BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  21
Author: Subject: UPDATE -***FULL CIRCLE - CHIEF RESIDENT OPERATES ON UNCLE ALEX - The Little Girl Who Woluld Become a Brain Surgeon (Chapter 4...
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 10:29 AM

Emilia to me
show details Jun 17 (2 days ago)
Hi,
Im sorry it has taken me soo long to write to you,
The truth is that I have been very busy and doing the same thing over and over again.
School is good, I only have one final exam this Saturday and I will be done with second semester.
This has been a good year, the only bad thing has been my health, it haven’t been excellent, first the flu, then the flu then allergy, anyway, I have been ok, and my anemia is no longer there I guess this happened because I didn’t really took care of myself last semester, that is why this one I did sleep more, and eat better, and TRY to stress less.
It was all good.

I will be sending my grades to you next week when I have them all. Biomath was the hardest, maybe because I’m not good at math, maybe because it had nothing to do with medicine, my teacher will ask me, that if a car left some specific place at some specific time, and another car left the same specific place, but at a different time……. Bla bla, and I will be thinking about bacterial infections treatment, it made it harder. No excuse, it was just hard for me.

I will be going to Mulege very soon, next week, and that makes me very very happy, I miss my family and friends a lot, I miss the sea everyday too, I want to go swimming so bad.
Thank you very much for your patient, and for keeping up with me in this the most wonderful journey of my life, medical school.

Thank you very much for you support, you are the reason why this is all possible.
God bless you.
Emilia.

[Edited on 6-20-2011 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 01:23 PM

thanks Comitan ! That is wonderful news ..she is a star and it is terrible that she had anemia ... imagine how tired she must have been ... the ocean and family and friends will do wonders for her ... she is lucky to have us but we are also lucky to have her too, eh ? I agree with her, Math was soooooooooooo hard for me too. Nothing to do with the profession I chose.

g-o-o-o-o-o Emy !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 01:44 PM

maxx...check your u2u..m.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 08:30 AM

So glad she made it, and can now enjoy some much needed rest. Emilia, congratulations.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 09:11 AM

So is it time to talk next semester's tuition again? I'm ready.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 02:12 PM
Mike - When I get the details I'll let you know if tuition help is necessary

That is why the news is exciting. (Hint - scholarship)
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2011 at 05:20 PM
THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT EMILIA WON A COVETED SCHOLARSHIP!

When we began to help Emilia last year it was because she was not one of the 300 students picked out of 10,000 applicants for a state scholarship. After two heartbreaking attempts the third time was the charm and she passed the exam with very high numbers.

This new scholarship reduces the tuition need from 50,000 pesos to 5,000 a semester. The tuition doesn't cover living expenses, books and such. The generous support of the Mulege Bomberos Fishing Tournament and other fantastic patrons (you know who you are and how easy it is going to be for you to pass through the Pearly Gates ;D) will go a long ways to keeping Emilia in housing and Top Ramen.

Thank you everybody for your support of one of Mulege's best and brightest.

Emilia has written a letter of thanks to all of you and I will get her permission to post it here because it is a very heartfelt thank you.

Peace,

Maxx.
akmaxx
Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-23-2011 at 10:28 AM
A letter from La Doctora explaining the trials associated with being so damn smart

Its been a year since I first wrote a letter for you, do you remember? I remember very well and I want to tell how your early support has made all the difference.

In this year many things have happened. For example I finished my first year of medical school, thanks to you and you contribution to this cause. I moved from my small hometown, Mulege to the big city of Guadalajara. I made a lot of good friends, met a lot of both good and bad people, is a life changing year for me.

I applied to a public program of medical school in one of the most prestigious schools of Mexico the University of Guadalajara and it took me three applications to be accepted. Let me explain this process better. The university of Guadalajara is one of the major medical schools and as you know it is very hard to be in their program. Every six months they accept 300 out of about 10,000 students that apply for their medical programs. The applications consider both your high school grades and the college board exam. You fill a form and they give you a date for your exam aplication and the exams seem like an easy ones, but they are not of course.

After a month, the results of the exam come out on an internet page and they tell you the results, then to know if you are "in" the program you sum your grades from high school, in my case %100 plus the exam 85.1667 and you have my total of 186.1667.

Every career has a different requirement for "points". For example nursing is 168, law school is 169, engineering school is 150 to 165 depending on the major (computers, cars, etc), but as you imagine, medicine is the one that requires the most points - at least 177.7778 points. This changes every year too according to the number of applications and how well they do on the exam, but it never changes too much is only one or two points up or down.

Now, the scholarship covers tuition, which was covered by you thanks to your contributions, 50,000.00 pesos every semester, once in the program you pay about 5,000 pesos in your first semester and less every year after. What it doesnt cover is: book, housing, food, transportation, uniform, and personal expenses. Still, having covered those 50,000.00 pesos is a great help, once you have been accepted you dont have to apply again you are there until you finish your internship.

My story is I finished high school and went to the school and take the exam but my first result was 70 on the exam and 100 on high school grades so 170.000 that is far from the 177.7778 I needed. I took the chance and started medical school anyway, thinking about applying again and getting better grades, but the second time ( last December) wasn't very different, I didn't sleep in 3 nights because I had anatomy exams and had I don't know how much coffee to stay awake the morning of my exam. The results where terrible 65.7789, even farther from the first application. I felt devastated, sad and dissapointed in myself. I felt I will never be in the program, the difference this time is that I had a whole classroom who felt the same way I did. All my friends applied and only two earned enough points to be in the program.

I decided to sleep first, cry my eyes out, and then do something about it. Because surely I was doing something wrong. The exam is about math, writing skills and they say mostly about logic. So when I got back to Guadalajara I went to extra math classes in addition to my medical school. My schedule was - go to med school from 7 a.m. in the morning to 5 p.m, then run to take the bus, go around the city and start the AVANZA ( that is where they teach extra math classes) classes until 8 p.m. Then I would take another bus and walk some blocks to my place, eat something, at 9 start reading and studying. I thought it will make it easier to pass the exam and although I was feeling very tired most of the time (from undiagnosed anemia) I learned a lot and did very well in both schools.

On May 21st I had to take my 3rd exam. I was very nervous and during the exam I felt it was a harder one then the other times with more math. When I finished my best friend was outside waiting for me and asked me how I did? I said terrible, I felt it was very hard, I went back to my place and prayed that this time will be different.

When the results came out, I was shaking but I knew I had to see them. I opened the page and saw it, there it was, my dream coming true and being even better than I thought. 85.1667 points combined with my high school grades equals 185.1667 points, which was more than the 177.7778 I needed. So now I am in the program and happier than ever.

As I told you before it only covers part of what studying in Guadalajara coasts, but it is a great help. Living in guadalajara is great but not cheap but I have to find a new place to live because the new campus I will be going to is about an hour away from where I live and that equals two hours of sleep or studying everyday which is a lot in student time. The books are expensive too, but you need them very much because you live sleep and dream about them. They become part of your life. I read about five big books every semester. This next semester I will have genetics class Pathology, Phyisiopathology, Pharmacology, Public Health, and Patient Researc, among others. I need to find a place that is near school because it is cheaper than buying a car and I can study more.

It was a little sad to see my friends faces as we all checked the results. In my class of 30, I was the only accepted into the program but the good thing is that most of them are doctors children and can afford the private level of tuition.

This is my story of an unforgettable year. I hope you stay with me, living my dream, seeing this happen. I wish you let me be part of your life still, tell you how things are going, what I learn and stumble into in the 5 years I have left for school. You will always be a great part of my life and I will always remember who helped me through the hardest and most beautiful part of my life.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate what you have done for me with every donation and in every letter you read and wrote to me. You helped me get through it and for that me and my family will always be thankful.

Sincerely,
Emilia
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 6-23-2011 at 12:56 PM

This is absolutely fabulous news!!!!!! Great job Emilia!! You can be assured that we will continue to support you. Thank you for doing such a great job and proving you are worth every peso. You make your city proud!!

John
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2011 at 01:24 PM

what a story ... what an ordeal ... and how proud we can all be !!!

imagine being one out of 30 and it was that extra effort that paid off ... how utterly fantastic.

thanks for including us all in this amazing journey ... I sure hope we get to meet Emy one day. Hopefully OUTSIDE of a hospital, though ...

:lol:

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 6-23-2011 at 01:25 PM

Another long ball, over the fence, home run w/bases loaded!! We don't see great stuff like this very often.

I spent some time w/Emi before she started in Guadalajara this last July-August going over budgets and how she would make the stretch over the several years of substantial private tuition expense. Fact is it wouldn't have worked, until...

Nomads jump in and make it a possibility, which is all we can do.
I love it, I absolutely love it, when that's all that's needed, and then pure grim, focused determination takes over in a student's heart & mind. Our faith in Emi was (and is) well placed.

I'm going to have a martini tonight. And then, maybe a second.

[Edited on 6-23-2011 by EngineerMike]

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 04:28 PM
La Doctora lays it out right here

How are you now days? I haven't forget about you, I have just been very busy studying for next semester and preparing to do even better.
>
As I informed you in the last email I made a great exam and earned a prized scholarship. I want you to enjoy this great success as much as me so I am attaching a picture of the report where it shows my score (185.1667 - Like an "A" over the 177.83 - Like an "A-") needed for the good student scholarship. I couldn't be happier with the results.
>
You have been the reason I believed in my dreams and are realizing them. Every year, in every little town, there are kids like me with dreams and expectations willing to go out and change the world in some way. Then comes reality (or at least what we see as such). Reality tears all those dreams apart because when you want to change the world and haven't eaten it gets hard to think.
>
During the very short school summer break I realized something very deep, sad, and weird - I don't know how my family can possibly keep me in rice and beans while I study all the time.

Being back home a year later and seeing everything I have always loved so much with new eyes has made me see the reality of a hard situation. There are no economical sources, there are no customers at my parents place now (Restaurant Pancho Villa's), there are very few people in Mulege, and everyone can't help but wonder what the next flood is going to take away from us. Most of my classmates from high school are pregnant, some for the second time, some are fishing and surviving, mournfully, even in my own family. When I think of the opportunity I have in front of me, to become a doctor and to be able to help them up, it gives me hope and comfort. I am meant to be very successful in order to help my family, my loved ones, and people who have dreams just like you have done for me. You have been giving me the opportunity to change the world, my world, our world, and I will not stop ever. I will not let down my family, my town, or you.
>
But for that to continue I still need your help. I need you to help me became the person who can help others.
>
My needs are the one that every student has; books, food, a place to sleep, and a bus pass.
>
Additional scholarships are so rare in Mexico. I have been researching every internet page for possibilities and nothing, at least nothing for me. Nothing for medical students in Mexico except for offers after you graduate. Still I need to eat, a place to sleep, and sadly my family can't give me monthly money.

I have been very lucky to have some kind sponsors like the Mulege Fishing Tournament, International Rotary, and you which allowed to win the coveted tuition scholarship but my meager living expenses still run 1,200 pesos ($110) a month short and I cannot pay the reduced scholarship tuition, books, and materials of 9,700 pesos ($890) every semester. Guadalajara is an expensive city and I am saving everywhere I can. I live on 6,800 pesos ($610) a month which is about 1,200 ($110) pesos short of the minimum to keep me in school. I hate to keep asking but until I can pay my own way I am dependent on the kindness of others.
>
So I am asking you again for help. In return whatever you help me with will help many others over the years. I cry to think that I have made it so far, done so well, and a few thousand pesos will put it out of my reach.

Gracias Muchisimas y God bless you,

La Doctora Emilia

P.S. The easiest and least expensive way to donate is through my sponsors Paypal account (egvbuckovecs@gmail.com) marked as "Gift" which it truly is. Thank you again and again.

[Edited on 7-12-2013 by akmaxx]
akmaxx
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 8-4-2011 at 04:33 PM
WOW - Fingers on the donation triggers.....Up $200 already Thanks JW and CP

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 06:53 PM

we'll be there for her, maxx..count on it!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 06:59 PM
GT, JW, JB, and RB shoot the total up to $650...Many thanks

Lord, keep me from crying tears of joy.

Looking forward to your input Mulegemichael and sexy Beachgirl:tumble:

Peace..........
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 09:59 PM
That's our girl...

Its Thursday night, almost 11 pm:
Emelia just posted on Facebook that she's back in Guadalajara and has already hit the books-- drinking tea and studying physiology "Because I have to study a lot in order to be the great doctor I want to be, and even tho I scored a 93 out of 100 last semester in physiology I just dont think I know enough 8-) ."

I know she's going to continue to excel.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
aimee76

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 10:40 PM

WHATBAN ENCOURAGING STORY. i AM PROUD OF ALL OF THOSE WHO HAVE HELPED THIS YOUNG WOMAN. i AM NOBODY i KNOW BUT STILL VERY PROUD.......BE BLESSED A HUNDREDFOLD................i CAN TELL FROM YEARSOF DEALING WITH SCAMMERS THIS GIRL IS FOR REAL!

GOD bLESS HER.........AND I WILL FWD THIS TO MY SUPPORTERS AROUND THE WORLD.................
YA'LL ARE ALRIGHT.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 10:41 PM
Thanks to DS and RL we are moving right along with $875

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 08:10 AM

$100 from me.

Come visit La Bocana

wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 09:26 AM

I'm kind of dense. Remind me how to donate please.
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.