Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Son arrested in Mexico
bajanow
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 11:18 AM
Son arrested in Mexico

My friend's son was arrested today in Mexico City. I seem to remember an article or ad on this board for an attorney in Mexico that would help travelers that got in legal trouble. Any suggestions or referrals would be appreciated.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 11:29 AM

...sorry,,I don'tknow of the lawyer,,,but best of luck,,,I hope things turn out okay!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 11:36 AM

Not having any idea what the beef is, I will say, the sooner someone gets down there with money, the less costly it will be. The longer it takes, the more people are involved.
I don't ever recall any discussion of criminal lawyers on this board. Immigration and Naturalization lawyers have been discussed.

Best of luck.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 11:38 AM

I would get in touch with the American embassy in Mexico City.
Good luck.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 11:39 AM

Why was he arrested?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Good luck.

The embassy, being contacted by the police, will go to see him and make a call for him. That's the procedure here and hopefully there.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 11:59 AM

CALL Celia Diaz at the BINATIONAL EMERGENCY COMMITTEE....

for some advice. Helping people in MX with problems is her/their business and she has MANY connections at all levels of govt. in both MX and the US.

http://www.binationalemergency.org

ALL the info you need is on their website.

Miguelamo :yes: :yes: :yes:

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 12:02 PM

Dennis, I have stood on the sidelines many times and watched what happens. Your advice is right on the mark. Abogados in Mexico are like "brokers" between cops and the accused. You can bet your arse they will make rescuers "broke". Unless money is no object someone has to go down there and babysit this thing from beginning to end. The kid will be fed DEVIL'S ISLAND grade slop. He needs to have someone to bring him real food.

If the charges are federal, narcotics for instance, things are going to be more complicated. So are crimes of violence. Or robbery where great value is assigned.

Cops and the judiciary in Mexico prime directive...

¿WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?

Let things sit and you'll have a gosh darnned regiment to feed.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Dennis, I have stood on the sidelines many times and watched what happens. Your advice is right on the mark. Abogados in Mexico are like "brokers" between cops and the accused. You can bet your arse they will make rescuers "broke". Unless money is no object someone has to go down there and babysit this thing from beginning to end. The kid will be fed DEVIL'S ISLAND grade slop. He needs to have someone to bring him real food.

If the charges are federal, narcotics for instance, things are going to be more complicated. So are crimes of violence. Or robbery where great value is assigned.

¿WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?

My Mexican friend recently had the experience of a construction company taking over his property in Ixtapa for use as their storage lot. So I said what's the big deal---you have the papers, call the police and have them kicked out. "Senor, you don't know Mexico." Seems he had to pay a lawyer to serve the papers to the judicio who would tell the police to kick them out.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 12:51 PM
Embassy

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Good luck.

These people are the last ones you want to call.

The Ministerio Publico will, by International Treaty, contact the American Embassy to inform them an American is in custody.

If the young man is still in the Separos, he has a chance to get out before an Auto Formal de Prision is dictated by a Mexican Judge.

This is like a snakebite. What happens in the first few hours COUNTS.

If it was my son, I'de be on a plane headed south with CASH.

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana

For more than clear reason. Once you bring in the Embassy yourself, it becomes a public issue. Most private negotiations are closed out and buying the ticket to fly may be out of the question.
Then, you have to wait for the wheels of justice to turn, and they do that like they're stuck in cement.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana

For more than clear reason. Once you bring in the Embassy yourself, it becomes a public issue. Most private negotiations are closed out and buying the ticket to fly may be out of the question.
Then, you have to wait for the wheels of justice to turn, and they do that like they're stuck in cement.

DENNIS
That is exactly what happened to a "friend"....

He ended up spending 42 months in the Oaxaca Penitentiary when the Embassy got involved......

during the first week, however, the Judicial Federal Police held him in a jail cell in their offices waiting for his partners to bring a nice fat bribe to let him go....

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
bajanow
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 01:47 PM

Thanks everyone, and you can relax. It was a scam known as "The Grandparent Scam." It goes like this, Grandparent received a call from grandson. Little Jimmy is crying and a hysterical. He tells a tale of being arrested and in jail in a foreign country, in this case guns and cocaine were found in his car. Please send money ASAP. Western Union wire instructions are given. What's a loving grandparent to do? Google "son arrested in foreign country calls grandparent for money" for more information.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajanow
Thanks everyone, and you can relax. It was a scam known as "The Grandparent Scam." It goes like this, Grandparent received a call from grandson. Little Jimmy is crying and a hysterical. He tells a tale of being arrested and in jail in a foreign country, in this case guns and cocaine were found in his car. Please send money ASAP. Western Union wire instructions are given. What's a loving grandparent to do? Google "son arrested in foreign country calls grandparent for money" for more information.

In my opinion, the jerks that perpetrate these scams should spend 24 hours being waterboarded with Tehuacan sparkling mineral water by some coked out Federales just like my "friend" did back in 1978!!

-Nikola Tesla
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 02:54 PM

Don't forget the P-nche polvo chilies piquin added to the agua mineral Loretana! It'll clean out the sinuses!

"Aghhh! OK I'm An Elephant! I'm An Elephant!"

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 03:20 PM

I rather like the warm pepsi being squirted up your nose, while 2 cops hold you upside down. has a bit more "Panache"

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 03:41 PM

The Preferred liquid of choice is warm Coca-cola. Have a riot and they call a Coka-cola truck. The guards will point at somebody and shake their hand, like shaking up a bottle.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 04:42 PM

David,

I had a good friend who went back to the States, an American. While she was here she got involved with a guy who shot someone on a drug heist and was chased by the police. The guy ended up in jail. She hired a Mexican attorney and paid him a few thousand dollars, and the guy got off in a few months.
Quote:

¿WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 03:21 PM

Good Friend

Got Involved With A Guy That Shot Someone In A Drug Heist

Oops, Ensenada Dr. I'm out of my league on this one. Yeah, I just can imagine me shooting someone in a drug heist and getting booted for a few thousand dollars. Have an accident and hurt someone and say hasta la vista baybee to a few grand.

This would be like going to court in the USA and the judge sentencing...

"Well this IS your first conviction of being a major drug lab operator and well, shoot, 5 years probation!" Bang goes the gavel and you walk.

I am not touched with the golden finger of fate, nor was "Wes" who was found to have rifles stored and pot growing aboard his sailboat. Confiscated forever, served a year in the La Paz reclusorio centro de rehabilitacion. Nor Eddy, in Manzanillo, who scored an ounce of pot, and the judiciales nailed him 2 minutes later. The procuraduria del estado (Colima) demanded five grand in grinning Benjamin Franklins or Eddy was to go up the river. No one had five grand so up the river Eddy went.

Ministerio Publicos are sort of deaf until they hear the rustle of sizable banknotes. I once hired an abogado to look into nationalization of my car and he wanted three hundred dollars "up front" to "research". He said the arrangements would cost more.

Ever have anything Notarized in Mexico? Those that haven't may be in for a little sticker shock. Even on an "I am me" document.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
I once hired an abogado to look into nationalization of my car and he wanted three hundred dollars "up front" to "research". He said the arrangements would cost more.

Don't you just love the idea of paying them to do the homework they should have done in school?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.