BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Who's going to the Baja1000 this year?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 10:31 AM

Why is that a problem? The race is not going any further south than San Felipe... Is it crowds you want to avoid? Baja tourism has been suffering... nobody going... Even during the races, much fewer involved than years past. Thanksgiving is not until the following Thursday weekend...

Still waiting to see the course map, but the rumor is a loop event between Ensenada and San Felipe.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 12:14 PM

wish it went by gonzaga. that was fun to watch at night.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 01:53 PM

Never again Mike... at least that would be my guess as they are paving the road south of Puertecitos... and there isn't room for a parallel dirt route on those cliffsides.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Why is that a problem? The race is not going any further south than San Felipe... Is it crowds you want to avoid? Baja tourism has been suffering... nobody going... Even during the races, much fewer involved than years past. Thanksgiving is not until the following Thursday weekend...

We either go down for 9 of 16 days (sat thru sun)
I dont do the Baja Mil just like I dont drive in Baja at night.
Its a 15 hour day for us to get to Gonzaga. We have had more than a few problems with delays thru San Felipe (4 hours to get thru S.F. race day one time), all the idiot wannabe racers passing stupidly and "racing" everywhere, having to drive the course BACKWARDS* during the race one time, and the long wait to get back across the border on the Sunday after Thanksgiving...
The race happening when we were going to go down broke the camels back.
We have just about given up on X-mass trips for the same reason (crowds on the highways, gas problems, and long line to get back across after new year).

* You aint lived until you raced the Baja 1000 against traffic :O (it might have been the SF 250, but still!)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 02:24 PM

Sure... I just wanted to give you some hope... Death Valley is interesting, but the beach at Badwater is not even close, and the pup-fish tacos are too salty... LOL

You must have been there for the San Felipe 250 (March usually)? There is still no guarantee the 1000 is going to come near San Felipe or even through it... The map comes out in a week or two, hang on untill then!

For the record, the Baja 1000 (or Mexican 1000 from 1967-1972) has run every November since 1967, except 1974!

So, remember November for the 1000, June for the 500, and March for the 250.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 05:35 PM

Bwana_John there are crasy things that happen during the SCORE races and some people act really stupid. But it is also a great event with a lot of excitement that helps the economy of Baja while providing an exciting race event. If you take it easy and flow with the action it can be fun for you. If you plan your trip to pass thru San Felipe before Nov 20th you won't have any problems. If you come back on Sunday the 22nd there will be long lines at the border.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-6-2009 at 01:08 PM

I will definitely be heading down. Baja Bound is sponsoring a taco stand at Borrego Junction that Locos Mocos is setting up to raise money for orphans and low income children with cancer. Come by and get some tacos! Visit Locos Mocos for more information.

[Edited on 10-6-2009 by BajaGeoff]

steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 08:48 PM
count me in for this one

I will likely be at the Baja Pits Borrego area pit (RM 200) on Fri. early am. First bikes through around 9:30 am and Trophy Trucks 4 hrs later.

I hope to be joined by Baja Warrior, Rob, or any other Nomads that want to have some fun watching from that area.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by steekers
I will likely be at the Baja Pits Borrego area pit (RM 200) on Fri. early am. First bikes through around 9:30 am and Trophy Trucks 4 hrs later.

I hope to be joined by Baja Warrior, Rob, or any other Nomads that want to have some fun watching from that area.

I actually started to type that I wouldn't be able to make this one but after checking the calender looks like I can. I'm going to drive down on Thursday afternoon, then meet you early Friday a.m. and we'll make a day of it. I'll contact BajaRob as he is back in camp again to see if he wants to come along. We'll tighten plans up as we get close...

Chris and Geoff and some Guests don't come down until Wednesday the 25th so I'm on my own until then...

BW

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
jimboats

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 09:15 AM

didn't know they wewe still having it with all the problems, i'll be there!! how do i get a map?
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 11:50 AM
Map link

Course map is posted as a downloadable PDF:

http://www.score-international.com/races/1124/Tecate_SCORE_B...

2009-Baja1000map.gif - 24kB
steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 07:22 PM

OK...sounds good.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 08:15 PM

Check out TW's thread where ther Baja 1000 map is posted: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=41848

[Edited on 10-12-2009 by David K]

TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 03:27 PM

Thanks David. Much better image.

TF
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 10-26-2009 at 02:38 PM

I've been to Coyote Cal's twice in the past two months WITHOUT an FM-t and had NO PROBLEMS at either the multiple military checkpoints or at a random Federalie checkpoint. They didn't ask for my passport or an FM-t. And I was a single male traveler. I suspect they have much bigger issues that they're concerned about (i.e.; guns, drugs, money). Hmmm, kinda sounds like a Warren Zevon song.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Ah! The mention of Coyote Cal's. Haven't been there in years. Got nostalgic and checked out their web site. There is a glaring bit of misinformation on their site wherein they state specifically that FM-t is not needed to visit them.

[Edited on 10-26-2009 by bryanmckenzie]
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 10-26-2009 at 02:47 PM
I'm still looking for a trip buddy

I'm still looking for a trip buddy per THIS POST and have made my Coyote Cal's reservation.

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
I'm solo and also looking to maybe tag along with someone or a group. Otherwise I was thinking of staying at Coyote Cal's Hostel at Ejido Erindria for a few nights and watch the race from their rooftop balconies while sipping Margaritas & Tecate ... http://www.coyotecals.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2009 at 05:31 PM

Well, they call this 'Baja Nomad' because we are mostly solo travelers... sometimes group together for fun. Do have fun...

Several Nomads are going to the big DOUBLE pit/ checkpoint at Borrego Wash (Race Mile 200 & 390)... Baja Pits and Locos Mocos are there and doing a fund raiser for kids with cancer, in Baja...

BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 05:06 AM

Hola Mike y Chuck. We plan to watch the race at the junction of the KM 31 road and the Old Puertecitos Road ( Race Mile 325 ). The 4 wheels will start at 10:30 and at a conservative 52 MPh should start arriving about 4:30. Look forward to seeing you both.
steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
Hola Mike y Chuck. We plan to watch the race at the junction of the KM 31 road and the Old Puertecitos Road ( Race Mile 325 ). The 4 wheels will start at 10:30 and at a conservative 52 MPh should start arriving about 4:30. Look forward to seeing you both.

Sorry Rob but looks like Chuck and I will be at Borrego pits that day. Since I will be down early that week we can come see you at your place.

I would likely visit you on Sun., 11/15 if you are there. Let me know.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 11-1-2009 at 04:57 AM

We will be here on the 15th and look forward to seeing you.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.