

Glad you made it safely........
fluff57

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 03:02 PM

Now I see why you two love to go to Mexico, looks very nice and a place to go and unwind...............
fluff57

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 10:18 PM

Good talking to you Don
fluff57

[*] posted on 4-11-2009 at 01:39 PM

Work on the fence today???
fixtrauma
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2009 at 03:20 PM
Now......the work! Come join me fluff57!

First thing in the morning was to meet with my nephew Rick Byers from Hacienda's Palo Verde and my new neighbor Tom for coffee.

Friday I met up with my friend Chuy from El Centenario. He has a metal shop as well as does some construction. Here he is with a gate he is completing for a customer. I have seen other artwork he has built into doors and gates as well as wall sections. I think he does a great job.

Gathering material for a fence. Where are my sons? I forgot that these cement bags are 50 kg! 110 lbs. Oh well, it's good for me.....right??

Car pickup!

Lunch at Mr. Tacos in El Centenario. Yep, I'll go back.

Isiah does good work.

Some of our Cardon.

Sunset over El Centenario on Good Friday.

Today, Saturday, we cleared one 80 meter fence line and got 30 post holes dug. Yep.....rocks-o-plenty.

Going at it.

Tomorrow Linda and I will join Chuy out in Melitón Albáñez and be celebrating the resurrection of our Lord. At least 90 more holes to dig Monday.

[Edited on 4-11-2009 by fixtrauma]

fixtrauma
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2009 at 08:01 PM
Downtown Melitón Albáñez, BCS, Mexico

We have been going to Melitón Albáñez for about 10 years. Todays trip was an absolute delight. Used to be that narrow, no shoulder, big drop off road out of La Paz with many dips on the way to Checko's. Then when you turned at Checko's to head off towards Melitón it was hit or miss on the dirt road for the next 30 to 40 minutes. I have been seeing the improvements coming but today was the first time for me with it all completed. Other than some bridge construction out of La Paz towards the turn off to Todos Santos it was still 4 lane when I turned off at Checko's and paved road all the way to Melitón. Not only that.......as you see in the picture the main street no longer is a dirt road with car sized holes but a new (as Chuy put it) boulevard! As you can see, not much going on in Melitón at 5 pm Sunday afternoon.

Chuy, Linda, Angel and I enjoying the best ceviche I have ever had. Angel's dad made it. His Bar-B-Q's are out of this world as well. This group of people have added more flavor to my life than I could have imagined. I am blessed to know them and call them my friends.

Tomorrow a machete , shovel and pry rod will be my acquaintances.

fluff57

[*] posted on 4-12-2009 at 10:39 PM

xxxxxxxx
pal57
Junior Nomad

Mood: Valentino Rossi the Best!

[*] posted on 4-13-2009 at 12:50 AM

Hi Fixtrauma,
thanks for your trip report it will be very useful for our trip in Baja, even if we don't think to work out with any fences.:spingrin:

The ceviche and campachana seams delicious, can't wait to eat does mexican foods, even if here in Italy our food is not that awesome. :lol:

Pal57

One by one
Only the Good die young
They\'re only flyin\' too close to the sun
We\'ll remember -
Forever...
(Queen - No One but You)
------------------------------------------------
visit: http://sanmarinoguide.altervista.org
My moto Blog: http://pal57-motoguidasanmarino.blogspot.com/
fluff57

[*] posted on 4-13-2009 at 08:23 AM

It looks like you have a job ahead of you with all the fence post's
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.