Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: San Francisquito
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
.....If Mexico was forward-thinking, they would declare a lot of that land a National or State Park before access gets cut off to the large majority of people.

Kurt,
That is a great idea. SF is so special to some of us....memories of magical moments.:saint:

Last time I was there it was cool and raining....the kitchen family was enjoying their own Christmas festivities and I felt a bit like I was intruding....not because of their behaviour, but because it felt like a family vibe was going on. They only had eggs or machaca....and those machaca omelets for several days were the best I have ever had.....not because of their culinary abilities, but because of the magic I found in the experience.

Exactly what I was looking for....solitude, time to reflect and recalibrate.

P.S. I don't take cruises or stay at all-inclusives...

But that's just me :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 11:03 AM

Saving that area for a national park would be excellent, but the chances of it happening are slim to none.

Like a lot you, I too, had many magic moments at San Francisquito...a long time ago. I came by 4x4 overland with Blackjack and his Grasshopper, by gunk-holing along the coast in my old cruiser, Pompano, and by air once. By air was my last visit...back in the late 70's.... way too long ago. A gringo pilot, Duvall, from Mulege and I went on an air search for a missing Mulege fisherman. His wife pleaded with us to go look for him after he was a couple days overdue coming home with his panga. She graciously offered to pay for the fuel, but we never let her know the actual cost of that trip. We flew a V-tail Bonanza and covered the ground thoroughly and fast. We eventually found the panga with the correct markings....pulled up at San Francisquito.

We landed at the strip and walked over to find the 'missing & overdue' fisherman. He..and some other chaps...were very drunk and seemed unconcerned when we told him his wife was very worried and had sent us looking for him. He sobered a bit when we told him about the high fuel bill he was obliged to pay...but we were just glad to fly back home and tell the woman her hubby was okay...albeit a little drunk... and would return shortly. The cost was on us. Ha!..I would liked to have been a fly-on-the-wall when that hung-over fisherman returned to the home fires!

Such was life in Mulege back in the day. Never a dull moment.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 11:25 AM

Beto told me that the land around there had been purchased by a mining company. Including most of 'his' cove. The ejido had decided to proceed with the sale.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 11:39 AM

my first time to visit San Francisquito,,

I flew in with a old Baja Character, Jack Divine in his plane Cessna 210
he had a place at Beto's, this was in the late 70s, had alot of fun, spent several days, good food as I remember,, very friendly people that ran the place, meet a guy that lived there in a little house behind the restaurant
he was a gringo, he made jewelry and sold it to the tourists that came thru, the story goes he was wanted in Calif, for something and waiting out the statues of limitation, any one remember him, cant seem to remember his name
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl

he had a place at Beto's, this was in the late 70s, had alot of fun, spent several days, good food as I remember,, very friendly people that ran the place, meet a guy that lived there in a little house behind the restaurant
he was a gringo, he made jewelry and sold it to the tourists that came thru, the story goes he was wanted in Calif, for something and waiting out the statues of limitation, any one remember him, cant seem to remember his name

Yes, I have some memories of a guy making jewelry there. I remember his gem saw because I bought a fire opal gift that he cut expertly for a ring. Pretty fuzzy memory and I don't recall his name either. Somebody will chime in, hopefully.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 12:01 PM

I am came down with CRS several years ago also
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 12:05 PM

Quote:

His name was Ed. He married a lovely Mexican lady named Martha and as I recall they lived in the cove. I have his last name somewhere will try to find it.

carpe diem!
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
.....If Mexico was forward-thinking, they would declare a lot of that land a National or State Park before access gets cut off to the large majority of people.

Kurt,
That is a great idea. SF is so special to some of us....memories of magical moments.:saint:

Last time I was there it was cool and raining....the kitchen family was enjoying their own Christmas festivities and I felt a bit like I was intruding....not because of their behaviour, but because it felt like a family vibe was going on. They only had eggs or machaca....and those machaca omelets for several days were the best I have ever had.....not because of their culinary abilities, but because of the magic I found in the experience.

Exactly what I was looking for....solitude, time to reflect and recalibrate.

P.S. I don't take cruises or stay at all-inclusives...

But that's just me :saint:

That quote was not mine but I certainly agree. I don't think I have ever heard a fellow rider say anything negative about PSF. Its such great riding that that overides anything else.

My first ride there in 93 was on a R80GS with a buddy on a R100GS. We just didn't know any better! The road from BOLA was in terrible shape but we pushed through and got to Francisquito after dark. Place was totally shut down. We saw a fire on the beach to the south so rode down there where we found a couple who had a house on the beach and a retired Navy guy named Bob who was caretaking the large house on the south bluff. We were instantly invited to dinner and then Bob said he had a couple of cots and we could sleep on his veranda. It was raininng off and on and being sheltered under that metal roof was great. In the morning Bob fixed us breakfast (he had been a cook in the Navy) and then we were off to El Arco. There was light rain and the ride up Cuesta de la Ley was a little exciting and then we got into the red clay mud. The R100 had a low front fender which packed up with mud resulting in lock-up and an instant spill. My R80 had a tall fender so no problem. We decided to remove the R100 fender but the elite BMW design team had seen fit to use the fender to mount a brake line coupler and the whole thing could not be removed without a much greater variety of tools than we were carrying. I'm sure my buddy spilled at least a dozen times but we made it. Rode out to GN where we dried out and my buddy went back north and I continued on to Mulege and sunshine. 20 years later I remember it as one of my best Baja rides.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 12:26 PM

yea, Ed

lived in the cove? now some thing is coming back to me a little bit more, the house behind the restraunt was his shop
I think, as it was really small

do you also recall Jack Divine, he was a bounty hunter, lived in TJ

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by desertcpl]
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
yea, Ed

lived in the cove? now some thing is coming back to me a little bit more, the house behind the restraunt was his shop
I think, as it was really small

do you also recall Jack Divine, he was a bounty hunter, lived in TJ

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by desertcpl]

We were pretty good friends with Jack Divine, we were often there at the same time. Loved his 210. He was a fascinating guy, we really enjoyed him. Some of his bounty hunter stories were fascinating. Big Ed could tell some pretty good stories also.

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 12:41 PM

I think Ed lived in his shop until he married Martha, then they moved into a house in the cove (might have been hers).

carpe diem!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 12:45 PM

yes Jack was a quite a guy, he could keep you entertained

he also had a used car lot in TJ, where he lived

do you ever meet his running mate Carmen
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
yes Jack was a quite a guy, he could keep you entertained

he also had a used car lot in TJ, where he lived

do you ever meet his running mate Carmen

I don't recall any female friends, and I usually paid attention to that :). My recollection is that he usually came in with small groups of men, or alone. He kept a tin boat there and loved fishing the jurel.

carpe diem!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 01:18 PM

your right on about the tin boat and fishing

Carmen was a real looker and was she built

alot younger than Jack, she was maybe her 20s

she lived on the property with Jack and his wife and kids
she had a child also, she went every where with Jack when I knew them

I am sure you would remembered her if you had meet her
Leftcoaster

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Beto told me that the land around there had been purchased by a mining company. Including most of 'his' cove. The ejido had decided to proceed with the sale.

Yes, and we can only hope that like many developments in Baja it never materializes. Per Beto (a couple of years ago) part of the plan was to build a marina on the end of the point where they would load ore onto barges from the mines at El Arco.

I found the mining concern on the web - a Korean/Canadian/U.S. conglomerate. They had just inked a deal for something like $700 million. But there's a great deal of mileage between signing and actually doing it.

Aguachico, do the trip. Every year I see a guy in a really nice Grady down there (a group of friends and I also do it in two boats). It's worth the logistics, particularly since the panga situation there is not always reliable. Lots of islands to explore.

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by Leftcoaster]
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
I am came down with CRS several years ago also

didnt get a reply on this one,, CRS

Cant Remember Sh.t
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 07:52 PM

Quote:

I always hesitate asking this question, because so often now I don't like the answer, but is Jack still with us??

carpe diem!
rzitren
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 07:22 AM

Some quick answers to questions about San Francisquitos
Jack Devine was a used car dealer and a bounty hunter from Tijuana and has passed away.

Ed Studley " Eduardo " who had the little jewelery shop and lived over in the port has also passed away.

The original owners were Rudy Vallodolid and Leonard Martinez and their picture used to hang on the wall in the bar looking like old time banditos.

The Vallodolid family sold the property off in 2007 to some group out of Mexico City. We were told that they planned on buying up all the land around that area and making it a private resort. My partner and I had a house there for 25 years and got to know the whole cast of characters that visited there. It is a time in my life I will never forget.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 07:37 AM

My ex-wife told me a story of when she was younger, dating a guy who was flown in with her to work on someones house...she wasn't happy with the guy shortly but loved San Francisquitos.

The story continues that a couple of free divers stopped in and one of them ended up drowning. She (looking for a way out) and two others put the body in a vehicle and drove out (to GN?) where she went her way.

Anyone remember this episode?
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:

I always hesitate asking this question, because so often now I don't like the answer, but is Jack still with us??

i really dont know for sure, but my best quess is he is not

the last i spoke with Jack was maybe in the mid 90s. he told me then that his health was on the decline, he was planning on flying into Yuma and we was going to meet up, but never heard any more about it
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.