Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: U.S. RETIREMENT TRENDS POLL
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 06:20 PM
U.S. RETIREMENT TRENDS POLL

Remember the poll we were asked to participate in last year? Here is the first part of the results. Use the link at the center of the page:
-----------------------

Having trouble viewing this e-mail? Click here to view web version.

International Community Foundation Releases Report on
U.S. Retirement Trends in Coastal Communities of Mexico
Dear Study Participant:

Last year you agreed to participate in a study being undertaken by the International Community Foundation on U.S. retirement trends in Mexico. I am pleased to report that the first of five studies based on our research findings has now been released. Our first study is entitled, "U.S. Retirement Trends in Mexico’s coastal Communities: Lifestyle Priorities and Demographics." You can access the report at:
http://www.icfdn.org/publications/retireeresearch/.

Other forthcoming studies will address U.S. retirement trends on issues related to health care; volunteerism, charitable giving and civic engagement, real estate and the environment.

Thank you again for your willingness to support our foundation's research efforts. As our other forthcoming studies are released, we will be sure to forward them to you.

If you have any questions pertaining to the study do not hesitate to contact me at rkiy@icfdn.org.

Kind Regards,

Richard Kiy
President & CEO
International Community Foundation
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 07:30 PM

That was really interesting. I just read the "summary" so far and it pretty much rings true IMO. Of interest to me was that Retirees tend to keep a little social distance from their Mexican neighbors and the two major concerns for those in coastal areas was the litter and sewage.

[Edited on 3-11-2010 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
captainkettel

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 06:41 PM
Thanks Man

Dennis, thanks for the very informative survey. I have read some of the topics and found the "key findings" section tells me almost everything I need to know why I should retire in Baja. Besides I just love it there! Now I just have to work on my spanish more...lol...:lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captainkettel
Dennis, thanks for the very informative survey. I have read some of the topics and found the "key findings" section tells me almost everything I need to know why I should retire in Baja. Besides I just love it there! Now I just have to work on my spanish more...lol...:lol:

Right on, Cap. Glad you could put it to use.
This poll was offered here as well, I'm sure, as other places so I assume it reflects the opinions of Nomads in general.
Didn't it say this was part one of five, or something like that?
captainkettel

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 08:56 PM

Although I read this whole publication rather quickly I didn't see anything about it being a five part series. There were a vast amount of facts and figures. I was surprised that the mean cost of living for the average US retiree was only in the neighborhood of $1000 per month. Man with a little hard cash you could really live like a king! I think that give the right location and costs for me Baja would be a great destination. I really like the Bay of LA area. i have been looking at a few places but haven't done anything firm as of yet. But I could retire any day now, so who knows...
captainkettel

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 09:03 PM
Five part study

Dennis, you are absolutely right! I read the press release listed with the PDF file on the Survey. In that release it states this is the first of five research studies done by the U.S. Retirement in Mexico Research Series. So I guess keep checking back and to see with the other studies are released. Thanks for the great info...
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 11:03 PM

Don't get too excited. Look at the dates on some of the reports they have gathered info from and look at what they are basing their statistics on.

Just the first statement under the heading "US Consumers are choosing Mexico" should be cause enough for alarm.

“The five largest projects aimed at foreigners, including Loreto Bay, will attract $5 billion of investment by developers and homebuyers within 15 years, according to Mexico’s National Trust Fund for Tourism Development (FONATUR).”14

“In 2004, 36% (or $560 billion) of all real estate sales were of vacation homes and investment properties.”15

“While the estimated population of 50+ seniors in the North American marketplace in 2008 is impressive – 121 million individuals – the forecasted growth is even more impressive, with nearly 159 million adults aged 50+ expected in the combined countries of the USA, Canada and Mexico by the year 2020.”16
captainkettel

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 12:00 AM

Donjulio, thanks for bringing up the vintage date factor. I really am not too concerned about the projects or commercial aspects of this survey. I wouldn't ever buy in a developed vacation or home buyer tourist trap anyway. I have looked at several rather nice little beach area, cabin type, homes. I'm not looking to spend hundreds of thousands dollars for some US developed investment properties. There are enough local small town homes to find one I like. Life in Baja should be simple yet comfortable. One more gringo shouldn't disturb the ecosystem too much...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 01:07 PM

i'm with the captain. if you want to spend $200k in a gated community now is the time to buy, in the US.

baja is about small towns/villages and their ancient character(s). don't bring your precious, old lifestyles down south and expect that you will fit right in. find a place you love and hopefully the place see the same in you......

but, what do i know?

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 01:18 PM

I was actually surprised at the high numbers of retirees in the PV- Nayarit area. On the other hand, this survey limited itself to coastal Mexico. That leaves out alot of territory, including the area near Guadalajara where tens of thousands of expats reside.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I was actually surprised at the high numbers of retirees in the PV- Nayarit area. On the other hand, this survey limited itself to coastal Mexico. That leaves out alot of territory, including the area near Guadalajara where tens of thousands of expats reside.

Yeah...lots of expats in Ajijíc. There's even an American Legion post. Saw it on a website.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 02:08 PM

And lots of walls!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Remember the poll we were asked to participate in last year?

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=41408

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.