BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13
Author: Subject: Graham Mackintosh: 'Marooned' on Isla Angel de la Guarda: 6-06 PHOTOS POSTED!
BOLABOUND
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was lost in deep BAJA

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 08:02 PM

Awesome report!

Thanks!

And I too have encountered some bad to the bone snakes that the hair on

the back of my neck spiked up like a dog ready fight. I was lucky to run

away from the scene but if I had to I would of killed that varmont snake.

Its all good folks!
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 08:47 PM

Please pass along to Graham a thank you for going into detail and defending himself.

Suggestion for next time, David, don't try to defend people, you don't do a very good job of it.

Like I've said here and in the 2003 thread referenced, if someone really feels in danger, then by all means kill the snake. Even though Graham is a naturalist, he still felt somehow in danger, so killing it was his only option. I hope Graham takes a few trips with some herpetologists or maybe volunteers on some projects so the next time he'll be more comfortable and he'll know just how many snakes were probably closer to his tent than just this one he stumbled upon.

I'm glad Senior Mackintosh survived his trip and had a good time and I hope he continues to enjoy Baja like the rest of us do.

[Edited on 3-15-2006 by ursidae69]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 11:00 PM

Graham is reading Nomad guys... He read it today a couple times and also sent me a better copy of his responce which I posted.

urdisae69, as I was the one who made the thread and posted his letters, thus I stood in for him. Sorry I didn't do as good a job as you needed me to... I just figured most here are adults and can understand.

I am much happier that Graham is responding himself!

Let's get back to our own Baja adventures and enjoy reading them...

Can't we all just get along?:lol::lol::lol::saint::biggrin::cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
... I just figured most here are adults and can understand.

Could you imagine the field day JR would have had with this one ??? :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 3-15-2006 by Diver]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 05:42 AM

Soooo....OJ WAS innocent:lol:

It was a great story....."where's the BOOK"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 09:13 AM

Soooooo... You all can say anything you want about Graham (or me)... But, when I say 'boo' back it's sacriledge!

Let's agree that to some, a discussion forum is where you can say anything you want and nobody should disagree is a responce...

I offered something back until Graham could respond himself... I apologized for not doing a good enough job for some of you... I would think that you could seperate the message from the messenger...

Anyway, I am sorry that some of what Graham did or how I explained it bothered a few of you. I really do not want to make any enemies... The majority appreciated Graham's writings and that I posted them here, so I am glad I did. But, I hope those that did not like them can just let it go and post your own adventure stories here.

If there is anything else I can do ursidae69 to make ammends, please let me know... a 'got baja?' sticker, beer when we meet, GPS waypoint to a snakepit perhaps?:biggrin::saint:

Have a great day!:cool::spingrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
If there is anything else I can do ursidae69 to make ammends, please let me know... a 'got baja?' sticker, beer when we meet, GPS waypoint to a snakepit perhaps?:biggrin::saint:

It's all good.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Soooooo... You all can say anything you want about Graham (or me)... But, when I say 'boo' back it's sacriledge!

Let's agree that to some, a discussion forum is where you can say anything you want and nobody should disagree is a responce...

I offered something back until Graham could respond himself... I apologized for not doing a good enough job for some of you... I would think that you could seperate the message from the messenger...

Anyway, I am sorry that some of what Graham did or how I explained it bothered a few of you. I really do not want to make any enemies... The majority appreciated Graham's writings and that I posted them here, so I am glad I did. But, I hope those that did not like them can just let it go and post your own adventure stories here.

Group Hug!?!

Ok, I'm sorry too.;D
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 10:50 AM
Senior?

Quote:
Originally posted by ursidae69

I'm glad Senior Mackintosh survived his trip and had a good time and I hope he continues to enjoy Baja like the rest of us do.
How old is he?:lol:;D

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bud
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 11:01 AM

I got all three of your book's Graham. Done with the first one and liked it very much. Going to start on the second one this week. Keep up the good work.

Bud;)
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 12:59 PM
To Graham Mackintosh-----

Graham----as one of the posters who expounded on your "fear" of rattlesnakes, even going as far as saying "I know" that you are afraid of rattle snakes, I apologise. Of course I did not "know", and I should not have said that.

I based that assumption on what I thought I read in your original book, tho that was many years ago. I obviously was wrong.

Your explanation of the "snake kill" incident makes perfectly good sense to me, and I have no problems with your explanation.

I applaud your adventures, hope you continue them, and hope that you are able to tell us about them in future books.

Barry
RonnieRockCod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 03:50 PM

There's a saying "Those who ignore the lessons of history are bound to repeat them."

President Nixon. "I don'y know how those nineteen minutes of tape were erased."
President George W. Bush. "Read my lips, no new taxes.
President Clinton. "I didn't have sixx with that women... Miss Lewinsky."
Nicole Simpson to O.J. "I'm not cheating on you."
Barry Bonds and Rafael Palmiera "I haven't taken any steroids."
Graham Mackintosh to Baja Nomads "I killed a rattlesnake."

Sometimes some things are better left not said. RRC

[Edited on 3-15-2006 by RonnieRockCod]
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 05:29 PM

That was Bush the Elder, George H.W. Bush that said that.

George W. Bush said " Wait a minute, I want to finish reading "My Pet Goat."

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 06:52 PM

Those desert rattlesnakes are usually skinny, not a lot of meat on 'em.
bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 08:10 PM
Skinny ?

Hmmm...I beg to differ on that one. Check this dude out...

Vibora Cascabel

[Edited on 3-16-2006 by bahiamia]
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 09:02 PM
Not sure I should chime in here

AS one who has been bitten. Not Fun ( 28 days In intensive care ) I never felt it nessessery to kill the snake/Snakes that caused my time in hospist. I hiked in their land, and invaded their space. Note to self: if you enjoy the outdoors, and you come across a snake. Stand still, Watch, Marvel, Walk Away. Nothing dies.:cool:

Unless your hungery. More Omegas than Sammon.

[Edited on 3-16-2006 by Sonora Wind]

[Edited on 3-16-2006 by Sonora Wind]
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 09:36 PM

rattlers

Yeah,

I've run into rattlesnakes from Baja to Colorado, sometimes alone, on horseback, or with other people. Even stepped over one, realized it, then stepped back away from it only to step on another one! I was lucky and not bitten, but it made realize how much I had not been paying attention.

The times I've been alone and ran into rattlesnakes are the times I've felt most afraid, but that didn't make me decide to kill one.

The following photos are rattlesnakes I've run into. OK, the one in the water is a sidewinder from my last Baja sea kayaking trip. That one was alive and well being blown back to shore. Who know how it got into the water in the first place ? maybe foraging near the shoreline when a wave took it to sea?

Anyhow, I think this whole discussion is an important one because it highlights the different perspectives we all have when it comes to caring for the environment. We all draw the line somewhere because of our education, experience, or even judgment.

From my trips to Baja, alone and with other people, I can say that I respect what Graham does. It may seem romantic to have these kinds of experiences, but they are also difficult in many ways. However, I will also say that once you take something away, it's gone. Be it a rattlesnake, a cactus, a mangrove forest, or a whale calving lagoon, and its going will have ripple effects within its given ecosystem. Each of these things becomes even more important given today?s population increases and development pressures...

Anyway, just my two centavos

gringorio
:bounce:

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 09:36 PM
Az rattlesnake

Az rattlesnake

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 09:42 PM
Baja sidewinder

Baja sidewinder

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 11:08 PM
Sonora

Where on the body were you bitten? I was in the hospital three weeks. It felt like I had a stiff broken ankle afterward.
My dad said my head was as big as a basketball and my child size toes the size and look of a ripe purple plums. It took months to loosen up the ankle and recover completely.
The snake that got me was only 18' long and full of venom.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.