Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  50    52    54  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
SharonT

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain4tuna
Has anyone seen the south side of the river? Anything standing?
Any word on San Ignacio Springs? Terry's in Vancouver and we can't reach Gary.
Thank you all for all your updates.

The only thing I have heard/seen about the south side of the river is the most recent post on the Jimena thread from Engineer Mike about the Orchard. We are in the Oasis and I haven't seen anything posted about the Oasis yet, besides that we know it is probably very, very bad.
captain4tuna
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 06:28 PM

Thanks for your reply. I can't describe what we are feeling at the moment.
bajachris
Nomad

Mood: Love Baja

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 06:29 PM

San Juanico

Does any one have any additional info on San Juanico? I heard that the eye passed over and there was some wind damage but I am not sure how bad.

Thanks
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 06:31 PM

Heard this morning that most all of the houses in the Oasis Nolet have sustained damage, roof damage in particular, and some of the Oasis homes on the riverfront are gone.

News has reached one Nomad family that their riverhouse is standing, boats still there, everything dirty but intact.

I have the house with the birds under the mango tree. I don't know the damage my house has sustained and at this moment, of course would like to hear a report, but am personally focused with the health and well-being of the community. Wish I were in Mulege to assist in relief efforts, but realize that my presence would tax the limited infrastructure that is available.

Hold positive thoughts and work from here, folks. Thanks.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 06:59 PM

The Baja Bush Pilots have a virtual air force lined up ready to go. See details at www.bajabushpilots.com. Includes heavy haulers such as Citation jets and large turbine aircraft and helicopters. What is needed is delivery of goods to airports where the aircraft can be loaded. This is where Nomads can help. See details on the website.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
See details on the website.

Thanks LD..Maybe you could cut 'n paste some of those details and bring them over here for more exposure.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
See details on the website.

Thanks LD..Maybe you could cut 'n paste some of those details and bring them over here for more exposure.

Yes, please. I know there is information on the first page, but for those of us who are not members, there may be more information in the members forum

REALLY interested in this effort

Diane

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 07:13 PM

More details concerning the airlift help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several issues on Hurricane Jimene - 9/4/2009

We need relief Items….

We have aircraft ready to go and we need more things to put in them. I am going down to Ciudad Constitucion in the morning to meet with the Red Cross coordinator to determine the needs and where the supplies are most needed. We will be over flying the entire mid-Baja area to determine these needs. I will be spending one or two nights there.

We have people lining up donations but we have the ability to take more. Critical right now is clothing, shelter, meds, food, and someway to purify water. The water supply and electricity is out in Mulege, Santa Rosalea, Loreto, and other villages. Major power substation are blown up and it will take weeks to rebuild them.

The people in Baja are in trouble and need help. We need all the donations we can get.

Regarding aircraft, we are set to transport relief supplies. They include:

Two Citation Jets

Three PC 12

One MU-2

10 +- piston twins

15+- singles

3 R44

1 Ranger

I am good right now with aircraft. What I need is drop-off locations where people can take their donations.

If you have space, preferably at an airport, please email me asp with your contact information, where the location is, and how people can leave items. I will be posting a list of drop-off places as soon as I can, indicate “Drop-off” in your subject line. Send to jack@bajabushpilots.com

I will be doing a full report as soon as I get back as to additional items needed as well as where items can be taken. There may be the need to go down as early as Tuesday once we work out the logistics.

And from several emails I have received from people down there now:

Dear Mr. McCormick,

My name is Rosalva Rocha Cuesta. I was born and raised in Mulege, Baja Ca. Sur. This morning I had the fortune to speak with my sister in Mulege. She related to me the devastation left behind by Hurricane Jimena. The trail of damage left by H. Jimena is far worse that H. John back in 2006. The water level was much higher(apparently 2meters over the bridge in town), than of H. John´s. Without going into further detail, I am sure you get the picture. The only store in town open for business is "´El Pinguino" near the kindergarten area. Most of the supermarkets in town had major flood problem damaging their goods and were left unable to provide for the Muleginos in need. La tienda "El Pinguino", was running out of everything this morning already.

I understand you and your colleagues had been very generous in the past, not only to Muleginos but, to the people in need in Baja California. I am sending this message to you requesting your help for my people in Mulege. Muleginos have no way to reach out at this point, but they are in desperate need of water and food. I asked a person in town to check the status of the landing strip at Serenidad-major flood there too. Another option would be the Old landing strip near, what used to be, "Hotel Mulege" in Colonia Loma Azul by the lighthouse. The third option would be Punta Chivato´s landing strip. Perhaps local fishermans could transport the goods up the river to the Town of Mulege. Just a thought.

I would love to hear back from you. Many thanks in advanced for your time and your generosity.

Best Regards,

Rosalva Rocha C.

And

Hello Joe Diorio here at chivato... PCH runway was in good shape until it started raining again this AM. Will need a couple of days to dry when the sun comes out.... Latest from Palo Verde / san Bruno/ Chivato bay... what ever you want to call it. It´s un usable. large boulders and river ran through the middle of it. serenidad under water .... so we should have our road graded to the highway as soon as the sun comes out and I´ve heard that the road from Palo Verde to mulege is passable.... maybe air lift to here and run in with trucks??? Let me know if i can help from here. Will walk runway as soon as rain stops...

And

Jack, I just talked to Loreto, there is no electricty, which they guess won´t be connected for 10 days to two weeks. No water anywhere in town for 4 days. All food sold out of markets, o e gas station running on a generator-lines over 1/2 mile, night and day.

I may go to Loreto Monday, any word on airport conditions?

Dave Perry N59046

Sent from my iPhone

(
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 07:20 PM

OK...Great. Things are on the move. Can anybody tell us of the efforts to gather commodities for transport by BBP? There are a lot of gaps in the reports.
Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 07:24 PM

EngineerMike

I can't believe how amazing you are, and so helpful to everyone. Thank you SO much for all the info. We heard from Adan, our priceless worker bee that he was sorry our house was really dirty, both boats ok. I have to assume this means it is still standing. Could be that our huge steel outbuilding with the big boat in it blocked some of the brunt of the storm. We are at #54 in the Oasis. We left a message for Jimmy Christopher in Henderson, but haven't heard back yet. Rosalind and Mike Reichner
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 07:39 PM
San Juanico, September 4, 2009

From a local San Juanico resident and I quote:

"When I went down the beach and saw this on my moto the first morning, all I wanted to do is talk to the captain. Did he wait for the biggest baddest, set to come in and scream, "going to the beach mother flockers". Nothing like riding one right to the shore and feeling like life is just a barrel of fun."

I don't think anyone could have said it better...even if the words are a little "colorful"!

[Edited on 9-5-2009 by Juan del Rio]

SJ Boat.jpg - 31kB
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 07:45 PM
San Juanico, September 4, 2009

Mesqitel still flowing hard as well as the Cadeje River I'm told. No one can get in or out of San Juanico at the moment. The word is that the Purisima River is still flowing really hard as well...so San Juanico, at the moment is an Island. Most residents are fine. They have food, water and the people are taking care of those who lost their homes. No other word on any road conditions locally at this time. Chino and Antonio are just itching to get out for a supply run when and if they can!

[Edited on 9-5-2009 by Juan del Rio]

MesqeitalX.jpg - 44kB
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 07:57 PM
San Juanico September 4, 2009

The old water tower blew down. It was no longer in use, so it's nice that it will become someone's roof, a bunch of fences, gates for the entire town or maybe someome will use it again to store water.

SJ Water Tower.JPG - 49kB
DeschutesDiva

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 08:02 PM

PHOTOS - MULEGE & PLAYA EL BURRO

Our favorite hippy dippy weatherman, Geary Ritchie on Playa El Burro, has POSTED PHOTOS of both the beach and Mulege. He has also posted a narrative on his weatherunderground blog page. I'm grateful to say our palapa is still standing - at least when you look at it from the water. No idea what damage the back may have sustained. As you will see, not all structures on El Burro fared as well... Thank you Geary for getting these pics posted! Knowing the condition, whether good or bad, is better than worrying over the unknown.

Geary's blog:
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Geary/show.html

The photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bajageary
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 08:03 PM

Sorry to jump in here, but can someone provide a link to what Jimena looks like now?

Thanks,

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DeschutesDiva

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 08:15 PM

Try this, if you look at the satellite image you'll see that Jimena has apparently evaporated.
Now called a remnant low, the prognosticators never gave up trying to make it turn around and go back west across the Baja, while Jimena insisted on moving to the north, then north east, then south east before petering out. Check computer models and projected tracks as well.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200913_sat.h...
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 08:19 PM

I've been watching that site.

The radar and the sat shots don't show anything happening, yet the tracking shows it's right there.

I was hoping for something that will tell us where it is right now.

Or is it gone?

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 08:22 PM

Of all the times I've driven by El Burro, I don't recall the palapas being built RIGHT on the water, am I right that the beach "went away". So sad to see Mulege hit again so bad.
Sorry. I don't relate to the image, but I do stack rocks.
It is ALL tenuous. IMJ. :no:

Copy (3) of IMG_0193.JPG - 23kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DeschutesDiva

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 08:25 PM

Paulina -

Do you monitor this site as well?

http://www.eebmike.com/

[Edited on 9-5-2009 by DeschutesDiva]
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 08:26 PM

Kudos to the bushpilots. We need to regionalize to coordinate donations. We live by Sonora In Toulumne county, Calif. We have an airport here and I would be glad to hold donations untill a plane can pick them up. I know there are several people here with homes or ties to Mulege but getting in touch with them all is problematical. Nevertheless We will do what we can. I will give Jack my contact info and go from there. Contact me thru his list.
Hints: childrens clothes and shoes are hard to come by even in good times.
Winter is coming so sweatshirts and pants will be needed soon.
 Pages:  1  ..  50    52    54  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.