Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Input wanted on commuter plane from LA-GN
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 03:18 PM
Input wanted on commuter plane from LA-GN

I have been communicating with the owner of a new airline wanting to expand service into central baja. He wants to put a 10 seater commuter plane route from LA to Guerrero Negro. We have a meeting next week to discuss this and I thought it would be interesting to get some feedback here...to get a feel for if people would use it.

There are several destinations that could be accessed by a flight from LA to GN like BOLA, Rosalillita, GN, coastal villages like Asuncion, Tortugas, La Bocana/Abreojos, and San Ignacio, Mulege, Chivato, Sta.Rosalia too. This would be particularly attractive to home owners or guests who dont need to pack alot of stuff with them or when someone needs to get back to the states quick. Looks like the prices will be competitive too. I would appreciate hearing from folks who may use this service...have a nice weekend amigos.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 03:22 PM

competitive relative to what?

it certainly would be a great way to jam down for some fast fishing and return with a load of filets and memories.......

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 03:39 PM

prices are what we will be discussing at our little pow wow for sure...success or failure will be determined by the ticket price.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 03:51 PM

Will the airstrips at all those towns be capable of handling a 10-seater???

I am sure a few pilots will jump in here soon.....

I just want to find a pilot with a small plane to fly me around for a few hours between GN and Loreto, zigzagging across the peninsula to see if "I can get there from here". :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 03:53 PM

Find out if my shortboard will fit. It's 10'1". :saint::biggrin::dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 04:03 PM

We would have used that flight this winter for sure and would certainly consider it in the future, hope it works out.

Iflyfish
E.D.R.Rick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 04:17 PM

What about San Felipe?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 04:21 PM

My dos pesos.

Knowing how relatively small the villages are in the area, and the lack of first class* accommodations (no disrespect, Shari.. read on), I have distant relatives who are well-heeled, who have taken to visiting the whales at San Ignacio, and have had friends, also well-heeled, join them on subsequent trips. They engage some outfitter in San Diego to fly them to the strip by the lagoon, and stay at one of the places that offer "primitive" accommodations, food and tours on the pangas.

I'm told that these folks pay between $2200 and $2500 per person for this. R/T flight and a couple of nights of accommodations at the lagoon.

What I'm getting at here is that I'd guess that overhead for anyone attempting to initiate service between LAX and GN, will result in the need to charge an amount per person that may just exclude the typical Asuncion afficionado.

Hey! I may just be way off base in my assumptions, but I thought I'd throw it out for comment.

* typical resort style
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 04:22 PM

There would, of course be a lot to consider and I would assume that if someone is at the "talking to the locals" stage that they have already done some homework and already have most of the technical questions answered but I'll throw out a few just for S&G's.

The first thing I would question is weather they can get insurance coverage to fly into unimproved, unmaintained (read dirt) strips and do they have a capable plane (Cessna Caravan) to do it. I seem to recall you saying something about a twin Commander, it would work but not the best choice for this duty.

GN isn't general aviation friendly, no fuel or services are available there....unless they have made other arrangements.

How much is it going to cost me to get from GN to Asuncion or any of those other destinations if it turns out that they can't actually fly there?

How am I going to get to LA from wherever I live and how much will that cost and where am I going to park my car?

If I could leave from an LA airport and fly directly, or with one stop to Asuncion, Abreojos etc. it might make sense but it still sounds like a full day's trip from San Diego......kinda like driving is.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be economically viable I'm just thinking out loud.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 04:40 PM

If I read Shari's post correctly, they are only going to land in GN, not every dirt strip with this 10 seater. Maybe later if this works out first?

I might use the servise, but then I have to get to La Bocana, and would not have a car while there, and how do I launch the boat? I don't know.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 04:47 PM

thanks for thinking out loud...these are the kind of things I was hoping for. Sorry I wasnt clearer but it sounded like there is a 7 passenger plane that will fly a route to this area and hit tortugas, cedros and GN from Ensenada...this route caters to business folks from GN, the fishing coops, some tourists etc. they will hop over here on a 20 minute flight from Tortugas if there are 3 passengers or more.

But Vincente was also thinking about the viability of a direct flight from LA-GN on a bigger 10 passenger plane. Who knows if it would meet up with the plane that will service the smaller villages.

If this flight materializes, there would most likely be a carrier van to bring folks to the coast or individual businesses would pick up their clients for a fee.

People like my bro who fly into LA from Canada would be much happier to fly to GN than into Loreto and have to stay the night, either take the bus or rent a car to get all the way here. I will ask Vicente about parking spots at the LA end and how much space is available for surf boards, dive & fishing gear and fish coolers . As more people have second homes in central baja, I can see more people using this service if it isnt exhorbitantly priced. We do have many clients who fly into Loreto to get here and it is just so far away.

One benefit is that it is a way to avoid the gauntlet...(perceived)danger zones...gets ya here quicker and not so road weary either. Believe it or not we are not not everyone are paupers here in Asuncion and some people have more money than time and would be glad to fly in. I get alot of requests about how to fly here. Until now...a charter was required and there are never enough people wanting to fly on the same days to make it cost effective.

[Edited on 5-27-2011 by shari]

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 04:51 PM

yes those whale packages are pretty pricey and if there was a sched flight, it sure would be cheaper to fly to GN and stay in a nice hotel and see whales that way...and during whale season, they may put more flights on.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 04:56 PM

Would they stop in San Diego? That seems like a good place to pick up passengers, and the last time we checked, which was a while ago, long-term parking was cheaper.

Are they talking about LAX or one of the many other airports in that area?

[Edited on 5-27-2011 by DianaT]

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 05:01 PM

no stop in san diego and I will ask if it is LAX.

Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 05:15 PM

If you are talking about scheduled service acrossed the border, you will have an enormous regulatory burden to deal with. On demand and seasonal charter have been operating in the area for some time, mostly whale season, crossing the border was left up to passengers though. There are also a few "private" companies that operate in some grey areas. If you would like to discuss specifics, you can email me, and I can give you more detail. I also have some growing airline companies that are already operating in Baja that I can put you in touch with.
-suerte,
cap

Fly low, land on roads.
O.G.
Nomad

Mood: waiting for the green flash

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 05:28 PM

OMG! I try to avoid LAX at all costs. Can the service originate at some secondary airport in the general L.A. area?
1bobo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 05:34 PM

With the 6000' paved runway at San Bruno that gets very little traffic (Guaymas only, I believe), and the demand the new mining operation is sure to create, you might consider looking into that location. Not too far to Viscaino.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 05:37 PM

I will ask them about where the plane will depart from...thanks everyone for your input...getting a good list of questions and concerns together for the meeting.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by O.G.
OMG! I try to avoid LAX at all costs. Can the service originate at some secondary airport in the general L.A. area?

the BEST thing about LA is getting through it on the way to anywhere else.....

:light::P:lol:

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 05:43 PM

This guy could fill his planes if he did LA or better, Orange County to Loreto, or San Diego-Loreto or better yet, Carlsbad-Loreto. There are so many benefits to using a small charter over a large airline now. You know how to contact me, can you put this guy in contact with me or give me the name of his service? I'm dead serious.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.