Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  106    108    110  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
I am working on a few ways to raise funds to keep something going and soon (with much prodding from friends of mine). One is simply a donation page (see plumfund.com and search Gary's name),

...thanks for filling in some details

....a hopeful way to get some closure,,or at least send condolances,,,, here's a direct link to the fundraiser page...... http://www.plumfund.com/pf/zp5op

.....all the best!

[Edited on 7-16-2014 by micah202]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 07:20 PM

Hi all, got this today from Kim:

Dearest Nomads,
Let me first thank all of you for your generous donations! I will be setting up an email group distribution and try to respond to each of you. I apologize that I got behind, did not expect your prompt replies. I'll be catching up soon.
I want to dispute any presumption that there has been some other 'fund' for the family set up or that we took money from any nomads-- this is absolutely false, and if any of you gave money to any fund set up in Gary's name other than this new plum fund account, please share that information so they can be reported and exposed. The family has borne 'lost funds' in the form of running news ads, detective work, and 8 trips + expenses since Sept '13 ... other expenses all should be aware of were made by willing Nomads who bore the cost of copying flyers, driving around questioning folks, etc., coming forward to help us of your own free will, early on in this nightmare. I can only account for that with endearing gratitude.
Regarding the rancher: he was NOT paid or HIRED by the family to conduct a search on our behalf as if a business arrangement, that is not the case. Our family merely offered him copies of the flyer, contact information, and a very small stipend, meant as reimbursement to offset any costs he would incur to spend more time to look for Gary. We are certainly not in a position, nor should we be, of requesting some accounting from him given his kind efforts. He already incurred expense by getting the vehicle retrieved and calling us directly. And, turns out that he has few workers on his ranch.
Lastly, regarding this donation request, consider this more as if attending a funeral --if you gave to the family of the deceased, would you ask for an accounting? As things are, we are very nearly at that point, though we will not go there without evidence. There certainly is not any expectation of giving, we simply need money to run ads again and hire even 1 person to traverse the populated areas w/flyers again. I do promise to keep you all updated of news or progress. I need my Nomads in the loop.
Again, thank you so much for all your help. May life pay you a favor as you have to Gary ... best regards, K

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
May life pay you a favor as you have to Gary

this sentence sums it all up for all who have tried to help find Gary!!! thank you

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 09:35 AM

...good to hear an update from the Pattons,,and hopefully 'questions' have been answered,,
......I cannot think how tough these times have been for them--glad they're hanging in there.

...it'd be good to get on with supporting the family in whichever manner each person feels appropriate

[Edited on 7-24-2014 by micah202]
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 12:07 PM

Most touching words, Friends. Gives comfort to us all and reminds us to always do our best in life, give care and kindness whenever possible.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 05:44 PM

I'm sorry she feels she has to explain where they spent their own money. She owes not one single person here any explaination, accounting, or other justification.

Some people don't want to donate for whatever reason? Then they shouldn't. However, repeatedly demanding an accounting to which you have no right, in a thinly disguised attempt to discourage others from donating, is just plain wrong in my book.

Yes, though times for this family and I wish them strength and patience.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 01:55 AM

Update 8/1

Fellow Nomads:
Many, many thanks to all of you, for your support once again. I am so very grateful.
For now I am trying to negotiate an ad to run again with an updated status and plea for information. Hopefully, I can get free runs this time. We'll see.
Since in the summer it is extremely hot in the desert area near the car sighting, it may be good timing to ask Nomads for any friends, relatives, etc., that may be traveling to that area come fall, especially along the beaches and fishing sites, who could take along some photos of Gary, just to ask it he's been seen. (Refer to David K's excellent maps, pages 47-53 or so, from Punta Baja and north toward El Rosario or so.) So combing the inhabited areas where there's people not desolation. Gary could've gotten back those 10 miles or so with a ride, with help from someone.
A fellow Nomad on this site mentioned months ago the name of a family that lives closer to the beach, yet no one has checked in with that family, far as I know. I would request they be shown a photo, along with fishermen someone else mentioned that work off beach areas down there. As much as the family needs evidence, it seems more important to us to have exhausted all local folks and we cannot rely on the rancher we know because those areas are apparently too far from him (given horseback is his primary transportation on his ranch).
Lastly, I'll be working on finding an available young person(s) who may be wanting to earn a few dollars for their trouble while surfing down south,to interview as well so stay tuned for that, hopefully. I was told at some point in this nightmare that attorneys in Mexico are the source for P.I. work, detectives in general so if any of you have any contacts w/ attorneys practicing in Mexico, please send to Blanca or LL.
I still am considering offering a reward however it is too soon for that because there's nothing on hand to offer as yet. And, I am communicating with authorities to try to get evidentiary information that might lead somewhere though that will no doubt will take years, and will cost probably as well.
Once again, thank you Nomads all for your interest and caring in our ongoing dilemma finding Gary...... and just hanging in there w/me....
K

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 08:52 AM

Thanks for the update Blanca. Please send my regards to the family...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 09:10 AM

Not Punta Baja to El Rosario (that's only 10 miles). I think you mean Punta Blanco north? His 4Runner was found along the road from just north of Cataviña to Faro San José/Punta Canoas.

San José and Punta Canoas are both north of Punta Blanco and south of Punta Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 11:50 AM

After dropping off the battery at Cocos The Squarecircle, XRPhlang and I did the coastal route from Santa Rosalillita turning toward Catavina at San Jose for gas then back out to San Jose and up the coast to Punta Canoas then out to hwy 1 and El Rosario. While we were not looking for Gary we were aware of him and at the places we stopped and went by we did not see anyone looking like him. If we had given more forethought to it we could have handed out posters.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 12:16 PM

REC'D FROM KIM - 8/27/2014

Fellow Nomads,

I have taken on a full-time job and my posting updates are obviously fewer, but I assure you, that as the hot hot hot dry- scary summer months pass, I will provide a strategy to still find Gary.

You have all been so supportive and the plum funds will be used to pay expenses for someone dedicated that will comb the beach areas that I know Gary would've gone to, where he's gone years before, to find the someone who saw him, & can report anything back to us so that our family can get real evidence, now based from where his car was found.

I also have a very kind lady who has offered to help me get on some "missing person" list or radio/news communication out of Tijuana to repeat and update our story. And the generous folks at BajaTimes online will be helping us as well get another ad/article with an update and call-out for help, with the more specific coordinates of the car location as a reference this time.

With this very fortunate job opportunity that I never thought I would find again-- selling new and used office furniture (up to 80% off), it's truly a God-sent opportunity to replenish my loses .. though it is still so such a struggle to move on. I've resolved to do that, yet never forget, so there will be another effort, a renewed faith for news .. unrelentless to earn our desired result .. finding Gary.

DavidK has been instrumental in keeping my location reporting specific and true... thank you, DavidK. I will extract your mapping detail from earlier pages of reporting on this site to give to the bajatimes (only w/your permission, it's not vitally necessary because we do not need amateurs traveling there w/some publicity stunt in mind). A more generalized map w/out much road detail but definitely local resident recognition of the area would be perfect. So I will be working on these updates and if any of you can recommend more "publication" efforts, I am all ears. Probably the local newspapers as well, in spanish, will get done to.

So stay tuned folks, more to come ...God bless you all for your kind thoughts and regards, truly.

Come visit La Bocana

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 10:46 PM

Oh please use whatever you think will help... I didn't do much at all... I sure would have liked to see the rancher's place on Google Earth or Bing satellite, however. I just did not see a ranch anywhere near where we 'think' he found the 4Runner.

If anyone has a fix on a ranch near the possible location of the 4Runner, please let me know. Thanks.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 12:47 PM

Check 29-30.640x114-56.900. it is clearer on Bing.
Also 29-28.950x114-54.800
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 02:03 PM

About halfway between the San Jose road and the turnoff for the road where the truck was supposedly found is a small road heading SE----after a few hundred yards it crosses and dirt runway (hmmmmmm.......) and eventually comes to a ranch with a big green square plot of some kind of crop.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 02:43 PM

just past the green "salon/meeting building" the road forks if I remember correctly the left fork ends up at a little corral/ranch not too much past the salon.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
just past the green "salon/meeting building" the road forks if I remember correctly the left fork ends up at a little corral/ranch not too much past the salon.

Yeah, I think there's a few ranches down in the arroyo (Cuervito) there. We were thinking they were going to make that salon a cantina---just about the right spot for a cold one.:yes: In the early years there was a liquor license application displayed on the window.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 06:31 PM
Edited for direct paste onto satellite map sites

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Check 29º30.640', -114º56.900' (TW-1)

Also 29º28.950', -114º54.800' (TW-2)

Note the scale bar (2 miles) at bottom left.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 01:54 AM

You know it really is a crying shame that people are not willing to be more forthcoming or inquire further about the rancher, the exact location of the ranch and maybe even a map of the ranch itself and where the car was found. This all seems to be top secret information and no one wants to dole out any of this information which does not seem to help the situation at all. Why would it hurt at this point if we knew who the rancher was, and try to contact him? Is he a higher deity that it would be sacrilegeous to attempt to clarify the location and maybe get a few more pieces of information? Unless someone was sworn to secrecy...:cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 07:51 AM

The TW-2 ranch is quite impressive looking on GE. The TW-1 site is not, but GE images are not new.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 08:57 AM

My GE date is 1/25/14. Bing is a very sharp image.

Dr it's my understanding that the rancher is only at the ranch a couple of days a month and he is up in age. I don't think anything is top secret I just don't think he wants to be hounded for info he really doesn't have. He found the car and took it to his place and notified the cops which took it to town. He didn't see anything in the area of the car ie:body, so what could he add to the story? The place is not a mystery. A location was given such as go this many KMs turn right and go 10 KMs and road to left. The spot is not that difficult to find. The Canoas road is easy to find. I've been on it several times over the years just not lately since the coast road is better. If you have a high clearance vehicle go down there and ask at the local ranches and I'm sure one will tell you all they know about it. The only thing that hasn't been done is a local search but at this point in time I doubt anything other than maybe some bones would show up and that's if there are any in the area. It would be very difficult for anyone or a group to search on foot except along the road.

I'm going to take Coco a wheelchair next month and I'll come back thru Catavina and I'll drive down and take the road to Canoas. I'll take a picture of Gary with me and if I see or hear anything I'll report it.
 Pages:  1  ..  106    108    110  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.