Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Cuevota at Las Cuevitas
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 10:48 AM
La Cuevota at Las Cuevitas

For some time now, I've been meaning to post a thread on a place I consider an interesting, easily-reached side trip along the road through the old southern mining district in Baja's Cape Region. With Soulpatch and family touring the region, I've finally found my motivation. Hopefully, you folks took the Todos Santos road to Los Cabos today and would want to see the other way back on the return trip to La Paz tomorrow (if not, oh well, maybe next time).

As one heads north out of Los Cabos and reaches the turn-off for Santiago (well marked, to the left), the road is crossing a high plateau and quickly reaches a series of small hills. Shortly after the hills, a nice view of the convergence of several arroyos can be seen off to the left.
A closer look will reveal the highway bridge crossing the principal arroyo ahead. If one has seen the bridge, they have also, no doubt, noticed the large cave on the right side of the arroyo. That is the destination of this side trip. Plan ahead and bring a lunch and refreshments.

The road soon begins to descend in a series of curves before it reaches the community of Las Cuevitas (The Little Caves). By now, of course, we've all slowed down, so exiting the highway at the beginning of the long bridge ahead is no problem. Once the exit joins the road heading off to La Ribera, cross into the arroyo and head up stream, following the dirt road under the highway bridge. For those in two-wheel drive rides, one nice aspect of the trip is that it's up the arroyo, so if you get stuck, you should be able to back on down to better ground and decide if you want to try again, walk, or abandon the idea.

Around a quarter-mile (probably less), the road abruptly heads off to the left and before you know it, you're in front of a spectacular cave. In the winter (at least), there are bats in the very back. I've included some photos to entice visitors.

Arriving at the cave(s).

Note the honeycombs on wall above truck

Both caves can have bats sleeping, so try to keep quiet

Looking back out to the arroyo, towards Santiago. The highway is on top of the mesa, center of the photo.

Honey for the taking, bring a long ladder

[Edited on 6-7-2011 by Bajatripper]
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 02:01 PM

Have seen that cave from the downgrade on the highway just as described. Decided the last time through that the next time through we would remember to leave a little earlier and go exploring. Thanks for the directions. This side trip is DEFINATELY on the to-do list.
Bajalerita

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 08:14 PM

Truly a sight to see. A great place to have a picnic, as well as sight the bats :)

Last night I layed on my bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself; where the heck is the ceiling?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.