Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Chapala to Coco's
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 06:30 PM

David, you have never understood that with today's technology it is very easy to overexpose spots and in doing so provide the means for their change. For anybody to promote a remote spot without care as to the long term affects is wrong (IMHO). Some of us don't believe exposure from us is what is best for the locals. If somebody wants to use the internet to promote their business fine. They live there and will live with the outcome.

For the wanderer to shrike-out with a map and a few notes on a napkin, get stuck, worry if they made the right choice, and find the grail. That is the ADVENTURE. David, you've done this.

By exposing remote places it minimizes the wonder of the discovery. As the wanderer pulls up to the spot they have seen in photos, having not made any wrong turns, they are less impressed but happy for the safe trip. Most folks will not venture out without a guide and you fill that roll on this board for many. We all need a place to shine and this is yours.

Now that part of your remote Baja is being changed you don't like it as much. I'm with you on not liking the change, just laughing at the irony.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 10:45 AM

Yup... I see what you're saying... however what I have seen is that bad roads and 4WD needed still keeps a place unpopulated and naturally beautiful. Case in point, Mission Santa Maria, and the Seven Sisters (northern section) has been mapped and written about for over 50 years, and it still looks the same. My favorite beach camp area, Shell Island... no matter how much I show it here, it is still as beautiful and empty as it was when I first camped there in 1978.... What do these three areas have in common? They require or are best reached with a four wheel drive.

Until 1987, Gonzaga Bay was only reached by airplane, four wheel drive, or sturdy truck or dune buggy... and it was almost unchanged. By 2000, a motel was built then a Pemex station... but the graded road finished in '87 wasn't maintained so things didn't grow too much for the next 25 years. Now, I guarantee you this paved highway will make a big change there. Only the new (last night) likelihood of 4 more years of a depressed American economy will help keep big development form doing damage soon.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 02:02 PM

I understand that Baja is changing, I miss the adventure it had to offer. Over the last 30 years I have seen remote sites become more and more poplar. A spot that was unique or had something to offer becomes crowed. A dirt road is put in, a fence, a house, those of us that enjoyed a spot are excluded. I can name spots all over the coast that have become restricted. Places you could set up camp and not see another soul for days. Now, we have pictures and updates on grounded sailboat, on what was a remote beach.
The more people that show up the better the roads become, equals 4x no longer needed.

Most the roads on the pacific are going to a fish camp and assessable by 2-wheel drive. The Sisters are much more crowed now then in the past, packed on a good swell. A lot of the crowd is because of the Internet. Guys that have read about spots and are looking for a venture, pack up and go. I have spent a lot of hours helping these clowns out, knowing they will post about it and next year it will be that much more crowed.

David, I hope access to your little island never gets denied or somebody thinks it needs a bar/house/bathroom/improvement, cause when it happens it sucks.

Change is coming I don’t have to promote or support it. I believe that posting it on a board that gets 1000s hits per month is doing both. I know this will not change your view, just ironic that it’s a little closer to home.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 05:16 PM
no baddies 'til thr road was paved ~8^)

Quote:
Quote:
[ and none of you liked it when other parts of Baja got new demographics!

Yup. There goes the neighborhood. As hwy 1 was paved, Every community ruined by them darn Mesicans

It was the Mesikins that told me that story!!Text
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I'll be glad when it is done. Provides an alternative (and shorter for Arizona) route for us southern Baja dwellers....without the punishing road.

Agreed, I can't wait til I bring all of our Zoni friends down for snorkeling and fishing and be able to go back to my San Felipe house
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I'll be glad when it is done. Provides an alternative (and shorter for Arizona) route for us southern Baja dwellers....without the punishing road.

Agreed, I can't wait til I bring all of our Zoni friends down for snorkeling and fishing and be able to go back to my San Felipe house

You see, there goes the neighborhood! :lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

coloradoboardheads

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 04:07 PM

It will not be the experience it now is when paved...sigh!

On that note...I am travelling Mexicali, thru Gonzaga, Chapala and on to La Ventana in early December. Last time I drove it was last January. Any info on the progress of the (ugh) paving and the road out to Chapala?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 05:19 PM

The last report posted here said the pavement still ended 10 miles north of Papa Fernandez' driveway... but was graded smooth. They are building a huge bridge for the big arroyo just before Papa Fernandez' (33 miles south of the Puertecitos fork).

The grading south to Coco's is washboardy, and from Coco's to Chapala, is pretty rocky... no recent grader work... go slow, save the tires!

[Edited on 11-9-2012 by David K]

coloradoboardheads

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 05:34 PM

I did see a report, dated Oct. 12. I was wondering if any significant damage from the hurricane that I should be aware of.

I drive a suspension modified Tundra, so I am not real concerned, but thought I should check.

Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 07:34 PM

ElComandateLoco just posted he passed through on Nov.4 in the Coco Battery thread by TW.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 01:19 PM

There appears to be a short detour just north of the military checkpoint.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
There appears to be a short detour just north of the military checkpoint.

I think that is to go around where they are building the big bridge, just north of Papa Fernandez' road.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.