Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10  
Author: Subject: The Villages of Loreto Bay
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 01:44 PM
That project had so many unanswered questions

from the get go that it is almost identical to Punta Banda. Different forms but same outcome! People get screwed for not doing their homework and paying attention.
Friends of mine who know Baja went to one of their first meetings down there wanting to buy.
They came home in total disbelief that these schuysters had taken it that far already and couldn't answer half their questions to boot!
One of the questions was about Ejidos. The sales people didn't know what an ejido was:no:
They can screw the buyers that don't pay attention all they want but it's not nice to mess with Mother Nature while they're doing it! :lol::light::lol:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 02:10 PM
There are lots of things they don't know about

One interesting mention in that GG article was about how the developers had pristine records in the US and Canada and great working relationships based on governments that work the way they're used to. Well the Mexican government works in mysterious ways that make complete sense to Mexicanos but defy logic to Norteamericanos y Canadienses. Don't get me wrong I really want the Loreto Bay Project to work as it will benefit us all, but their promises are based in the reality that they are experienced with, not the reality that is here. I came here with the similar ideals and have changed since learning the hard way, so I see myeslf reflected in them on a smaller scale. I forsaw the labor pool problems that they are encountering right off the bat but believed the drivel about the sustainable village. I've spoken to some working with the project. I was told that they will generate more electricity than they will use and the excess will be sold to the power company or donated to the town. When I asked what CFE and the government thinks about all that, they didn't understand where I was coming from. I think you understand, JR. While I won't feel sorry for folks that buy and without doing their required research, get the shaft, I will do everything in my power to prevent our town from making any sacrifices for them. We need to somehow come together on these important issues of the environment. AS for financial competition from their village, I also fear that- for example I as a business owner in town couldn't even consider setting up another shop/office in their overpriced village, but I will evolve and change in order to keep myself competitive. I also find myself easing tensions of my peers in business over the same concerns.

Fly fishin' Pam
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 06:27 PM
Pam

I'm not sure how long you've had your business there but haven't the number of clients increased every year?
The way it's going down here (everywhere in Baja) I don't think you will need 5000 poorly thought out homes to make your business successful!:light:
Even if you had a bad rep (which I know you don't!) the tourism numbers are multiplying so rapidly you would still do well.
At least that's what I see happening in most areas, I'm not in the fishin bidness in Loreto so I could be mistaken about that!

Can I get a band for my Hawaiin sling in Loreto?
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 04:45 AM
Jr

Was the snow photo you posted taken @ Laguna Hanson? Rob
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 09:06 AM
Yes Rob

That's the place although it was 3 or 4 years ago.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 10:16 AM

"One interesting mention in that GG article was about how the developers had pristine records in the US and Canada and great working relationships based on governments that work the way they're used to."

No. Wrong. Incorrect. R O N G. Butterfield and Grogan do NOT have a pristine record, as I have explained in the past. (But nobody seems to listen to me). Their Vancouver Bamberton project was scrapped entirely dut to political and financial difficulties. It was also touted as "sustainable" blah, blah, blah - and in fact, I believe the Loreto Bay website has some of the same hype they used to push Bamberton. Their Civano project in Tucson, after 10 years, is just now starting Phase II, their Town Center, as of 2003, was not yet a reality, and the neighborhood association was vocal in their doubts and dissention regarding promises, promises, promises. The Civano project had the backing of the City of Tucson, Fannie Mae and others - a far cry from the likes of FONATUR as a construction partner. Furthermore, the aggressive environmental goals of Civano had not been met as to their objectives relating to transit oriented development and density. It has taken intense owner and neighborhood involvement to get Civano where it is today - something that is not going to happen at Loreto Bay where there will be few permanent residents. I won't belabor this any longer here. The point is, you need to do your own investigation and discover the truth. What the Loreto Bay developers state are sugar-coated half-truths.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 10:56 AM
Wrong Wilderone

("But nobody seems to listen to me"). There's a whole passle o people on this board besides the registered 1000 something members.
Just the majority of people out there are smart enough to keep quiet:lol:
But they're listening:cool:
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 01:16 PM
Hola!

Greetings all. I don't know the rep of the folks behind LB but I can only go on what I can read from here (the internet). Although I have lots of opinions, it really doesn't matter what I think as the project is going to go anyway. Lots of folks here think that we're better off with LB's plan than we would have been if FONATUR stuck to their original plan of high-rise hotels in that zona turistica and I agree with it.

JR- yes my business has seen constant growth so I can't complain but it is because I put so much into it and change when changes need to be made. In my business its necessary to be accepted into the local community and I have accomplished that. Yes you can buy a hawaiian sling in Loreto but currently you'llhae to use it outside the park, not my rules just the facts.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2004 at 01:42 PM
Thanks Pam

Not the sling, just the tubing for it. The sporting goods in Loreto has slings for cheaper than in the u.s. but what I need is just the band replacements. Gracias.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2005 at 09:34 AM
Some interesting reading

from a couple years back.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2005 at 01:21 PM
must have been in Baja.....

Ya ta hay! I guess I wasn't doin' my homework either as I totally missed the whole thread. I wasn't playing hard enough. Thanks JR for bringing that up.
The project and it's designers certainly missed the boat when it came to the "regular hombre" in Loreto. Aside from the degradation of a pristine area, my worries remain stage center on the displacement of residents in the next ten years.

Here is a French study of water resources and evaluation as a sustainable resource in Baja:

French study

[Edited on 7-23-2005 by Sharksbaja]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-23-2005 at 07:35 PM

Should bring this whole subject back up,since it's of a lot of interest to all Loreto residents. I've a lot of friends that look at this venture as a kind of pyramid scheme. Get people's money to start the next part of the project. Any thoughts on that ???
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2005 at 09:56 PM

They're doing a damn good job of getting people's money. Getting in early is at a discounted price. Those that get in early on a project that works out end up getting a good deal. Risky, but worth it if you do your homework.
friend of baja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2005 at 08:35 PM

Jr wrote "How many more dupes are going to put their money into the destruction of an environment?
And how much environment will be destroyed in the process of bilking these people looking for a slice of paradise that is disappearing because of their ignorance.
The developers won't care on their way to the bank, that's for damn sure!"

son. You have characteristically displayed all 3 in this one post.

[Edited on 7-26-2005 by BajaNomad]
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2005 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Should bring this whole subject back up,since it's of a lot of interest to all Loreto residents. I've a lot of friends that look at this venture as a kind of pyramid scheme. Get people's money to start the next part of the project. Any thoughts on that ???

Actually that's the way every development I've seen anywhere be it US or Mexico works. The early sales provide cash for more development.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2005 at 09:53 PM
Friend of Baja hahahahahahaha

This was a thread from a long time ago. Obviously you missed it. I'm pretty much done with discussing this project as I got bored with it a while back.
You on the other hand, being a "friend of Baja" should by all means fill everyone in on what's really going on with your vast knowledge.:lol:
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 11:04 AM
Hard facts??

Dear Loreto Bay, Darlene Tate, Friend of Baja, et al:

While I agree that most of the criticism of the Villages project that I?ve read on this forum lately is ill informed and vague, I too have some uneasiness about it all. You could help me, and probably some others who read it, get more comfortable if you would publish here some hard facts. I don?t mean more press-release snippets or sales-brochure hype. I mean HARD facts.

A short wish list for factual reassurance might include:

Location of desal plant.
Source of power for same.
Salt disposal and heat dissipation scheme.
Ground-breaking DATE for same.
Type of eco-friendly power generation. Wind, solar, geo.
Location of power plant, windmill farm, solar array, etc.
Cost comparison with existing.
Ground breaking DATE for same.
Traffic impact figures for the Loreto/Nopol? corridor and mitigation plans.

What I think is most troubling is the absence in any definitive How, When, Where in what otherwise sound like right-thinking development ideas. I think that if you can address your more thoughtful critics head on with answers to these types of questions they will feel better about what is taking place. As far as the few who just vent spleen about Caboizing the peninsula, well, what can I say.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 03:31 PM

I was in the San Diego airport in june, on my way to Loreto and overheard a group of people, in the bar of course, on their way to a "sales meeting" at Loreto bay. One comment heard.."we've sold 160 million and only built one house" followed by a round of laughter..............
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 05:52 PM

Phil C

I think that you may have summed it up in a proverbial nutshell

Therianthropic
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-25-2005 at 06:04 PM
But with brilliant minds like this

""**********************************************
son. You have characteristically displayed all 3 in this one post.",

working on their team, most will be intelligent enough to see through this scam , No? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-26-2005 by BajaNomad]
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.