Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bombay Beach.....in the footprints of Tony Bourdain
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 09:50 PM
Bombay Beach.....in the footprints of Tony Bourdain

Last year we visited Bombay Beach on the first day of a weeks road trip. Where is Bombay Beach, well it's on the eastside of the Salton Sea in So Cal. With a median age of over 60 and a median income of just over $20,000, it's seen better days. Scenic it is though in a peculiar way. When we returned from that trip we caught an episode of Bourdain's "No Reservations" show where he visited Bombay Beach. He stopped in the local Bar, the "Ski Inn". It's a funky dive bar with a personality. With good music on the Juke Box, pool tables, a passable cheeseburger and cold beer, it's perfect.

I promised to visit the next time through. Well, today we got up and decided a MC ride around the Salton Sea and lunch at the Ski Inn was in order. The owner Wendel, in his 80's and his wife running the kitchen form quite a team. He's a great guy and although the place has been up for sale quite awhile, try to stop in before they sell it. The last sale didn't go very well, he had to take it back from the buyer. Times have been really tough on Bombay Beach, despite it's almost cult status.

Wendel

[Edited on 4-7-2013 by tripledigitken]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Wendel

Just love that one!

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 10:14 PM

Love that whole area out there. From Salvation Mt., the bubbling mud pots, Slab City tanks, Niland Marina, hot spring spas, hikes you need ropes and ladders, volcanic vents, nature preserves, white pelicans, snow geese, the military fly-bys, and the American Legion at Bombay Beach--- it is a great place. Hey did you know that those old dried Talipia on the shore make great fire material??
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Love that whole area out there. From Salvation Mt., the bubbling mud pots, Slab City tanks, Niland Marina, hot spring spas, hikes you need ropes and ladders, volcanic vents, nature preserves, white pelicans, snow geese, the military fly-bys, and the American Legion at Bombay Beach--- it is a great place. Hey did you know that those old dried Talipia on the shore make great fire material??

you mean these......................

:smug::smug::smug:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 07:00 AM

what a smile that guy has on his face ! cool thread, thanks for sharing.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 07:26 AM

We used to go fishing at the Salton Sea when I was a kid. I remember using water dogs (mud suckers?) for bait, wading way out and standing for hours in chest deep water waiting for a large corvina to hit.....I don't remember ever catching one but my friends dad caught them pretty regularly. Come to think of it I never saw him standing chest deep in water with his fishing pole.....maybe we were doing it wrong or possibly encouraged to wade out a half mile to get us out from under feet at the camp.
I remember catching sargo too but not talapia, I think it was before they stocked them in there.
I also remember it being hot and smelly.
I also watched and enjoyed the Bordain show about the Salton Sea, cool stuff. Thanks for the cool pictures and memories ken....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 07:38 AM

those first 2 shots look like paintings.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 08:19 AM

Used to water ski there in the early 60s. The barnacles grew so fast that you couldn't leave your boat in the water overnight without them growing on the hull. Also couldn't walk out into the water barefooted without hurting your feet. needed to jump start off a pier. The local bar always added a green olive to your beer to replace the salt you lost in the heat.

Bob Durrell
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 08:25 AM

I guess some of us were visiting the Salton Sea during the same era. The parents of a good friend of mine actually belonged to the Salton Sea Yacht Club --- soon, it was going to be the next Palm Springs! :) But we enjoyed the water skiing a lot.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 08:34 AM

Brings back memories..for sure...

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 08:42 AM

Funny how many of us were bouncing around the same real estate possibly on the same days.

That eastside is like stepping back in time. Some very nice camping options. One note, that smell is not a constant. The last two times we have been out there it was odorless.

Thanks for the comments.

Ken
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 09:57 AM

Great pics Ken. Our next trip will be to Bombay.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 10:23 AM

Thanks Frank! Take your whole camera kit.

Ken
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 10:38 AM

I remember like it was yesterday, mid 50s my sister and brother in law was members of the Southern Calif ski club, the club had a compound at salton sea, I used to tag along with them a lot

later in years the then wife and I used to spend weekends at the Yacht club, fun times
baja-ebonny

Mood: I need a Margarita

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 03:52 PM

How come you did'nt mention the Nomads sitting next to you? It sure is a small world. I just laughed when I saw this post.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja-ebonny
How come you did'nt mention the Nomads sitting next to you? It sure is a small world. I just laughed when I saw this post.

Baja-ebony,

Now this is interesting!!! I didn't talk to any Nomads in the Ski Inn, that I'm aware of. You must be confusing me with one of the 3 bikers. We were the couple sitting by the pool tables. I did talk to one of the 3 bikers, the one riding a Vstrom, he made no mention of being a Nomad.

Tell me more. We left just before the other three. Were you the one that took the photo of the three outside before they left?

This is crazy...........

Ken
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 06:26 PM

Thanks ...... there in the 50's with my folks, water skiing and camping ... :):)

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja-ebonny

baja-ebony,

Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk, rather than the two ships crossing kind of thing.

Ken
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 06:50 PM

The salinity continues to rise, leaving a question mark even for talapia, I think the only fish left in there. We always made it to the American Legion for a meal when staying nearby. Sandhill cranes and obsidian are also in the area, a pretty diverse spot.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.