BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  21
Author: Subject: UPDATE -***FULL CIRCLE - CHIEF RESIDENT OPERATES ON UNCLE ALEX - The Little Girl Who Woluld Become a Brain Surgeon (Chapter 4...
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 10:26 AM
TW, CL, and PM are all on board bring our total to $1,100

You can in donate in three ways....drop off pesos at Rest. Pancho Villa in Mulege, if you are known to me you can pledge and I will cover it until I get home to Mulege, or the easiest by far - Paypal.com to egvbuckovecs@gmail.com.

Thanks for your support so far.

[Edited on 7-12-2013 by akmaxx]
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 02:06 PM
Thank you RD, LL, and JA - $1,375 and counting

akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 11:43 PM
Thank you KP, paying it forward......

akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 08:37 AM
BB and LK take us to $1,555.....Thanks all who have donated so far.

Emilia thinks she has to get a job while in school but I don't know how she could do that. Her schedule is 8-5 M-F and 10-5 on Saturdays with reading in every spare minute. She can't afford to live near the school, so bus time has to factored in.

The medical school schedule at Universidad de la Guadalaja is not undergraduate basket weaving and BB stacking at a party school like Gonzaga. It is a full time business and Emi is kicking ass and taking names with her work ethic. Let's keep helping a winner.

Just sayin'.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 10:13 AM

Maxx,

I just sent in a donation to Emilia by Paypal.

I am not in Mulege right now so maybe you can answer this question:
Does her family still operate two restaurants? I know that Pancho
Villa's is difficult to get to because of the bad river road on the north side. Because of this, they took over the operation of the (new last year) restaurant under the bridge, in town.

While I was there last winter and spring I did not see many people patronizing the new restaurant. If they are still hanging in there, maybe we Mulegenos could pledge to eat there often. Please let us know if they still have the under-the-bridge restaurant.

Saludos,

Tony

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 10:31 AM

The Shack, under the bridge in town, is closed, I believe.

Driving the North River Road out to Pancho Villas to enjoy the family's company and sister Lucy's/mom Yolanda's culinary offerings has always been well worth the effort.

Yes, its slow & bumpy and, imo, a fun little 5-minute drive-- hey, its Baja-- glorious, gorgeous land that it is. Emelia and her family embody that spirit, thru 'n thru.

I just made a very, very modest donation for Emy thru Max' Paypal, and I was wishing I could give more but can't right now. Max, here's a question please: Would it be alright if we donated a bit from time to time throughout the year as our budgets allow? This in addition to the immediate goal of meeting her annual needs?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 11:45 AM
Absoutely Mulegena!

Paypal any time you want.

Emilia was trying to line up regular monthly sponsors and had some luck, but depending on a monthly payment takes a more tracking than a lump-sum that she can manage as the school year progresses.

The Shack is owned by her sister Lucy and is the only place in town you can get $1 draft Modelo Negra.....mmmmmm. As well as the Farmer's Market she trying arrange right now for farm fresh cooking and sales without the drive to the valley.

Business wasn't great for Lucy when she took it over, but next season is going to emphasize fast service, fresh ingredients, specials, cheap drinks, and such while she mothers her new child - Tadeo. Ojalla que no es otra chubasco.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 02:13 PM

Maxx, my wife, Audrey, and I just donated $50 via paypal. What a great story and a wonderful young lady!
Bob and Audrey

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 02:20 PM
WS, TH, and AH bringing the total to $1,685....Getting closer

A wonderful young lady, for sure, and a damn smart, dedicated, and focused one at that. I think that when she makes it many good things will be discovered or cured by her.

Peace.
akmaxx
Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-6-2011 at 10:52 PM
Couple of big patrons waiting in the wings for a grand finale, I am sure of it. The suspense is killing me

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 08:48 AM

"...depending on a monthly payment takes a more tracking than a lump-sum that she can manage as the school year progresses"

What constitutes a "school year"? Is this for a semester, or 'til June 2012? Maybe bump this around Christmas for another supplement to add to the desired total.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 09:10 AM
Tuition is due by August 30th, we have to account for delays in bank transfer

By doing a bank transfer in one-lump sum you avoid the $39 wire fee for each transfer.

So Wilder, to answer your question, this $2,600 is for two semesters of medical school tuition/books/pens and eight months of $100 a month stipend to keep Emi in student food.

I would and may run a supplemental at x-mas but if it can be done now......Emilia will still send you updates on her progress (grades, awards, breakthroughs, etc) whether you support her once or multiple times. She is very grateful for the chance to shine and shows it everyday at school.

Her tuition is due at the end of the month, but we have to account for delays in bank transfers so I would like to achieve her goal asap so she can get focus on school. An analogy might be a really good politician (rare, I know) who has to stop work to raise money. Make sense? In this case, Emilia is still studying her brains out and we are raising money for her. I have told her not to worry because I am confident that the money will be there when she needs it.

That being said: If you were on the fence or drinking coffee or watching cats do funny things on the net or mowing the grass or whatever, just stop right now and log onto Paypal.com and donate a little something to a star of a tiny little town who is doing the right thing and needs your help.

Peace.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 09:25 AM

Emilia, working at her family restaurant in 2007. She made us wonderful pineapple margaritas that day. It was a great day, indeed.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2011 at 07:57 AM
Stuck at $1685...hmmmmm....time to bust out the coffee mugs I guess. Good ideas anyone?

BajaHombre

[*] posted on 8-8-2011 at 07:59 AM

I'm in for $200.00 via PayPal, but it will be in about 2 weeks.

BH
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2011 at 08:06 AM

Maybe make a little photo story (trip report) of Emilia in Mulege, in University etc. so people can identify with this wonderful young lady. then they might be more likely to help.
Rick
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 8-8-2011 at 09:20 AM
Emelia

Hi Maxx,

Just sent $200 via paypal.

I will get an email out to all of our Rotary Club members today. I'm sure some will help.

Fellow Nomads: This is a wonderful opportunity to DIRECTLY support a truly deserving young person WITH NO ADMIN EXPENSES TAKEN OUT! If you donate to United Way or some other org, how much of your donation actually gets to the beneficiary? In this case, every dime will.

Great job Maxx.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2011 at 11:17 AM
CL and RK bring the total to $1935....THANK YOU CL for donatinig twice!!!!!

CL gets double helping of thanks but she isn't preventing you from donating once. :lol: Not everybody can share in the years of returns this will bring, so act fast.....No free coffee mugs yet but like Bush-Pilot said "....there are no admin costs with this one."

Peace,
standingwave
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2011 at 11:31 AM

The photo story idea is a good one. And on a fresh post so newcomers don't think they need to read 11 pages...
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2011 at 02:29 PM

hmmmm what I did for a friend of mine is put Emmy's letters together so she could see how inspiring the story was ... my amiga lives in Miami, but supports education so I wanted her to participate ....

please udate the total on the main thread !! this is inspiring to see !! one hopes it goes up n up day by day !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.