Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: injured dog on the malecon - help
cjinca
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 08:41 PM

didn't dogs last night or tonight... will keep trying. :)
frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-14-2009 at 11:04 PM
Redhilltown

Quote:"Which reminds me to take Kim in El Rosario some supplies next time through...she does great work."

Kim, in El Rosario, is indeed incredible with all the work she does re dogs and cats in that area. I have brought a few of her rescues back to Canada for adoption over the years. Please say "Hi" from me - Barb in Canada - if you see her soon.

I always stop by to see her each year when I'm going South and North but I missed her this year. Could you also tell her "Misha" is doing Really Really well and has an awesome family in Victoria.

Thanx
cjinca
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 08:47 PM

update: we went to a vet associated with bajadogs.com and told him situation. he gave us tranquilizers and we hoped to bring blackie in that night as we'd just seen the group of dogs before going to vet. but no, dogs were gone. then we saw them around 7:30pm and vet closes at 8pm. so didn't have time for drug to work and get to vet. plus, it's not a good time of days cuz dogs seem to travel across the street looking for 'mario'. we met him later that evening and told him we'd like to get dog treated at vet. he seemed good with it. since then, it's been cat and mouse trying to find the dogs.
so we went back to vet, asked for some type of topical antibiotic to give in the even we see dogs when vet is closed (which seems to be often the case).

blackie is still doing good, though wound is gaping.

i don't see link for inserting photos but when i find it, i'll share pic.
cjinca
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2009 at 02:03 PM

well, we've been back in socal for almost 2 months. In cleaning out my inbox, I realize that I never followed up on Blackie.
The short of it is, she was healing on her own quite well last time we checked. Wound had closed and her friend was continuing to lick it, encouraging drainage.
We'd bought a tranquilizer, antibiotic spray, visited vet's office twice, seen her once or twice a week and decided to leave things as they were. She'll have an ugly scar but my husband thinks it will heal up completely. He compared it to a non-show cow/horse injury.
So again thanks for all the replies. Thinking it's still quite hot there. Enjoy the shade and tacos for us. Carol

[Edited on 8-12-2009 by cjinca]

5-11 BAJADOGS 002.jpg - 25kB
Kell-Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2009 at 04:52 PM

I couldn't have said it better.

Quote:
Originally posted by lesliego
You know, you guys are something to be proud of - taking care of injured dogs - I'm happy to even know you on this board. Hopefully, you'll take that good care of me, if I need it. I know I would of you....
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-13-2009 at 04:56 PM

Thanks so much - you are an angel...

Mika
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 08:17 AM

Thank you for a good story (and with the happy ending!) I am often too scare to read any Mexican dog related posts as they just break my heart. But as I am getting ready to get to Baja again soon, I am trying to read up just in case I can do something to help.

We are headed to Baja next month and probably stop in La Paz too. If you see the dog I will let you know how she is doing.
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2009 at 08:21 AM

it looks like it will heal. theres a bed of granulation tissue already. next time if theres a similar situation, if you can take a photo and u2u me i may be able to help.
cjinca
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2009 at 11:08 AM

Buenos Dias, Kell-Baja, BajaGringo, Mika, Dr.Tom and the rest...

Sitting in a tea shoppe in Idyllwild this fine Sunday morning enjoying the mountains, trees and air.

Mika, I would LOVE to hear that Blackie is still cruising along. She is most likely pregant, FYI. The terrier had mated both females over a 3 week period. You'll probably see the dogs along the malecon during the day, and late evening, they'll stroll with Manuel (I think I remember correctly) on the business side of street, getting cans from trash barrels. He feeds them from barrels, too - fresh throw-aways. I'm including pic of the trio.

Dr. Tom, Blanca was continuing to lick wound even when it had closed, which I think is probably pretty essential for drainage and keeping it open enough to heal from the inside. Hope so.

Thanks again to all and Happy Sunday! cj

5-5 BLACKIE Y BAJADOGS 002.jpg - 23kB
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2009 at 02:59 PM

yes, licking can keep it "debrided" but for it to eventually heal, id recommend maybe polysporin or some kind of antibiotic ointment 2-3 times a day without any steroids (ie hydrocortisone).....and possibly an "elizabethan collar" so the dog cant lick it....
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.