Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  27
Author: Subject: Tropical Storm John
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 02:50 PM

A Mexican emergency official tries to convince a couple to abandon their makeshift home along the banks of a river in a poor community on the outskirts of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Thursday, Aug. 31, 2006, as Hurricane John nears. Police and military officials fanned out throughout the high risk, mostly poor communities to plead for residents to move to shelters on higher ground as the area awaits the arrival of Hurricane John. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 02:52 PM

Two children dry off after a bath in front of their makeshift home along the banks of a river in a poor community on the outskirts of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Thursday, Aug. 31, 2006, while a Mexican Civil Protection official, left, walks past. Police and military officials fanned out throughout the high risk, mostly poor communities to plead for residents to move to shelters on higher ground as the area awaits the arrival of Hurricane John. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:04 PM

David K, part of my final preparations this morning were to dress for the day in my swimsuit & shorts! Has come in handy the many times I've been called to the fence by my neighbors...last request was for a small bird cage so they could take a pigeon with a broken wing inside.

Lencho, nice to know that I was sharing that awesome display with someone!

Sad to say, but I agreed with Jesse before he stated it, I too believe John's coming up the SOC, but even if we're wrong....from the satellite pics & previous experience from Juliet to present, I think the entire southern portion of the Baja, both sides are in for a really wild ride before this is over. I personally don't have shutters or plywood & have a MAJOR amount of glass....I leave all my sliders & windows open 1/4" to help reduce the wind pressure on all the glass. Really reduces the visible flex in the glass & I figure it's easier mopping up some water than it is cleaning up broken glass & water! I also tape windows in hope that if there is breakage, it will remain a little more contained. Also blocked my big garage door 1/2" off the floor to relieve wind presure on that bayside large expanse.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:05 PM

That is so sad. those two little ones are at so much risk. We can only hope their parants listen.

This shows the big wobble andI don't see anyway that it will not go up the SOC.
http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ep200611.asp#a_topad

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:10 PM

Update as of 4pm Friday, local Cabo time from a buddy of mine who lives in downtown Cabo...
Still just rain and light wind. As I write the wind has started to howl a bit. Streets are pretending to be little rivers but looking more like lakes. Nick San was open this afternoon and so was the Giggling Marlin. Looks like the eye is headed to the northeast toward San Jose so we may be spared the highest winds. Should last through the better part of the night as the storm has slowed down a bit. Checked on the house with Fern about an hour ago and all is well. The next 5 hours will tell the story though. I'll try to write again before the power undoubtedly goes out.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:22 PM

those pictures of los ninos are heart breaking. guess our clinic trip to lopez mateos next weekend may be off cause that runway gets inundated when the chubasco rains hit. we lost 5 clinics this year thx to the cannery strike's closing of the runway, then we saw like 5oo people in a weekend cause so mANY were hurtin from lack of visits.............this is going to be a rough fall seASON for many.

wONDER IF THE AVERAGE mex national gives 2 hoots about "global warming" when we have up close and personal REAL WX!!!!

Al "Bore", you are a pin head.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:25 PM
Wunderblog

One of the weather underground's meteorologists is predicting that the East Cape will suffer the most damage from the eye wall.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?en...
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:42 PM

Hook

You better reread that blog, I read that it will miss Cabo and San Jose by his prediction. Satellite imagery now shows it basically past Cabo more even W/San Jose and not going in yet, my estimate would be landfall at frailles.

of John's current track suggest it will move up the relatively sparsely populated east side of the Baja Peninsula, sparing the resort towns of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo the worst of the eyewall's winds.

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:42 PM

CNN just showed another wobble and the eye now appears to be skirting SJDC I know nothing about hurricanes so this is only my opinion, but the eye is now farther east.
There is a big yellow/ red thingy over La Paz now.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Hook

You better reread that blog, I read that it will miss Cabo and San Jose by his prediction. Satellite imagery now shows it basically past Cabo more even W/San Jose and not going in yet, my estimate would be landfall at frailles.

I read it perfectly. He said it would miss those areas but the vicious eye wall would likely cause damage on the east side of the peninsula. That's the East Cape. Look where the shear of the eyewall is approaching the coast.

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by Hook]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:49 PM

Al

That yellow you see is rain, cool plant loving rain.

Hook It says sparing Cabo & SJ. the way I read it.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

wONDER IF THE AVERAGE mex national gives 2 hoots about "global warming" when we have up close and personal REAL WX!!!!

Al "Bore", you are a pin head.

Global Warming results in more frequent and more intense hurricanes. You didn't have to see An Inconvenient Truth to know that. I think the average Mexican does care about the amount of hydrocarbons released in the USA when they have to deal with a hurricane like John.

But let's concentrate this thread on getting our friends in Baja Sur through this disaster rather than inane political statements.

Stay safe and stay well Baja Sur buddies.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:55 PM

Uh oh... Los Frailes, El Jefe, Mr. Chuck hang on!

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t6/sloop-vis.html

Movie of hurricane

oxxo said:
"I think the average Mexican does care about the amount of hydrocarbons released in the USA when they have to deal with a hurricane like John.

But let's concentrate this thread on getting our friends in Baja Sur through this disaster rather than inane political statements."

I am wondering: How come hydrocarbons released by Russia, China, Bulgaria, etc. don't matter?

Because they don't pollute as much as the U.S., you say?They don't feed most of the world, either!

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Al

That yellow you see is rain, cool plant loving rain.

Hook It says sparing Cabo & SJ. the way I read it.

The East Cape is NOT Cabo and SJ.

Actually, we are agreeing, just not on the definition of East Cape.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 03:57 PM

Hook

Sorry I misread your post.

Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 04:05 PM

we live in Buena Vista which is North of San Jose. We've had rain all day long. The winds are getting stronger, the sea is very ugly. Since we live right on the water we're very concerned. We are boarded up tight, on the Sea side. Now it's just wait and see what Mother Nature has in store for us. It might come across very close to us here in the buena Vista/Los Barriles area. It's not a pleasant time right now for any of us. The good thing if there is a good thing is all the great people out there are saying those prayers and sending alll those good thoughts our way.. we know everyone is with us on this one. So thanks for all the good thoughts keep them up we're going to need them over the next few hours. It's 5:00 PM now so we have our fingers crossed it gets over before it's dark.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 04:15 PM

Dear Bill Collector... keep posting as long as possible... best of luck to you!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 04:17 PM

Would one of you brave souls run over to the Buenas Aires RV park.. space #12 and tie an anchor to my trailer and palapa... I have been at the Las Vegas airport for 36 hours trying to get down... if you see any of my stuff blowing by....well.....
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 04:19 PM

May God Protect You All!!
I am here at my Computer reliving Hurricane Lisa {1976} as I sat in a Motorhome in Loreto .

Please remember my Amigos the Aftermath of the Raging Waters can be as Dangerous as the Wind!!!

We, here in the States need to begin to think "How can we Help our Amigos in Baja??

Many Mexicano People will be in Need as well
This storm is very much like Lisa 30 years ago soexpect the worse, No Roads open for Days.

I have a Truck and 18 Ft. Trailer That I can load with Supplies and try to get across the Ferry at Guyamas or Topolobompo La Paz if it will be allowed.
When the Water Hits Constitution, then the Mountains above Loreto, Mulege, Sta Rosialla, Hwy 1 will be closed for weeks, as well as to the South.

Hang on Jesse; Have you checked on Lera?

Skeet
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
One of the weather underground's meteorologists is predicting that the East Cape will suffer the most damage from the eye wall.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?en...

I'm confused.....this guy repeatedly refers to John as a SMALL hurricane. From the sat pics I've been watching for the past few days, it looks friggin HUGE to me. It appears to be spanninng an area of at least 8-10 times the width of the peninsula. Is he only referring to the eye?? And the peripheral damage potential adjacent to the eye?
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  27

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.