Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  99    101    103  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 03:01 AM

I think I'm past the point of spending any more concern with this subject. Honestly, I couldn't care less what happens with this car. At this point, it's meaningless, as is any further discussion or speculation on the issue.
The rest is a foregone conclusion that, for me, has been resolved long ago.
It's time to move on.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 04:01 AM

Pretty much what I have decided, Dennis. Something has been "off" with this whole thing since the start....

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 04:37 AM

Abandon the car! You are delaying the body search for a stupid car???
If you want a few personal things from the car, take them (you have a spare key, right?)
I don't understand your priorities. After this delay, why do you even want the car back?

P.s. Obviously, you are getting nowhere doing this by phone. You will likely accomplish more in person. Just go there and do it. Sorry, this will take more than a 3-day weekend, Settling an estate is inconvenient, can't be reduced to a short trip.
tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 05:48 AM

That car must have some serious stash in it or ??? Or at least I hope so, never seen so much concern over a $2500 Toyota vs. a man's life.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:01 AM

My concern is more for the family trying to recruit Nomads in the unforgiveable heat without safety checks, i.e. the cowboy locals who know the area and can do preliminary searches without endangering others in an area where it is obviously easy to get lost as per Ron Hoff Gomez. No answers as to what happened to these guides nor answers concerning SPOT or GPS equipment. Anyone who would go searching without either the rancher, guides AND SPOT is asking for the same fate as Gary. Yes, go down there and find out in person WHY the police is always on vacation and maybe it's time to go down in person to enlist the help of the Federales or the main branches of the police such as San Quintin. None of this can be done without going down there. It's obvious that the police will not release the car to a Nomad so they can't help you and it's not their responsibility to take on without the family. All the conversations to date concerning this situation and Desert Rat have at least taught me that to go hiking and even driving off the main highways are foolhardy without SPOT or someone who knows the area like the back of their hand.

[Edited on 6-11-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:09 AM

Doc, they aint even going there....Get it?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
maybe it's time to go down in person to enlist the help of the Federales or the main branches of the police such as San Quintin.

That would, for certain, put an end to this car nonsense because they would immediately impound the vehicle and that would be it.
Good idea.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:13 AM

It's been clear for some time that recovering the body has not been a high priority.

PS. Thank you for your patience nomads.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

If you want a few personal things from the car, take them (you have a spare key, right?)

Last we heard the car is sitting there unlocked. Hope that camera isn't in plain view.

[Edited on 6-11-2014 by Ateo]

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:43 AM

We don't know the intent of why the family doesn't want to travel down to Mexico on a long weekend. They probably enlisted the help of Nomads because they don't feel comfortable in Baja. However, through the course of the conversations we have had, it has become highly evident to me of the dangers of exploring off-road and to subject Nomads to these dangers without proper precautions and safety checks is not acceptable. I believe the person posting as a representative of the family is not going to make the trip, we don't know why but it could be health reasons. I believe Gary's family does truly care about Gary, but everyone must remind themselves that Baja is STILL pioneer country and uncharted territory so to speak for most Americans living north of the Border. Many Mexicans that live in the US now do not want to even travel south of the Border. So I don't think it is all because of selfish reasons. Because we all have been to Baja or want to be in Baja at one point doesn't mean that everyone is in the same mindset. So cut the family some slack, I am sure they grieve over the loss of their ex-husband, brother and father on a daily basis.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:46 AM

Hey DENNIS, what I AM surprised about is your post at 2 am. Don't you religiously shut down your computer at 9 pm?
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
maybe it's time to go down in person to enlist the help of the Federales or the main branches of the police such as San Quintin.

That would, for certain, put an end to this car nonsense because they would immediately impound the vehicle and that would be it.
Good idea.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:55 AM

Doc, for someone who has NEVER been in Baja back country, you sure are posing as an expert...You need to actually GO to Baja sometime. Yes I know Ensenada is geographicly in BCN, but it is NOT the Baja we are talking about. Try it sometime, you might learn something......There has never been any sense of urgency regarding actually looking for Gary, never. Why start now? Stick a fork in this, its done....

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 08:11 AM

I am not posing as anything Chuckie, Ron Hoff was on this thread stating the fact that he had a GPS in the same area as Gary and he almost got lost. I have made that clear several times that I am drawing on his experience. I have hiked in the back country but I don't need to give you my resume on where, I have been south of Ensenada and I have hiked in remote areas. But I never said I was an expert. I think the family doesn't like Baja or doesn't like doing Baja without assistance. I have no doubt in my mind that considering the description of Gary who appeared to be a very nice guy that they miss him horribly.
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Doc, for someone who has NEVER been in Baja back country, you sure are posing as an expert...You need to actually GO to Baja sometime. Yes I know Ensenada is geographicly in BCN, but it is NOT the Baja we are talking about. Try it sometime, you might learn something......There has never been any sense of urgency regarding actually looking for Gary, never. Why start now? Stick a fork in this, its done....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 08:49 AM

I gotta side with the pattons here. I see no sense of urgency, they realize the chances of finding gary are slim, heck they don't even know if he was ever there. if I were them I would abandon plans for a search, why put others in danger and spend alot of money to find remains that will just open a whole new can of worms! assuming he was even found.
as for the car, obviously alot of you folks are financially waaay better off than me. its still a nice 3rd generation 4runner worth at least six thousand bucks, that may be peanuts to you folks but it would sure look good in MY bank account.
thats my take. and anyone who wants to bow out of following this story, im sure thats fine with the pattons!:yes:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 09:11 AM

The longer they wait the less likely they will find his remains.

So yes, there is a 'sense of urgency'.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

thats bullchit. if he's there in june he'll be there in october!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:

"Ashes to ashes...dust to dust."

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 02:52 PM

I think one thing we can all agree on is : Trying to do things in Baja by phone is nearly impossible. If the family wants to get the items from the car they really need to just go down in person, talk to the federales/authorities in San Quintin . Getting items from the car , such as the camera, may give some clues as to Gary's last location. There are two issues here: getting personal belongings, and based on any info therein, THEN they can decide when and if they launch any kind of search. Somebody/somebodies are dragging their feet in Catavina and my guess is NOTHING will get done without a personal visit and some insistence. Bringing someone with them who is fluent is Spanish would also help. my experience has been you have to make personal contact , and politely but firmly insist that you need the items from the vehicle. I would not be a bit surprised if they show up in Catavina that ole Arturo lo and behold is actually there or not far away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by azucena
If the family wants to get the items from the car they really need to just go down in person, talk to the federales/authorities in San Quintin .

It has been mentioned the Feds and state judiciales aren't involved in this case....Gary, or the car. They no doubt are aware of it, but, probably for lack of evidence pointing to fowl play, have chosen to leave it alone.
If they get pestered [for lack of a better term] to the point of getting involved, the car will be impounded and everything will come to a dead end. Nobody wants to interfere with their investigation.
At this point, it's questionable whether or not the Catavina cops will readily give up the vehicle. If anyone in the chain of command has taken a liking to it, it's history. The family couldn't get it back with a gun in their hand.
I've seen all this sheit happen before.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:

At this rate they'll need a paleontologist, not a detective, to find his remains.
 Pages:  1  ..  99    101    103  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.