Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: "Collateral" Damage from Another Baja 1000
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-29-2010 at 05:27 PM

Truth and Facts upset folks like ElFaro more than anything... they will resort to name calling when they cannot respond with logic to back up their wild claims.

You would think he would want to be enlightened and see the benefit that more business brings to Mexico. So what if the Pemex station franchise owner makes 10 cents on the dollar or less... It is still enough for him to employ people and stay in business to serve all others. You should like it that government makes far more profit on each gallon sold, just like in the U.S.!?? Grocery stores also have small profit margins... but thankfully it is enough to keep them in business for everyone's benefit!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2010 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Truth and Facts upset folks like ElFaro more than anything... they will resort to name calling when they cannot respond with logic to back up their wild claims.

Can you please point out where El Faro did any name calling?

I don't totally agree with what all he has written, but I can't seem to find any name calling on his part? Or is that just a general statement about the "folks like El Faro" who ever they may be? I am guessing that maybe they are anyone who does not agree with you???

Please clarify.

Thank you

[Edited on 12-30-2010 by DianaT]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2010 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I don't think anything is going to show Elfaro that off road racing is overall a plus for Baja. He has a closed mind and thats it. As they say "it is what it is". I think Bajalou says it best,["Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference"].

Gees, just because he disagrees about off-road racing the name calling starts?

Diana perhaps I should not of used that quote but the fact remains he was given numerous data to show that off road racing did benefit the communities involved and I asked him more that once to talk to the businesses and get their take on it and from his replies he was not going to even consider it. He not once acknowledged that off road racing has any benefit and that the people watching it were near 80% unemployed. He also said that the racers let Vildosila win the last 1000 which is a stupid statement. He said Mexican racers made up only a small part of the racers which is also stupid. He did not know that the 1000 was more often a loop race than a run down south. Frankly the guy doesn't know what he is talking about and gave no credible facts to support his position. So what is one to think?

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2010 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I don't think anything is going to show Elfaro that off road racing is overall a plus for Baja. He has a closed mind and thats it. As they say "it is what it is". I think Bajalou says it best,["Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference"].

Gees, just because he disagrees about off-road racing the name calling starts?

Diana perhaps I should not of used that quote but the fact remains he was given numerous data to show that off road racing did benefit the communities involved and I asked him more that once to talk to the businesses and get their take on it and from his replies he was not going to even consider it. He not once acknowledged that off road racing has any benefit and that the people watching it were near 80% unemployed. He also said that the racers let Vildosila win the last 1000 which is a stupid statement. He said Mexican racers made up only a small part of the racers which is also stupid. He did not know that the 1000 was more often a loop race than a run down south. Frankly the guy doesn't know what he is talking about and gave no credible facts to support his position. So what is one to think?

OK, you obviously very much disagree with him---but I was surprised you used that quote---directed at an individual ---surprised at it coming from you.

Guess I still understand several of his points, but also do understand some of the other side as well. And in the end, it is Mexico and it really is up to them to decided what they want ----

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2010 at 06:42 PM

Diana: I never said he called me any names... I did say that when presented with truth and facts 'usually' (some) liberals can only respond with name calling and throwing out stuff like "you get that from Rush or Beck, etc.".

You see is is a simple matter of Logic vs. Emotion... Conservatives use logic (facts) and (some) liberals use emotion (feelings) to argue their points.

Now, ElFaro has said unkind things before and used this theology I have given, in the past... So his new 'enviromental wacko / anti-business' stuff above is so far playing the same game... I expect name calling to soon follow.

Too bad, you couldn't let this stay between me and him... but, I guess you enjoy the drama? Have a nice evening!:D

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2010 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Diana: I never said he called me any names... I did say that when presented with truth and facts 'usually' (some) liberals can only respond with name calling and throwing out stuff like "you get that from Rush or Beck, etc.".

Where did you post that? I missed that. I only saw this

Quote:

Are the words usually and some there?

No drama, David, just looking for some clarifications for your blanket statements.

Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 12-29-2010 at 07:19 PM

Quote:

You see is is a simple matter of Logic vs. Emotion... Conservatives use logic (facts) and (some) liberals use emotion (feelings) to argue their points.

Hmmppphhh. Should be: SOME Conservatives use logic (facts) and some liberals use emotion...

Too bad some conservatives don't use emotion more often. Nothing wrong with that. It's letting your whole point of view be dominated by one or the other that is troublesome.

Now, Rush and Limbaugh, too bad they use no logic and too much emotion...But, they are just trying to sell airtime, and will say anything to get twits to listen...

Brian
burnrope
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2010 at 07:55 PM

El Faro you're FOS. I'm chagrinned to see that your handle is the same as one of the better Mexican food places in Frisco. Pull your head out of your burro, it's dark in there.
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 12-29-2010 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Where did you post that? I missed that. I only saw this

Quote:

Are the words usually and some there?

No drama, David, just looking for some clarifications for your blanket statements.

Diana is correct. You're "slippin all over the road on this one" David.... Wow, IMHO, an apology would be the responsible and appropriate thing to do, my friend.

BTW: Instead of saying " 'usually' (some) liberals can only respond with name calling . . . " can't you just say "some people...." What you're referring to is a human imperfection that is not limited to one party or political philosophy. I've followed some of these spats you've gotten into when you "respond with name calling and throwing out stuff like" (your quote, amigo) "LIBERALS...." [do this or that].

That belongs in the political / off topic forum. The whole board could be better via a bit more mutual respect....

It is easy to respect like minded folks.... we really show OUR character when we are respectful to folks who have a different opinions or views than we do.

I've been following this post with mixed thoughts and feelings. I'm very sad for the innocent victims ~ and a bit shocked by the racer / driver's initial actions and comments. And I am a racer.... albeit in another form. (My bro. and I have had a vintage Formula V that we've raced with the SOVREN race group at the tracks in Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, etc.) It is open wheel to wheel track racing and there is an incredible community of really fine folks that compete ON the track and help one another off the track... Many of the SOVREN folks would probably hang it up permanently if they were responsible for seriously harming someone innocent like what happened in this unfortunate incident.

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2010 at 10:35 PM

I am sorry djh,

as usually silly me thought it was okay for conservatives to vent here as much as liberals do... :light::biggrin:

Freedom of speech and opinion here is only okay for the left, I guess???:(

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 10:10 AM

Anyone remember the Mexican Road (or Carrera Panamericana) races between 1950 and 1954? After the Mexican section of the Panamerican Highway was completed in 1950, a nine-stage, five-day race across the country was organized by the Mexican government to advertise this feat and to attract international business into Mexico. The race ran almost entirely along the new highway, which crossed the country from north to south the first year and south to north afer that, for a total distance of over 3,300 kilometres (2,100 mi) . Antonio Cornejo, a Pontiac dealer in Mexico City, was the general manager of the event. One of the rules of the race was if you stopped to help anyone, you were automatically disqualified and only the driver/ navigator were alowed to work on their car.

A total of 27 lives had been lost in the five years of the race, most of them bystanders, who would simply line the sides of the road with two-ton vehicles hurtling by them at speeds of up to 130 mph! Lincoln and Ferrari had been the most successful makes. Lincoln had three consecutive one-two finishes, two third places and two fourth places in the stock car class. Ferrari had two wins, two seconds and two thirds.

[Edited on 12-30-2010 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 10:33 AM

Great history Bob... I read about them... I think it sure opened up Mexico as being a destination for American vacationers... the travel trailer crowd flowed into Mexico like water.... and many stayed.

The Mexican 1000 (now Baja 1000) also made Baja known to many many people... perhaps the primary source of publicity for Baja in the 1960's and 70's!

Millions if not billions of dollars have flowed into Mexico thanks to those road races... and compared to bull fighting, probably fewer deaths associated overall.

[Edited on 12-30-2010 by David K]

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 10:49 AM

This thread has drifted waaaay off topic, but I am just going to go with it.

La Carrera is still going strong....it was brought back in 1998.

http://panamrace.com/

Ted Donovan, who has put on the Mexico Travel Expos in the past has participated in La Carrera as part of the Lucha Libre Racing Team. They took it a step further and used the race as a means to raise donated school supplies for Mexican kids: http://www.luchalibreracing.com.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 11:19 AM

Thanks Geoff... there are countless ways that racing... and people who come for the races, have helped Mexico.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
This thread has drifted waaaay off topic, but I am just going to go with it.

La Carrera is still going strong....it was brought back in 1998.

http://panamrace.com/

yep, I am aware of this, but with the rally format and all the overnighters and fiestas it's just not the same. Still great racing though and I love to see those old Studebakers, Hudsons, et al go for it.

Bob Durrell
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 02:19 PM
My Response - Part 1 of ?

Well...I guess its my turn to respond.

You know...when I 1st saw this news article from the UT I thought "What are the Marines doing down in Baja?". As I read on my blood began to boil when the story unfolded how a missionary returning from the labor and sweat of helping build an alcholic rehab center is nearly killed and bled to death by a reckless "pre-runner" wannabe down for cheap thrills of the Baja 1000 race. The title of the article should have been "Missionary Helping Mexicans with Alcohol Disease Nearly Killed by Reckless Baja 1000 Prerunner Thrill Seeker. But the UT choose to spin it the way they did because they slobber all over the Marine presence in San
Diego. As TW said "it is what it is". If it had been a couple archaeologists or biomed students who happened on the accident I doubt it would have been spun the same way. In any event I decided to post the acticle with my accompaning comments and figured I would receive the usual verbal bashing from the Off Road Race Cheerleading squad...namely TW and David K, et. al. fine.

Now I asked a question about the Baja 1000 race not going into Baja Sur in 2011 and TW explained that SCORE alternates every year a northern loop route and a full peninsula route. And TW said the reason is the extra expense of support for the full peninsula route and the racers saving money. But this begs a quesion...if the Baja 1000 brings in all this money every year as you claim
and its good for the Baja economy as you say and these racers don't mind spending $250 grand plus for these racing machines and sponsors are involved then they shouldn't have a problem racing the entire peninsula every time! In fact if these kind of races are so profitable as David K and you proclaim and the Mexicans are benefitting from all this financial windfall then why don't they have these trans-peninsular races every month...or bi-weekly?

Now I want to comment about your statements TW to DianaT that you posted 12-30-2010 at 12:3 PM:

You said to DianaT that I was "given numerous data to show that off road racing did benefit the communities involved". I
carefully perused your posts on this issue and all I could come up with is to "check with some local hotels, restaurants, bars, they all fill up...can't get a room...etc. etc. then you said "I asked him more that once to talk to the businesses and get their take on it and from his replies he was not going to even consider it". Really ? I was not going to even consider it ? No...I was not going to answer you on YOUR timetable but I will answer now.

About three years ago my brother and I were returning from a fishing trip in SQ and needed a place to stay in Ensenada. We swung into Estero Beach Hotel Resort for two nights. Little did we know that the Baja 1000 was happening. The campground was maxed out with 80-100 toy haulers, vehicles, entire race teams, helicopters, etc. We were placed next to the games room by the boat launch road. The whole experience was a real "eye opener" for me and altered a lot of my previous mind set of what was going on
there. When we went down to the hotel and restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner they were virtually empty on the days that the race teams and support crews were around. However in the campground there were toy haulers specifically set up to handle the food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for everyone. One of the 1st things I noticed was how much the race teams were totally self-contained in everything...they really didn't need local Mexican goods and services for anything. And I'm not bagging on them if they choose to go this route while in Baja. When I went to the front office to register and pay for the two nights there
behind the counter was one of the owners of the Resort. I don't know his first name but it was the tall big Mr. Novelo. I
introduced myself in Spanish out of respect. After some greeting exchanges I asked him point blank with all the people in the campground if they made much money for all the effort they put in and he said "No". I asked him if the race brought in alot of money to Ensenada and he said "No". I asked him how much longer the race would go on each year and he deferred to the local government for that answer. So here is the testimony of local Ensenada heavy hitters who own hotels, bars, restaurants, campgrounds telling me this. As you said TW...what am I to think?

Another quote from TW..."He not once acknowledged that off road racing has any benefit and that the people watching it were near 80% unemployed". I'll acknowledge it now...but I think there is a HUGE difference between "close course" off-road racing and "open country" off-road racing.

If the Mexicans want to have "close course" racing...I'm all for it 100%...I'll pay to go see it and spend money at the events at local Mexican establishments. The Mexican own it, sponsor it, sanction it, and invite Gringos to participate. Absolutly no problem here...its what they want and if its a growing enterprise great.

For "open counrtry" racing...such as the B1000 and the B500...again...if the Mexicans own, sanction, fund, support, promote, and regulate these kind of races...if the awards are presented in Mexico by Mexicans for Mexicans...AND the Gringos are invited to participate then I'm for it 100%...I will go see it and spend money at the events at local Mexican establishments. But as it is now the events are controlled by the Americans.

Now for the comment you made that "He also said that the racers let Vildosila win the last 1000 which is a stupid statement"...all right maybe a stupid statement..but I'll leave you with this:

I heard last year on a radio off-road talk show that the racers would be placing a decal on their vehicles that read - "Thank you Baja for allowing us to race here." or something similiar. Now I hope it was in Spanish. However I checked some of the truck photos from 2009 and 2010 and couldn't find any with the decal. And if you read the news article from the Irvine awards banquet for the Baja 1000 it says "Among the special awards presented by SCORE and Sal Fish included a very special appreciation recognition to the government of Baja California for all of its assistance to helping SCORE produce three highly successful races in Baja California, Mexico, in 2010. Receiving the award were four prominent Mexican government officials—Enrique Pelayo Torres, Mayor of Ensenada, Juan Tintos Funcke, the Secretary of Tourism of Baja California, Marco Antonio Novelo, Secretary of Tourism of the County of Ensenada and Rodolfo Talamantes, Director of Public Relations of the County of Ensenada." And you have the fact that suddenly after 43 years a Mexican national wins the B1000. So when I look at all these taken together I ask myself "Is SCORE experiencing some PR 'blowback' from disgruntled local Mexicans that this is a Gringos only race and what do we as Mexicans get out of it?" I don't know but the comments from poster rob who has his "feet on the ground' in rural Baja are very telling and none of you challanged him.

Enough for now...next up...your labelling me an idiot and David K labelling me a liar, socialist, "name calling soon to follow" kind of guy and I'll answer David K's question of how I help Baja...what I have been involved in for the last 35+ years doesn't seem to even enter his mind based on his list since it looks like he is mostly through answering my questions with cliches.
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 03:44 PM

Score Racing economic impact
Quote:

“Our three SCORE Baja races annually produce over $30 million in overall economic impact for Mexico and we are so well-received down there by the government and the fans it’s a real treat for SCORE and our racers and we looking forward to racing in Baja every year.”

Quote:

"Additional sponsors in Baja are the Secretary of Tourism of Baja California and ProTurismo de Ensenada.

The race [San Felipe 250] annually provides a greater economic impact to San Felipe than the popular month-long 'Spring Break'.

Outdoor channel interview

It is absolutely silly to think that asking a few local merchants gives any validity to your argument.

Tens of thousands of racers, support crew and fans bring machines from distant locations, and NBC gives the race network air and publicity that isnt about drug wars, and you can't see anything positive in this? The locals don't make any money?
C'mon..if you just say the acident was a tragedy, and you dont care for the environmental impact of desert racing, you could gain back some credibilty.

Fly low, land on roads.
PT9Baja

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 05:53 PM

ELFaro The racer involved and it was a racer has spent many days agonizing over his mistake. He has also visited the victim of the crash and his family and taken full responsibility . Your one time experience of an empty restaurant is very unusual. I have been in many full to capacity during the Score races . Try and get a table at the San Nicolas in Ensenada race week. The locals do make more money during a race than not. You have still ignored the fact that off road racing is deeply ingrained in Baja and most of the citizens of Baja know of the sport and many are long term fans. The American owned Score events are only 3 of the dozens of off road races in Baja. Look up the Mexican Code racing association. They run races in Baja Norte. There are 4 other Mexican racing associations in Baja . A large percentage of the people of Baja want the races to continue. Its tragic that there are accidents. Its always been a part of motor sports. I have repeated myself because you seem to be thinking that somehow theres an evil gringo off road monster taking advantage of the people of Baja and nothing could be further from the truth. Most of the Mexican people in Baja want the racing. I have spent too many hours watching races with Mexicans, talking racing with Mexicans, giving rides in my pre run car to Mexican families, helping Mexican race teams ,standing in line for a taco etc etc to not know Mexicans want the races. Times are bad but the off road racing in Baja is thought of as a good thing by most of the people and they look forward to these events. You have the choice to stay away from it and let the people enjoy what to most is a good thing.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2010 at 06:20 PM

ElFaro: Fact Check:

The Mexicans DID run the Baja 1000 (ONE YEAR)... it was 1973. They kicked NORRA out of running the race (NORRA created), and set up the 'Baja Sports Committee'... Changed the race's name from 'Mexican 1000' to 'Baja Mil' (1000).

It was a financial disaster of corruption and money vanishing... Racers that finished 'in-the-money' got none... and left La Paz with a set of Samsonite luggage as their prize!!! The Mexican orginization tried running the Baja 500 the following June... Almost nobody came.. big surprise!

The government of Mexico/ Baja California came to Mickey Thompson, who had recently created SCORE to promote Short Course Off Road Events (S.C.O.R.E.) and begged him to take over Baja racing... The financial HARDSHIP on the people of Baja California would be too great without off road racing. It was already (in early 1970's) seen as a gold mine for Mexico's Baja Peninsula.

The SCORE BAJA INTERNACIONAL was born in July of 1974... and was such a success, has run every year since... the name was changed to Baja 500 (and run in the traditional June 500 slot) after some years waiting for NORRA (who still owned that name, as they also created the Baja 500) to let go of the legal battle over it.

There was no 1000 in 1974, as Mickey didn't have enough time to prepare for such a big event. The first SCORE Baja 1000 was in 1975, and for the first time was a loop in the northern half starting and finishing in Ensenada.

1979 was the first year SCORE ran the 1000 to La Paz. The La Paz (or Cabo) finish point has alternated every 2nd to 4th year because of the overall costs so great for racers (AND SUPPORT PERSONAL)... There would be so little extra available to help the locals the way racers want to.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2011 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElFaro
Well...I guess its my turn to respond.

[["Now I asked a question about the Baja 1000 race not going into Baja Sur in 2011 and TW explained that SCORE alternates every year a northern loop route and a full peninsula route. And TW said the reason is the extra expense of support for the full peninsula route and the racers saving money. But this begs a quesion...if the Baja 1000 brings in all this money every year as you claim
and its good for the Baja economy as you say and these racers don't mind spending $250 grand plus for these racing machines and sponsors are involved then they shouldn't have a problem racing the entire peninsula every time! In fact if these kind of races are so profitable as David K and you proclaim and the Mexicans are benefitting from all this financial windfall then why don't they have these trans-peninsular races every month...or bi-weekly?"]]

It's not a problem for the bigger car teams but for the smaller car teams and most of the bike/ATV teams. The majority of races and chase teams don't have the time off or the money to do a full run every year. You may not believe this but the racers don't make any money on off-road racing be it in Baja ot the US. The run to La Paz or Cabo takes 20 or more pits these are volunteers not paid workers. A loop takes 10-12 pits with some double pits. BFG uses only 3 or 4 pit tractor-trailers on a loop but as many as 8 on a long run. SCORE could run the race to La Paz every year and La Paz would love it but the entries would drop to half or more. This last race was the first time the team I chase for was able to get it all together to run to La Paz in over 6 years. And it is a mixed team of Americans and Mexicans. Expenses and time off work were always the problems.

[["About three years ago my brother and I were returning from a fishing trip in SQ and needed a place to stay in Ensenada. We swung into Estero Beach Hotel Resort for two nights. Little did we know that the Baja 1000 was happening. The campground was maxed out with 80-100 toy haulers, vehicles, entire race teams, helicopters, etc. We were placed next to the games room by the boat launch road. The whole experience was a real "eye opener" for me and altered a lot of my previous mind set of what was going on there. When we went down to the hotel and restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner they were virtually empty on the days that the race teams and support crews were around. However in the campground there were toy haulers specifically set up to handle the food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for everyone. One of the 1st things I noticed was how much the race teams were totally self-contained in everything...they really didn't need local Mexican goods and services for anything. And I'm not bagging on them if they choose to go this route while in Baja. When I went to the front office to register and pay for the two nights there
behind the counter was one of the owners of the Resort. I don't know his first name but it was the tall big Mr. Novelo. I
introduced myself in Spanish out of respect. After some greeting exchanges I asked him point blank with all the people in the campground if they made much money for all the effort they put in and he said "No". I asked him if the race brought in alot of money to Ensenada and he said "No". I asked him how much longer the race would go on each year and he deferred to the local government for that answer. So here is the testimony of local Ensenada heavy hitters who own hotels, bars, restaurants, campgrounds telling me this. As you said TW...what am I to think?']]

I would have thought the same. But I would not have limited myself to one resort south of town. I would have asked at several hotels, resturants and convient stores like 7/11 and Oxxo and get their take.

[["Another quote from TW..."He not once acknowledged that off road racing has any benefit and that the people watching it were near 80% unemployed". I'll acknowledge it now...but I think there is a HUGE difference between "close course" off-road racing and "open country" off-road racing.

If the Mexicans want to have "close course" racing...I'm all for it 100%...I'll pay to go see it and spend money at the events at local Mexican establishments. The Mexican own it, sponsor it, sanction it, and invite Gringos to participate. Absolutly no problem here...its what they want and if its a growing enterprise great.

For "open counrtry" racing...such as the B1000 and the B500...again...if the Mexicans own, sanction, fund, support, promote, and regulate these kind of races...if the awards are presented in Mexico by Mexicans for Mexicans...AND the Gringos are invited to participate then I'm for it 100%...I will go see it and spend money at the events at local Mexican establishments. But as it is now the events are controlled by the Americans."]]

What does that have to do with the unemployment rate? If you are talking circle track type racing I don't know of any in Baja except motorcross, MX GP and supercross.

CODE is probably the largest Mexican run racing promoter. While their events are excellent and Americans do race them, they are nowhere near as popular as the Baja 500 and 1000, even with the Mexican racers.

[["Now for the comment you made that "He also said that the racers let Vildosila win the last 1000 which is a stupid statement"...all right maybe a stupid statement..but I'll leave you with this:

I heard last year on a radio off-road talk show that the racers would be placing a decal on their vehicles that read - "Thank you Baja for allowing us to race here." or something similiar. Now I hope it was in Spanish. However I checked some of the truck photos from 2009 and 2010 and couldn't find any with the decal. And if you read the news article from the Irvine awards banquet for the Baja 1000 it says "Among the special awards presented by SCORE and Sal Fish included a very special appreciation recognition to the government of Baja California for all of its assistance to helping SCORE produce three highly successful races in Baja California, Mexico, in 2010. Receiving the award were four prominent Mexican government officials—Enrique Pelayo Torres, Mayor of Ensenada, Juan Tintos Funcke, the Secretary of Tourism of Baja California, Marco Antonio Novelo, Secretary of Tourism of the County of Ensenada and Rodolfo Talamantes, Director of Public Relations of the County of Ensenada." And you have the fact that suddenly after 43 years a Mexican national wins the B1000. So when I look at all these taken together I ask myself "Is SCORE experiencing some PR 'blowback' from disgruntled local Mexicans that this is a Gringos only race and what do we as Mexicans get out of it?" I don't know but the comments from poster rob who has his "feet on the ground' in rural Baja are very telling and none of you challanged him."]]

I don't understand what you are trying to connect here. Because there was not sticker on the cars saying thank you Baja they let Vildosila win!!!!

Mexican officals have always been introduced and thanked at the rider/driver meeting before the race, they are at the start line. Also thanks are given at the awards after the race and often the drivers and riders say a special thanks to the people of Baja and the government for letting us race there.

[["Enough for now...next up...your labelling me an idiot "]]

I should not have called you an idiot, ignorant yes, but idiot no. I apologize.

If the SCORE races are not good for Baja then why does the government keep giving them permission to race? Why does Ensenada keep signing a contract fopr the race to be there?

I would like to add that I emailed the racer that caused the accident and stated my opinion on the matter. He was wrong and he was not following SCORE guidlines for pre-running. Frankly I would be happy if they stopped the pre-running out of Ensenada. If it is well marked it is not necesary and perhaps accidents like this one would be avoided.

[Edited on 1-2-2011 by TW]
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.