BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11
Author: Subject: ITZEL'S HEART OPERATION... WE DID IT... SUCCESS!!! *** UPDATE & PHOTO ***
a-commit

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 12:01 AM
Dear Nomads:

I have returned from Las Vegas. Itzel, her mom and Antonio are due to come back on Friday.

As reported by Antonio, the operation went very well. Dr. Rothman is pleased. The stent opened Itzel’s aorta from 2mm to 9mm. Dr. Rothman did not want to go further for fear of rupturing the aorta. He would like to do a new procedure on Itzel in about 5 years when she is older and the aorta has fully adjusted to the stent. At that time, he will enlarge the aorta to about 14mm.

Itzel’s body will now begin a serious adjustment as the reality of her body has changed dramatically. The blood pressure difference between her arms and legs is already within the range expected. Her blood pressure in a resting state is already close to normal. It is when she is awake and active that it is still a little high. She is taking medication to help her adjust. Itzel will quickly learn to accept that having a heart beating gently and strongly is vastly superior to one that has been pounding.

Dr. Rothman confirmed that Itzel was running a tremendous risk of an aneurism. That threat along with a stroke, heart attack would have grown with each passing year. Any complications from diet, a cold, flu or other disease could have proved fatal. Dr. Rothman believes that we caught this in time, without Itzel incurring major permanent damage.

Below I will post some pictures that say it all...

Commitment gives its sincere thanks to Dr. Abraham Rothman for performing this operation. His entire staff was gracious, caring, helpful and informative throughout the process. We also wish to thank Dra. Azucena Murillo from Hospital Del Prado. She did the initial examination that revealed that Itzel could be saved. She and Dr. Rothman have worked together often.

Commitment also thanks all the donors who have come forward to help this lovely girl. Your thoughts and prayers have helped make a difference. A special thanks to Antonio Munoz for asking Commitment to try and help.

Special wishes for a happy and fulfilling life to Itzel, her mother Isela and her entire family. Isela needs to be commended. She never gave up hope, she persisted. She didn’t give up and when we found about Itzel, neither could we.

On behalf of Commitment, Thanks to all of you.

[Edited on 11-19-2010 by a-commit]
a-commit

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 12:03 AM
A wonderful girl alone with her thoughts before the operation.

Wonderful girl before.jpg - 48kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 12:05 AM

Thank you for the update... a wonderful report!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

a-commit

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 12:05 AM
Izel's aorta before the operation.

Aorta before.jpg - 46kB
a-commit

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 12:07 AM
Itzel's aorta after the operation

Aorta after.jpg - 44kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 12:08 AM

wow... thanks Andy!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

a-commit

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 12:10 AM
The location of the stent.

Stent location.jpg - 47kB
a-commit

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 12:13 AM
A moment awake... the monitor tells the story.

[Edited on 11-19-2010 by a-commit]

Monitor telling story.jpg - 50kB
bigjohn
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 12:27 AM

Those are some incredible pictures! :yes:
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 12:57 AM
Update... and hold that tought...

Itzel, her mom and myself are still in Las Vegas, we are to leave tomorrow Friday at 1:00pm to San Diego.

Itzel is recovering very well... in order to put the ballon and stent into her aorta, Dr. Rothman needed to insert them through the femoral artery, which left a circular wound about 4-5 mm in diameter in Itzel's right thigh. Because of the location and size, no stitches were able to be done, so that wound needs to close and heal by itself.

According to the doctor, the total recovery for that wound should be between 7-10 days... in the meantime she needs to take it easy, not much walking nor sudden movements.

This is why we decided to stay a couple of days after the operation, so Itzel's body could get a little bit stronger for the trip.

Regarding Disneyland... that is a wonderful idea...!!!... Today I asked Itzel if she would like to go and she just looked and me and said: What is Disneyland?... When I explained that is where the Princesses have their home, she was more than excited to go... you are all right... every kid should go to Disneyland at least once.

I would suggest to hold that wonderful thought and give her that beautiful gift on her next trip to San Diego, which should be for the fundraising and dinner event on her honor, in December.

That will give Itzel the opportunity to fully heal and adjust to her "new heart", so she can fully enjoy Disney... I will jump in with the transportation to and back from Disney.

Now, I will leave you with you a conversation that happened earlier today:

Itzel: Mommy...

Itzel's Mom: What is it baby?

Itzel: my feet hurt!!!

Itzel's Mom: Which one?

Itzel: both mommy.

Itzel's Mom: Antonio!!!... there might be something wrong... Itzel is complaining about her feet.

Antonio: Which feet does it hurt Itzel?

Itzel: Both Antonio...

Antonio: mmmm... What do you mean by pain?... What do you feel?

Itzel: in the tip of my fingers I feel wosshh... wosshh... wosshh...

Antonio: What do you mean wossh... wosshh... like something beating?...

Itzel: Yes!!!... like something is beating!!!

Antonio: Sweetheart... that is your heart pumping blood to your feet... it is normal...

Itzel: It is?... I never felt it before.

Antonio: Yes... your heart is cured now and is sending more strength to your legs and feet.

Itzel: Does this mean that now I will be able to play along with my friends?

Antonio: yes... you will be able to play all you want with your friends now.

Itzel: Does this means I will also be able to eat chocolate cake now?

Antonio: Yes honey... you can eat chocolate cake also.

Itzel: ooooohhhh.... thank you Antonio... Thank you for curing me!!! (then she gave me a huge hug and a kiss).

:)

[Edited on 11-19-2010 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 02:36 AM

What a bunch of wonderful people I have the privilege of "nomading" with on this site. God bless you all....even the non-believers.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:38 AM

well that did it for me,, I started to cry.

again count us in for disney land
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus

Itzel: Does this mean that now I will be able to play along with my friends?

Antonio: yes... you will be able to play all you want with your friends now.

Itzel: Does this means I will also be able to eat chocolate cake now?

Antonio: Yes honey... you can eat chocolate cake also.

Itzel: ooooohhhh.... thank you Antonio... Thank you for curing me!!! (then she gave me a huge hug and a kiss).

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I take offense to the suggestion that we have been slack in our efforts to assist in the success of this operation.
Those who could...did. Those who couldn't give the green, gave their best thoughts. That means a lot.
Dennis, you - and others Nomads - have been fantastic in your support here, monetarily and/or through their positive thoughts and prayers. Since it can't be said enough, I'll say it again: FANTASTIC!

While you've perceived Ken's note in a not-so-supportive way, I on the other hand take it as a positive note reminding people there's still a reason to get involved if/where/when possible. Written communication can be so challenging to interpret sometimes.

Hope you're doing well sir. I enjoy and appreciate your recent positive "vibe".

:biggrin:

-
Doug

[Edited on 11-19-2010 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
well that did it for me,, I started to cry.

:yes::yes: that conversation did it!

So great to hear all the wonderful news. And Antonio, to stick by Itzel and Mom throughout all of this, you truly are her guardian angel.

[Edited on 11-19-2010 by DianaT]

ckiefer
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:07 AM

It got me here:
"What's Disneyland?"

Nothing like a good cry first thing in the morning to cleanse the soul....

We were relieved to hear the operation was a success, but the comprehensive report, dialog and pictures....well that was HUGE bonus!

All I can say is WOW!!! AND Thank you so very much!!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
While you've perceived Ken's note in a not-so-supportive way, I on the other hand take it as a positive note reminding people there's still a reason to get involved if/where/when possible. Written communication can be so challenging to interpret sometimes.

I agree. Sorry, Ken. I shouldn't have fired on you. [actually, it wasn't me. It was the other Dennis]

I see the need to concentrate on the unpaid portion of the bill. I know for a fact that there's still one check in the mail.
We'll just keep plugging away at it.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:40 AM

How wonderful !!! the pictures are incredible, to say the least.

Please give more details on the fundraiser and dinner in December in San diego so we can plan to be there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A miracle just happened. :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:43 AM

Awesome!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 09:51 AM

thanks to all of you Nomadic ones, even DK!

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.