BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 01:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Some claim the extra weight has to cause faster brake wear. Since I seldom use the brake pedal at all, I question that one. 95% of my braking is done by battery regeneration as soon as i take my foot off the accelerator.

Actually no, the heavier weight does NOT cause extra brake wear since BEVs use regenerative braking. I have 70K miles on my original brakes. I took my car recently to a local brake shop in Cal for a complimentary check. The brake technician said, "why are you here? you have 80% left on your rotors and calipers!" I use "one pedal" (the go pedal) for driving. The electric motor slows down the car dramatically depending on much you let off on the go pedal. It takes about 2 days to get used to sensation, and then you don't want to drive anything different than that. I never touch my brakes unless an ICE neanderthal, who resents my BEV, cuts me off in traffic to prove to the world how immature he is. :no:
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 02:51 PM

When I was staying with my friend who has an EV, she offered it to me to go run some errands one day. I was a bit nervous about it, as it's only a couple years old, bright and shiny without a mark on it, and I'd never driven an EV before. She said, oh, it's easy, gave me a quick tutorial re the braking and other details, and I got the hang of it right away.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
She said, oh, it's easy, gave me a quick tutorial re the braking and other details, and I got the hang of it right away.

Exactly, you get the hang of driving a BEV right away, because, in many ways, it is easier to drive than an ICE vehicle! You are able to enjoy your drive rather than concentrating on extraneous ICE decisions.
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
....rather than concentrating on extraneous ICE decisions.

What does this even mean? Last time I drove my ICE truck, this morning, I got in, turned the key, put it in gear and drove. Not sure about what else I need to be thinking about to make the truck operate.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
She said, oh, it's easy, gave me a quick tutorial re the braking and other details, and I got the hang of it right away.

Exactly, you get the hang of driving a BEV right away, because, in many ways, it is easier to drive than an ICE vehicle! You are able to enjoy your drive rather than concentrating on extraneous ICE decisions.

You should buy an “easy” ICE vehicle. My ice vehicles are easier than most evs. For example, i got physical knobs and buttons for lights, heating/ac and audio.
I hate some of the newer evs and ices that bury heat/ac and audio in touch screens - knobs and buttons are better for the frequently-used controls. Why hide the frequently-used controls behind extra screen swipes? Stupid design.
I notice this most driving rental cars, hate having to quickly figure out screen controls when i am just renting a car for a day or 2.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 02:14 PM

I've long thought that when cars switched to automatic windows, they should have also left the manual window crank. If the electronic window controls go on the blink, which they sometimes do, and has happened to me, your windows may either be stuck open or stuck shut, both of which can be inconvenient and problematic, until you can get it repaired.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

You should buy an “easy” ICE vehicle. My ice vehicles are easier than most evs. For example, i got physical knobs and buttons for lights, heating/ac and audio.
I hate some of the newer evs and ices that bury heat/ac and audio in touch screens - knobs and buttons are better for the frequently-used controls. Why hide the frequently-used controls behind extra screen swipes? Stupid design.
I notice this most driving rental cars, hate having to quickly figure out screen controls when i am just renting a car for a day or 2.

Written by someone who is totally unfamiliar with an EV. In 1920 you would be one who chose to keep their horse and carriage and a bucket of oats and the terrible stink from your conveyance in front of you. I rented a carriage ride around town for a special occasion once a long time ago. I was surprised at how much flatulence and smell from that horse!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 05:38 PM

Written by someone who is totally unfamiliar with an EV. In 1920 you would be one who chose to keep their horse and carriage and a bucket of oats and the terrible stink from your conveyance in front of you. I rented a carriage ride around town for a special occasion once a long time ago. I was surprised at how much flatulence and smell from that horse!

I know what i know. I know rental cars, in ‘em about monthly. The cars that are mostly touch screen are fine if you know the car, PITA if you don't know the car.

Touch screens are stupid. Makes it hard to jump between car makes and brands. Adds distraction when trying to find controls in a new-to-you car.
Maybe touch screens are ok after you own the car for a few weeks and know where all the controls are buried.

A universal layout for touch screens would be good I do like apple car play, it generally works same across car platforms.

[Edited on 6-17-2024 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 06:45 PM

I know what i know. I know rental cars, in ‘em about monthly. The cars that are mostly touch screen are fine if you know the car, PITA if you don't know the car.

Anything with a touch screen - phone, laptop, etc. - requires a learning curve to understand the protocols, usually a couple of days. Just because you are unfamiliar with the screen on your new phone, doesn't mean you throw your phone out.

Quote:
Touch screens are stupid. Makes it hard to jump between car makes and brands. Adds distraction when trying to find controls in a new-to-you car.
Maybe touch screens are ok after you own the car for a few weeks and know where all the controls are buried.

Unfortunately for you, automotive touch screens are the technology of the current and future. You either learn the technology or you will be stuck in the past.

Quote:
A universal layout for touch screens would be good I do like apple car play, it generally works same across car platforms.

Standardization will happen as the technology becomes standard procedure.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 07:08 PM

Oxxy,
Mfgs are listening to customers, some are moving the frequently-used controls back to buttons, because the customers are saying they hate the touch screens
A car that has a learning curve is just a badly designed car. cars are meant to be simple start-the-car-and-drive tools. If they dont have intuitive controls, it is a bad design.

Woke!

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 07:18 PM

Here is an interesting article/test of 6 popular BEV range. The results are not as simple as you think because all 6 models have different size traction batteries. The number to look at most closely is the efficiency percentage. Very revealing!

https://insideevs.com/news/723246/bmw-mercedes-porsche-byd-r...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 07:50 PM

Here is an interesting article/test of 6 popular BEV range. The results are not as simple as you think because all 6 models have different size traction batteries. The number to look at most closely is the efficiency percentage. Very revealing!

https://insideevs.com/news/723246/bmw-mercedes-porsche-byd-r...

My coworker rented a polestar on a work trip, she thought it looked fun, wanted to try it out.
She returned it on day 3 to get an ICE car. She tried 2 different chargers, none would work with her car. She said she would not spend time flocking around with charging, as an ice vehicle is easy to fuel up and doesnt require a flocking manual or call to service center.
Oxxy,
your evs are not ready for prime time, only work for nerds that want to spend all day on an app flocking around with their vehicle, and trying to plan how and where to fuel. Total chit show. Totally unsuitable for a rental car, since EV requires reading an instruction manual and some obscure app to find a charge point; while anyone can fuel and drive an ice car without a thought.
Evs are fringe hobby cars for nerds, not practical for easy transportation

Woke!

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 08:13 PM

Are you just trying to be ridiculous, Goat? I can assure you that all the EV owners I know are not nerds who spend all day on an app and trying to plan how and where to fuel. People who use EVs on a daily basis have all that down.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 09:16 PM

your evs are not ready for prime time, only work for nerds that want to spend all day on an app flocking around with their vehicle, and trying to plan how and where to fuel.

Hmmmm, the Tesla Model Y is the second top selling vehicle of any type (not pickups), second only to the Toyota RAV 4, in the entire USA. Nationwide, BEV sales account for 25% market share and that percent is growing rapidly on a monthly basis.

So I guess Devil Goat that you are one of the few WOKE non-nerds who never flocks around with anything, including your flocking posts on BN all day! :biggrin: Yes, I admit that I spend too much time un-WOKE nerd who flocks around all day on BN. :bounce: I have all that time to flock because I never flock around looking for fuel for my BEV since I flocking plug it in, in my flocking garage and it automatically gets a flocking full tank of flocking electrons while I flocking sleep peacefully, dreaming about a flocking goat worried about every flocking non-existing thing in his flocking life. C'mon amigo, I'm not your enemy, I want to be your friend. Even TioTaco likes me!

[Edited on 6-17-2024 by oxxo]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 09:22 PM

My Model Y is plugged in and scheduled to charge at 12AM.

Life's easy............the thing just works. Only part I dislike is all the unsolicited opinions and assumptions. =)
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 06:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
My Model Y is plugged in and scheduled to charge at 12AM.

Yep, don't you just love it? I do the same thing about once or twice a week 'cause I'm retired and don't need to commute on a daily basis.

Quote:
Life's easy............the thing just works. Only part I dislike is all the unsolicited opinions and assumptions. =)

Well @Ateo, there will always be the naysayers who don't "get it." They will only "get it" when they only have outmoded transportation available to them and then they will complain about outmoded transportation! ;D
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 09:33 AM

Oxxy,
Mfgs are listening to customers, some are moving the frequently-used controls back to buttons, because the customers are saying they hate the touch screens

The problem with touchscreens is that you must take your eyes off the road to use them. My gas car (2018) has a combination of controls. The commonly used controls, like air conditioning, sound system volume, radio station select, and others, are good old-fashioned buttons/dials. I can make adjustments without looking.

Maybe touchscreens should be called look and touch screens.

[Edited on 6-17-2024 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 11:17 AM

Whether you realize it or not, you do take your eyes off the road momentarily to use knobs and dials. And we all take our eyes off the road while driving, looking at scenery, something off the side of the road, looking at street signs, etc.

It may take a few more seconds to look at and use a touchscreen, but I suspect once you are used to it, it isn't really an issue, unless one is an easily distracted driver in the first place.

[Edited on 6-17-2024 by surabi]
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 11:39 AM

I can't recall where at the moment, but a similar discussion about EV's claimed because of the battery weight, the tires were polluting the roadway by wearing out prematurely and leaving rubber tire parts behind on the roadways and this was reason enough to discount EV's earth friendly properties.

Really? I'm afraid so. I thought it was a ridiculous reason to never buy an EV and call them unfriendly to Mother Earth.

Thanks Nomads for a lively discussion with a minimal amount of denial bs from the usual suspects. haha
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 12:21 PM

While it's important to be aware of things one might not be aware of, as far as what pollution is created behind something that is supposedly eco-friendly, naysayers will always try to come up with some minor issue as fodder for their arguments. Like a bit of rubber on the road.
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.