Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  17    19    21  ..  42
Author: Subject: What Is West Baja walk
TampicoTrauma
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 11:48 PM

I really really really don't care what you think I have in creds...

Cause Baja is my home...

So there!!!

LOL...
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 07:06 AM

Boy you're alot of fun....:no:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 08:00 AM

When one gets old, and feeble...like me...it's good therapy to have someone or something to ignore. It gives the feeling that I'm still in charge of my life.
Today....life is good. :yes:
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 10:20 AM

Today is a good day indeed Dennis! Yesterday was a good one too for the dudes...they made some good progress and are now about 20-ish miles south of Punta Canoas.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 10:43 AM
Close Up 3-5-13

The guys are across from the rock: Islote Piedra de San José (near the fish camp by Faro San José, San José de la Piedra).

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 12:24 PM

There are some really good fishing spots along there. I hope they take advantage of them. Best in early morning and evening before dark.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 01:12 PM
...funny you should mention that.............

.....after our recent short adventure in baja,,I dropped my son at LAX,,he's now backpacking through central america.
I'm proud of his sense of adventure.

.......doctor ,your projections are ABSURD!!

.......back to my point,,,,this 'adventure' is fine as it is,,,,but rediculous in it's pretense,,,,,I'm hoping these guys 'own' what it's become,,,and acknowledge the generosities of nomads and native mexicans have changed the nature of the trip!

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Why should they even post here with you nasty guys ripping them apart if they say someone offered them a bed or dinner? I wonder if your kids ever say Dad I'd like to try something..you probably tell them to go stuff it they are amateurs and could never make it...my son tries all different things...some I think are good and some not so good...but I think it's important for parents to instill in their kids a sense of passion...this world is so full of apathy and it's because of people that are hypercritical. Buuuahahaha to both of you **** ******!!

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by BajaNomad]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 01:21 PM

I think that will be the case... Mike Younghusband posted about all the wonderful things that happened to him by Baja Nomads.

Graham Mackintosh even has a chapter on Nomads in his last book...

Let these guys finish their adventure or at least get online to speak about it...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 01:56 PM

..........here's something that really 'confuses' me......2 VERY different accounts of the trip's first steps!!!!!........

.......from Baja Geoff.......... ''After a ceremonial walk across the border, we drove out to Playas de Tijuana to the border fence to have lunch and get the walk under way.''

....and from their facebook account.......''
We asked some policemen how we'd get to Tijuana beach. We knew full well there wasn't a walking path, that there only existed a road for cars, and that if you wanted to do it you'd have to walk along the border fence. The policemen told us it was impossible, you have to take a bus. We tried anyway. So we walked through a maze of rotundas and bad city traffic as our friends followed us with cameras snapping. At one point we passed a house with a couple ghetto tattooed guys and they yelled after us, "Surf's up bro"!

..........are they pretending that the car ride didn't happen?.....they're certainly not acknowledging how a car-ride from a nomad got them to the official start of their walk as BG said.............confusing at best!!!:?::?::?:

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by micah202]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
confusing at best!!!:?::?::?:

I agree...it is, but not exactly a deal-breaker. They shouldn't be held to the standards of a court of law for everything they say as long as the storyline stays intact.
I'm sure their finished report will have gone through many rewrites and the cuttingroom floor will be littered with footage.
Let's see how it plays out without holding a gun to their heads.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 04:09 PM

"..........here's something that really 'confuses' me......2 VERY different accounts of the trip's first steps!!!!!........" micah202

Not confusing at all...is it not possible that a photo shoot was done at some point (maybe initially) in that the "friends following" were the people who took some shots THEN drove them onward to the playa?

This is what is known as an integrated method of two differant sources being of the same event, but each fills in a portion that the other did not find necessary to include or stayed at the forefront of their own recolection. Not necessary contradicting or invalidating the other. This is evident in the four Gospels of the New Testament Bible.

Could be one explanation.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 04:16 PM

......uhh,,mayyyyyybe,,,,,,,but it's clearly striking how Geoff talks of driving before they get the walk underway,,,,,and the lads make zero mention of such,,,to the extent that they describe a few details of what would be a VERY complicated walk!
........the only wiggle room in the picture is that Geoff doesn't -explicitly- say that the lads were in the car,,,but it does seem to be a pretty clear inferrance..............hopefully BG can shed some light onthis?

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by micah202]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 05:22 PM

micah202

Are you going to take away their Gold star, or just penalize them 7 miles, or would would you invalidate the whole walk.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 05:27 PM

Hey ! Now were picking chit with the chickens...I admire them for their trip, I hope they have fun. I know I would..I just dont think its a NG class deal...

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Hey ! Now were picking chit with the chickens...I admire them for their trip, I hope they have fun. I know I would..I just dont think its a NG class deal...

...totally agree on both points......it's great they're not making dips in a couch as their only accomplishment,,,,,,,,but nationalG---get real!!

....in the current section they're in I very much hope they stay safe,,,,and that there indeed are enough fishcamps to keep the lads suitable provisioned,,,as is their stated hope!

[Edited on 3-6-2013 by micah202]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 07:17 PM

This is kind of venture we need here. Following somebody else bread crumbs (gps point or milage directions) takes lot of the misery out of Baja. I kinda wish they didn't use spot. They have to to market the project however.

These guys are living a Adventure... Stories of Graham rolling up in a camp a demanding beer and provisions are some of the funniest, I've heard. Most long walks are just long walks. Meeting great people that help you in ways you never would believe, is what you remember. There is a great deal of time and luck involved in this venture. All of us sitting in the nickel seats, second guessing, are just that. I'm sure somebody at Nat.Geo. can edit a 1000 mile walk /paddle board trip into something interesting for a hour and half.

This trip is something they will always have. Us, we're sitting in the bleachers. Whatever is brought up on the board will not mean much,we are not important to out come of it.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

whatiswest

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 10:19 PM

Wowee! This forum is like a daytime soap opera-una culebra! Haha
Thank you Geoff for posting the vids, haven't watched them yet but glad those moments are captured as heat and dehydration practically erased my memory. It's been a tough stretch of coast for dayum sure. Honestly the best part of this trip is meeting the local Baja californias. They are generous even though they think we're crazy and sometimes think we're marijuaneros or burros de drogas. Just to be transparent, this adventure isn't a feat of survival as much as it is a chance to Know Baja, thus documenting day-to-day and spending time with locals or expats. We haven't had a chance to thank anyone yet, nor is a forum the place to really do so but special thank u to Juan Valdez of the Tampico variety y rob, loved the vodka tacos! Thank u sat mike and Valerie; Charlie and East Coast boys; Nipper!; rose and Ed; David richardson; Omar; eraclio... Many many more great people we've met along the way!!
Update: We're staying a second night in el faro san jose o el puerto(old name). Today we went to check the jaiba traps, or crab, with Marco and mael. Apparently we were bad luck but maricela still made us a sopa and omelets for lunch, afterwards a long nap. We're somewhat stalling so we can meet up with Wildcoast at punta cuchillo in the next couple days. Stay tuned!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 10:26 PM

How did you connect to the Internet? The fish camp has electricity and satellite Internet? Wow!

[Edited on 3-6-2013 by David K]

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How did you connect to the Internet? The fish camp has electricity and satellite Internet? Wow!

[Edited on 3-6-2013 by David K]

....those towers are everywhere now,,,getting hard to have a remote adventure on Baja........perhaps inland away from highways and fishcamps(?)

....good t'hear the lads are safe,,, well fed,,and having fun,,,,that's what matters!

...time to use that surfboard yer've been lugging around

[Edited on 3-6-2013 by micah202]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 11:53 PM

I went to my Facebook page to post some news about a new distributor for our mission book, and there was a post from the guys (What Is West) there that said they got satellite Internet connection (at the San José fish camp).

Pages:  1  ..  17    19    21  ..  42

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.