Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12
Author: Subject: SEE UPDATE: Stolen Boat & Trailer
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 07:49 AM

Latina~You have followed your instinct and your heart through all of this and I think you should stick with that. Do whatever feels right to you and that will be the best decision. That being said I wonder what the law is in Mex about getting stolen property back that has been purchased by someone. I know of a case where I live in CA. of an estate jewelry store unknowingly buying stolen property and they were NOT obligated to give it back to the owners. The owners had to buy it back. I think that if the thief had been arrested and convicted the store owner would then have had to give the items back to the rightful owner and go after the the defendant(thief) for restitution. Good luck with all this.

slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 08:50 AM

Follow your heart. If the buyer is in need of the boat and taking it away from him will devastate his family's source of revenue then perhaps letting him keep it. He however must testify in your behalf while you seek out punishment and compensation against Mr. Connelly. He should not only fincially pay for your loss and damages, he will pay his time in the mexican jail system. Their are two victims now You and the new boat owner.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 09:19 AM

I'm glad you finally know what happened to your property. Get that M...F’r but good. In conjunction with law enforcement intervention he needs a good A.. whipping and I mean a good one. The kind where several bones are broken, then, maybe he will get the hint. And of course I do not condone violence...Yea right!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by latina
Jim Connolly must have a raft of blank documents that he is altering to suit his needs.

latina,
comments like this reveal your biased, perhaps jilted-girlfriend status -- makes me think you are telling tales that suit yourself.

where is evidence he has done this other times? a "raft" of documents? you indicate he is still doing this or has done it elsewhere. evidence? or just another anonymous allegations?

honestly, your boat looks like it was worth all of $2,000. the story makes no sense. why would the alleged perp go to such lengths for a dinghy with outboards?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 09:25 AM

Thank you for updating us about the outcome. Intriguing final chapter! If the new buyer is honest and cooperative, maybe you and he can come to a stipulated settlement (signed document) whereby he can compensate you over time - make payments to a sum certain. Just a thought.
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 10:39 AM

mtgoat666, with all the stupid, nasty comments you've made on this thread toward latina you sound like the jilted one. Or maybe your Jim Connolly...... By the way your getting really boring:yawn:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Jim Connolly must have a raft of blank documents that he is altering to suit his needs.

latina,
comments like this reveal your biased, perhaps jilted-girlfriend status -- makes me think you are telling tales that suit yourself.

where is evidence he has done this other times? a "raft" of documents? you indicate he is still doing this or has done it elsewhere. evidence? or just another anonymous allegations?

honestly, your boat looks like it was worth all of $2,000. the story makes no sense. why would the alleged perp go to such lengths for a dinghy with outboards?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 10:50 AM

DK's gonna be around shortly to give a quote-box seminar. :lol:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 11:02 AM

goat is gone loco, theres just no other way to put it, or hes jim connellys lover or something.

latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 11:18 AM

Thanks for the support. "mtgoat666" thinks he's a devil's advocate. That's why he is always offering up his opinions to the contrary of all logic.

Just so you all know, Jim Connolly sold our boat and trailer for $9000us cash. We paid him $750us for the boat transport and $100us to put him up in a hotel. We have paid $450us to an attorney/translator to have all the documents (titles, bills of sale) translated from english to spanish. Aside from all the time and anxiety, the cost of staying 5 nights in San Diego waiting on him to arrive with our boat and trailer, and three trips to Cabo San Lucas to the police station, Jim Connolly has cost us well over $10,000!
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 11:40 AM

Latina- I have followed this thread from the beginning and have not made a comment. I would now like to make my opinion public- your comment that taking the boat back from the new owner- a person who appears to be honest- would financially hurt the new owner (more than the benefit you would receive by taking the boat back) shows a lot about your character. Good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people. I would much prefer to be in your shoes than in Jim Connellys!!
surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 11:56 AM

Latina,

I believe you said that Jim Connoly has a F350 4X4, at least that was the truck I was looking for. If so, what would be the legal possibility of you seizing his truck if he is caught in Baja to hold against $$ owed ?

And I also agree you are a solid couple for thinking of the other party in terms of possession of the boat.

Good luck in the future.....

[Edited on 5-1-2011 by surfdoc]
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 11:59 AM

Quote:

It is not that simple anymore. The new owner will suffer more financially if we take back the boat, than we will if we don't.
[Edited on 5-1-2011 by latina]

Wow....you are indeed #1 in my books here. Consideration of the other party over your own loss. Not much of this is seen these days. Good for you.....

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 01:35 PM

McFez- I would agree that "consideration of the other party" isn't seen a lot these days but it still happens (probably more than we realize.) In 2001 I was a realtor and represented a young couple in their first home purchase. About 3 years later the couple called me and said they were going thru a divorce and needed to sell the property. Unfortunately, they had taken out a line of credit (2nd mortgage) on the home to go on vacation etc. The combined loan balances were about equal to the value of the home. I told them that I would sell the home for free. (They had stopped making payments on both mortgages.) We got lucky and found a cash buyer. The buyer would do a quick closing but wouldn't pay full price. In order for the deal to work the sellers would have to bring about $2700 to closing. As a divorcing young couple they were living paycheck to paycheck and didn't have any savings. I didn't want to see this young couple further damage their credit and have the home go to foreclosure so I agreed to give them the $2700 that they needed to close. I made it clear that the money was not a loan. We successfully closed the sale and as we walked out of the closing room the sellers tearfully thanked me for the gift etc. About a week after closing I received a call from the groom's dad. He said his son had explained what I had done and the dad wanted to make it right. He said he didn't have the cash but could pay me $50 or $75 a month until the loan had been repaid. I thanked the dad for the call but explained the money I had paid at closing was a gift and not a loan. The father's voice cracked and he said "God bless you" and the phone went dead. Fast forward to June 2006 and a deposit of $15000 appeared in my business checking account. I called the bank to inquire about the error and was told the deposit was made with a generic deposit slip, in cash, with a handwritten note that said "Thank you, Ron." I believed that the money had been credited to my account in error and told the bank manager to call me when the rightful owner called about his missing deposit. 10 days after the deposit I received an envelope postmarked in Argentina. Inside was a letter from the father. He said he had deposited $15000 into my account. He said the deposit was to cover a waived commission on the sale of a house and a favor I had done for his son. He underllined the sentence that said the $15000 was a gift and could not be repaid!! Other than the postmark, there was no return address or any other information. If the father is a member of BajaNomad let me say thanks!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 01:44 PM

Great story. Thanks.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 01:58 PM

Told you they´re good people.

latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 03:07 PM

Thank you for all your kind comments. That is a great story absinvestor.

I am not sure how one would go about seizing property to pay restitution in Mexico, Surfdoc. I guess we will never know until he is found and arrested.
slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 05:29 PM

Goat is a criminal's dream as a potential jury member. I know people like this always thinking the opposite of rational thought. Nothing is for sure and nothing for certain. Decisions take forever and nothing gets done.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 05:34 PM

Ever see a squirrel in the middle of the road? You never know which way he's gonna go. Sometimes he just dithers around and gets run over. Sorta reminds me of liberals.;)
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 10:17 PM

Latina, you and your family did nothing wrong either nor should you suffer the loss. You have nothing to feel guilty for in recovering your property and I doubt that anyone else on this board would kiss $9,000 away not counting your other expenses.

Crooks and thefts always harm more than just those they orginally steal from or do wrong to. Wrongful acts do not make the victim become the person needing to make others wronged whole from something that was done illegally to them. You can't feed the entire world and you can't be responsible for crooks illegal actions to you and others they cheat along their criminal path.

Use the court system in Mexico and let the Judge make the call on you getting your boat back. Again, you are not responsible even though you are concerned for another victim. The real problem here is did this jerk also sell the boat to someone else that hasn't come forward yet too?? Take Care & Travel Safe----- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 06:16 AM

Use the court system in Mexico? The boat will be an antique before you get any satisfaction from the Mexican legal system.
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.