Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What is the purpose of an FM3
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 12:46 PM

you're loosing me here DavidE.

You say "A car permit (mainland) is as good as long as the FM-3 is valid."

Then you say "Because my 180 days has elapsed, the car permit has expired and upon my re-entry in Mexico I must purchase another."

And you say " Migracion will merely stamp my FM-3 at no charge."

If the TIP (Temp Import Permit) is good as long as the FM3 is valid, why would you need another after 180 days?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 01:24 PM

Sorry --- I tried to abbreviate...

The permit is good as long as the car remains in Mexico. Before the 180-days of the car permit expires and while the car permit is still good, you can leave and re-enter as many times as you wish using that permit.

When you depart in a car with a permit that has expired, you must turn it in when you get the FM-3 stamped "salida". Upon re-entry the car must be re-bonded with a credit card or ATM visa card. You must not let the car permit expire outside of Mexico and then attempt to re-enter with the car. If there is any doubt of being able to return before the permit expires, turn it in as you leave.

But if the car never leaves Mexico, and the FM-3 is maintained valid, then the car permit remains valid even though the documentation says that it has expired.

Technically a person is not supposed to leave a bonded car in Mexico under an expired FM-3 while visiting outside the country. But it is done all the time, just not rigidly enforced.

If your FM-3 is valid so is your car permit inside Mexico. Exit and you're just another tourist as far as SAT ADUANA is concerned.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
I'm still confused. What is the purpose of an FM3?
Do you have to rent property to get one?
How often must you leave Mexico to have one?
Must you turn it in...or get it stamped...when you leave?
Why is it better than an FMM?
What good is it?

BB:?:

It comes after 2 :cool:

robrt8
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
As been said here many times before, an FM3 protects your rights as a property owner in the case of any kind of dispute.

You could conceivably do without one and never have a problem, but why risk your investment and roll those dice? Mexico is fraught with pitfalls that could strip you of your real estate and your private possessions.

There are career Mexican opportunists who such as the infamous Mano Negro who make their living seeking out those vulnerabilities. In addition, there are the Ejidos who would love to claim your property. Lastly, there are myriad disputes that could occur between your neighbors; some legitimate and some seemingly unjust.

Consider the value of an FM3 as an insurance policy, an inoculation or a condom.:spingrin:

I recently noticed a new paragraph on the FMM card. It says "this allows the holder to acquire real property in Mexico and the rights to such, subject to Article 27 of the constitution..." I'm poorly paraphrasing here, but it does say something like that on the FMM itself now.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by robrt8
I recently noticed a new paragraph on the FMM card. It says "this allows the holder to acquire real property in Mexico and the rights to such, subject to Article 27 of the constitution..." I'm poorly paraphrasing here, but it does say something like that on the FMM itself now.

That must mean land away from the Protected Zone.. near the border and the shore. I think that includes all bodies of water.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge

Mexican Immigration doesn't play patty cake like the US Immigration does. You'll be handcuffed and thrown into the back of a car or pick up truck and hauled to the border and thrown across in short order. They might let you keep what you have in your pockets at the time, not to include anything of value.

Jeeeezo, Jorge....where do they act like that? San Felipe? What with the bad rep the Ensenada agents have earned for themselves, it's mostly due to their in-office nastiness. I don't think I've ever seen them out and about hunting illegals. [maybe they give more attention to "probable cause" than I was aware of..............Nah. That can't be it]
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 01:35 PM

I need some absolute, unequivocal clarification.

DianaT' mentioned that even if one has an FM3, under the new rules now, one who now has an FM3 will also have to obtain and pay for an FMM each and every time the FM3 holder enters Mexico. Question 1 - Is that correct?

Side question: Is an FMM good for only "consecutive" days of up to 180 consecutive days? If an FMM is only good for "consecutive" days. By implication, for example, that would mean that if you entered and left Mexico 3 times in a 40 day period, you would have to purchase a new FMM separarately for each of said 3 visits within a 40 day period.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan

DianaT' mentioned that even if one has an FM3, under the new rules now, one who now has an FM3 will also have to obtain and pay for an FMM each and every time the FM3 holder enters Mexico. Question 1 - Is that correct?

Let me clarify :lol::lol: ---that is what one of the immigration officers at Guerrero Negro told us would eventually happen, but she was not sure---. I also read it somewhere else, but not sure where???

So, I sure hope someone else has some clarification????

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 01:45 PM

Clarification?:lol:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan

Can't help you with absolute or unequivocal :lol:, but according to the new immigration manual published in late January, FM2/3 holders are supposed to fill certain entry/exit info on the FMM "for statistical purposes". Essentially, it's being used in place of the FME form we used to fill out. IMO it won't work well, but that's irrelevant to your question.

Good question about paying. The FMT tourist tax was built into air ticket prices for flights originating outside Mexico, but I don't know if that will continue since the FMM is being used for non-tourists.

Kate

Now it is ALL very clear. :lol::lol::spingrin::tumble:

Oh well, maybe by next year it will be clarified. :lol:

BTW---Kate, thank you for your instructions for the internet form---worked great---took a few tries so we now have multiple numbers, but we are now armed with printed copies to take to the immigration office.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
BTW---Kate, thank you for your instructions for the internet form---worked great---took a few tries so we now have multiple numbers, but we are now armed with printed copies to take to the immigration office.

Don't think that was me ... I've looked at the form but haven't actually tried to use it, since my renewal isn't until November. By then I hope they'll really have things figured out! :lol:

Kate

Well it is that sometimer's acting up again. :yes: So who ever it was, THANKS

And yes, by November, no doubt about it---it will all be totally clear, all immigration offices will be on the same page, there will be no confusion, no conflicting information, and :lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 05:40 PM

The FM whatever doesn't have a negotiable point. It's not what you want to do with it, but what is required for being in country.
It isn't ours to accept or deny. It's their rule and we have to comply with it to be legal in our host country.
They ask us to cooperate in this effort and we should do just that.

[Edited on 5-31-2010 by DENNIS]
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 06:21 PM

Why anyone would take the risk of being an "illegal" here is beyond me, especially when one has any form of investment here, be it a palapa or home just not worth it....

Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:

try staying in Mexico for a couple of months in a rental or a leased piece of property without an FM3. Mexican Immigration doesn't play patty cake like the US Immigration does. You'll be handcuffed and thrown into the back of a car or pick up truck and hauled to the border and thrown across in short order.

We (my family) were illegals in Mexico for four and a half years during the 1960s and would have welcomed that ride to the border, even if they would have thrown us across that last yard. In more recent times, I rented a house in La Paz for a year before getting my FM-3, still no ride to the border. So my personal experience doesn't support your argument. While I realize Mexican officials would have been within their rights to bounce me across the border, my point is that they usually don't sweat that type of stuff, unless one is prone to misbehaving.

Just saying
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 05:43 PM
FM3 Exit Stamps

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
Quote:
With a current FM3 you do not have to leave Mexico at all---

Technically, it is supposed to be stamped when you leave and return---easy by airplane, seldom done by land

With the new FM3/FM2 "ID cards" there is no more stamping.. No one knows if you are here or gone..

I thought that under the new rules, even though we will have our FM3 card, we are "technically" supposed to obtain a FMM when we enter and turn it in when we leave?

I keep getting this vision of several hundred people stopping and blocking the traffic lanes at the Tijuana border while they all at one time, exit their vehicles, jump the fence and run across to the immigration office on the other side to drop off their FMMs. :biggrin:

[Edited on 5-28-2010 by DianaT]

After my third run-in with immigration officials at the TJ airport who threaten to keep me from boarding my plane because my FM3 exit stamps don't match my entrance stamps, I met with officials at the La Paz office to explain the impossibility of obtaining the exit stamp at Otay or San Ysidro. I was told that the exit stamp issue ONLY applies to FM2's because of the 'days out of the country' requirements.

As I speak, they are annotating my FM3 with the applicable
regulations (anotaciones complementarias). I hope I haven't started a peeing contest between the two offices.....

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.