BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: San Francisquito
kilo

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 07:14 AM

You definitely can drive from the road to the beach.

Quote:

I love this place. One of my bucket list events is to launch outta BOLA and take the Grady down to Beto's place. Does anyone know if you can sstill drive to thru the "resort's" north access road to the beach?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
If anyone knows Beto's email address please forward it to me. We have much to talk about. I am eternally grateful to him for pulling that treble hook out of my thumb the summer before last.

betolucero2003@yahoo.com.mx

Thanks a bunch.

BTW, my son does a great imitation of 'Beto talk'. In case you want to hear it. Just sayin .....
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 09:51 AM

My first trip to PSF was in the late 90's while trying to find Malcolm Smiths trail south. Charry was running the place and when we arrived she asked what we wanted for dinner. The choices were Carne Asada, Yellowtail, Machaca, Pollo, Shrimp, and of course Lobster. We ended up staying a couple days while trying to find the trail. Over the years of this being a favorite destination, and finding and completing the trail, I have watched the place decline. Last years dinner menu was fish or Machaca. However there is still something about riding up to this place, grabbing a cold beer and sitting on that beach. Oh and 5 bucs a head for a cot under the non-walled palapas, with cold shower aint bad.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 09:54 AM

Is Beto the guy with all the boats and trailers and concrete block shop on the cove with the dock?
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
thats what i am thinking,, tweeking,

Hey sarge....are you thinking AND tweeking?:lol:

yes on my morning coffee :lol::lol::lol:
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by honda tom
My first trip to PSF was in the late 90's while trying to find Malcolm Smiths trail south. ...

Tom,
I was talking with Bill Nichols a few years ago at BoLA and was referring to this trail as the Malcolm Smith Trail and he nearly blew a gasket.....apparently Bill turned Malcolm onto it...:o

Bragger's Rights.....

It's generally known as the No Wimps Trail for some of us....Lizard Lady has it in her stuff.....

Don't believe everything you think....
kilo

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Oh and 5 bucs a head for a cot under the non-walled palapas, with cold shower aint bad.

That option was not given to us. It was either camping or $20 a head for sleeping in the cabanas with drafty, plastic sheets covering the doors and windows but we settled for $40 for 3 people (still a ripoff but it was nighttime, raining and muddy and we were desperate).
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 07:04 PM

Last time I was there (2008) it was $45 per night for a palapa. The doors had blown off many years earlier in a storm and they never had any windows.
The showers tried to be warm and were not too bad in May.
We certainly didn't go there for the accommodations but rather the isolation and we enjoyed it for what it was.

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by Stickers]

PSF 0018.jpg - 44kB
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kilo
Quote:
Oh and 5 bucs a head for a cot under the non-walled palapas, with cold shower aint bad.

That option was not given to us. It was either camping or $20 a head for sleeping in the cabanas with drafty, plastic sheets covering the doors and windows but we settled for $40 for 3 people (still a ripoff but it was nighttime, raining and muddy and we were desperate).

If you continue to travel in Baja I would suggest that you stay close to Hwy 1 and only visit resorts with websites that you can check out in advance. Leave the uncertainties of back country travel to those of us who like it.
kilo

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
If you continue to travel in Baja I would suggest that you stay close to Hwy 1 and only visit resorts with websites that you can check out in advance. Leave the uncertainties of back country travel to those of us who like it.

We weren't seeking out resorts...just don't like to be ripped off and treated poorly. The original purpose of the post was to recommend Beto over the beach people if PSF is your destination.

Some photos from the trip as requested by Blanca:

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by kilo]
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 09:34 PM

Yes, Beto owns the cove on the north side of PSF. He lives there full-time, and leases out some of the bay to various gringos who have built casitas and boat storage sheds, etc., as well as the dock in the small shallow bay. As far as I know, Carlos Slim didn't buy the old PSF resort, but rumor has it he has bought up much of the ejido land between there and El Arco, and that there may be some oro y plata in them thar hills.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 11:46 PM

Quote:

Looks like Snoopy?

You must have done some climbing to take this shot.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 02:30 AM

Carlos Slim just bought me and as one of his new representatives I have been directed to politely tell all Bahia de San Francisquito whiners to stay away....:biggrin:

We don't need no....

Don't believe everything you think....
kilo

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 07:35 AM

We climbed pretty much straight up from our campsite on the leveled ground that you can see in the middle of the picture.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

Looks like Snoopy?

You must have done some climbing to take this shot.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 07:56 AM

Kilo , thanks for the shots ! how is the in and how long a trip is it ? It's on the list to visit .
kilo

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
Kilo , thanks for the shots ! how is the in and how long a trip is it ? It's on the list to visit .

http://www.moon.com/destinations/baja-cabo/guerrero-negro-ba...

Road from Bahia de los Angeles definitely requires a high clearance vehicle (our spoiler made things difficult) but the road from Guerrero Negro/El Arco could possibly be done with a crossover type car (like a Toyota Matrix).
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 08:40 AM

I love reading posts about San Francisquito, both the good and the bad. It is, perhaps, my favorite place in the entire world. My first visit was in 1978 and by the end of the 1980s we had made 50 trips, all by private aircraft. Most of the trips were in my beautiful old Baron N30SD, which I kept at Van Nuys. With a stop in Mexicali we could make it to San Francisquito in about 4 hours. We would generally leave on a Friday and return home on Sunday. During most of the 80s we were generally there twice a month in the summer months. Those were good times for San Francisquito. We watched the original owners, Leonard and Rudy, build their homes at the north and south ends of the beach. We kept a locker (#10) for many years with two inflatables and tons of diving, fishing and kids beach gear. After I stopped flying in the mid 90s we made a few more trips by driving, but it was never the same. My daughter Coleen wrote a particularly poignant (for me) description of one of our last trips in 2001. I know many of you have read this before but for those who haven't it is a great description of this magical place:

http://0353753.netsolhost.com/travel/baja_escape/Day7-8.htm

I should point out there are underlined hot links to photos in her text and they are worth looking at.

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 08:49 AM

Kilo,
I should have been a bit less harsh in my reply but this was your first post to this forum and if you had enquired prior to going there any number of us would have told you that PSF is a special spot but that the operation there is now is pretty disfunctional. I don't think you were "ripped off," the cabanas have always been overpriced IMHO which is why I have always camped on the beach there or under the big open palapa on one of their cots. Also, I expect to pay more for meals in a remote place. All supplies are brought in from some distance away.

Also you stated as fact that Slim is the owner, I requested some confirmation of that and you did not respond. For 40 years of Baja travel I have been regaled with stories about the next big development in remote places and few have ever actually happened so I am a bit cynical when I hear these things.
kilo

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Kilo,
I should have been a bit less harsh in my reply but this was your first post to this forum and if you had enquired prior to going there any number of us would have told you that PSF is a special spot but that the operation there is now is pretty disfunctional. I don't think you were "ripped off," the cabanas have always been overpriced IMHO which is why I have always camped on the beach there or under the big open palapa on one of their cots. Also, I expect to pay more for meals in a remote place. All supplies are brought in from some distance away.

Also you stated as fact that Slim is the owner, I requested some confirmation of that and you did not respond. For 40 years of Baja travel I have been regaled with stories about the next big development in remote places and few have ever actually happened so I am a bit cynical when I hear these things.

It's all good. The people at the beach said they worked for Slim. Beto seems to be the expert on the people buying up land in that corner of Baja and he said that although Slim does own a lot of the land near him, the beach itself is owned by a group of investors from Mexico City that may or may not include Slim. If Mexico was forward-thinking, they would declare a lot of that land a National or State Park before access gets cut off to the large majority of people.

[Edited on 1-21-2013 by kilo]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 10:20 AM

Sadly Beto's wife Debra was killed hitching a ride to ensenada with a load of flying sams in a beech twin.
the was the Shark lady and was raising 2 kids in the remote. she had a ham set up and her own reporting net daily.
Galen Hansleman wrote of her in his 1997 baja flying guide.
whe we were stuck there in 1991 with a bad jug in my mooney she helped us daily for 3 days until we could hitch out.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.