Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11  
Author: Subject: SEE UPDATE: Stolen Boat & Trailer
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
McFez- I would agree that "consideration of the other party" isn't seen a lot these days but it still happens (probably more than we realize.) In 2001 I was a realtor and represented a young couple in their first home purchase. About 3 years later the couple called me and said they were going thru a divorce and needed to sell the property. Unfortunately, they had taken out a line of credit (2nd mortgage) on the home to go on vacation etc. The combined loan balances were about equal to the value of the home. I told them that I would sell the home for free. (They had stopped making payments on both mortgages.) We got lucky and found a cash buyer. The buyer would do a quick closing but wouldn't pay full price. In order for the deal to work the sellers would have to bring about $2700 to closing. As a divorcing young couple they were living paycheck to paycheck and didn't have any savings. I didn't want to see this young couple further damage their credit and have the home go to foreclosure so I agreed to give them the $2700 that they needed to close. I made it clear that the money was not a loan. We successfully closed the sale and as we walked out of the closing room the sellers tearfully thanked me for the gift etc. About a week after closing I received a call from the groom's dad. He said his son had explained what I had done and the dad wanted to make it right. He said he didn't have the cash but could pay me $50 or $75 a month until the loan had been repaid. I thanked the dad for the call but explained the money I had paid at closing was a gift and not a loan. The father's voice cracked and he said "God bless you" and the phone went dead. Fast forward to June 2006 and a deposit of $15000 appeared in my business checking account. I called the bank to inquire about the error and was told the deposit was made with a generic deposit slip, in cash, with a handwritten note that said "Thank you, Ron." I believed that the money had been credited to my account in error and told the bank manager to call me when the rightful owner called about his missing deposit. 10 days after the deposit I received an envelope postmarked in Argentina. Inside was a letter from the father. He said he had deposited $15000 into my account. He said the deposit was to cover a waived commission on the sale of a house and a favor I had done for his son. He underllined the sentence that said the $15000 was a gift and could not be repaid!! Other than the postmark, there was no return address or any other information. If the father is a member of BajaNomad let me say thanks!!

This is the stuff I love to read.
absinvestor...I wouldnt mind meeting you someday.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Use the court system in Mexico? The boat will be an antique before you get any satisfaction from the Mexican legal system.

For sure. It'll take longer than forever to go through the Mex system. Expensive as well. You'd be better off hiring a street judge.
jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 09:39 AM

Goat!
What an appropriate name!
Now don't you let him get your Goat!

He is on this website.... only for one purpose.

To get your Goat!

Ignore him by simply not responding to his nonsense.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
goat is gone loco, theres just no other way to put it, or hes jim connellys lover or something.

Hey Jessie, I like your new avatar more than I did your old one.:coolup:

Bob Durrell
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 10:31 AM

absinvestor - what a great story !!!!! you gotta be kidding me !!! you are the BEST, amazing and wonderful read.

latina - maybe you could contact the new mayor of la paz and ask for help !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 11:03 AM

Latina, you have to pursue getting your boat back in spite of the detriment to the unfortuanate defrauded buyer. Your getting your boat back is not the cause of the damage to the buyer. The damage to the buyer is directly and only due to the fraudulent sale to the buyer, not your eventual rightful retrieval of your boat from the unfortunate buyer. That boat is legally your property, morally your property, and over 1000,s of years of Judeo-Christian evolution of law , logically your property.

If, however, you want to make a gift to the buyer because of your concern for the plight of the unfortunate buyer, especially since the detriment to the buyer is so much monetarily larger than the monetary depreciated value of your investment in the boat at the time of the theft, that is another matter. A gift and your moral, logical, legal right to the property are two separable and very distinct considerations. Making a gift is virtuous, for sure.

I am not being a nay sayer here. If the buyer has to be called on to attest in writing and in court appearances to the facts as he knows them, be advised that every effort he puts out is bringing him closer to his having to release possession of the boat forever. The buyer will know that. Be mindful of that as you observe the level of willingness and reliability and timeliness of the buyers efforts and actions when he is called upon by you and the courts to come forth.
surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 10:50 AM

Saw this today on BD...........any chance your guy is still trying to sucker folks ???

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/2370052206.html

VESSEL TRANSPORT (SO CAL/BAJA)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-05-08, 7:39PM PDT
Reply to: sale-3bfqb-2370052206@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAULING/TRANSPORT SEVICE AVAILABLE W/MY F350 LIC,INSURED,SAFE AND PROFESSIONAL.OVER 10 YEARS EXPERIENCE. CALL 760 670 ####

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2370052206

[Edited on 5-19-2011 by surfdoc]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 11:08 AM
Busy person

http://www.allboats.com/en/9376874/boattransport-cabaja.html

http://california.freeboatshopper.com/boats-parts/hauling-tr...

http://california.findanyboat.com/boats/boattransport-cabaja...

jenny.navarrette
Banned

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 11:29 AM

He's also selling an aluminum boat trailer. Didn't somebody around here hav one stolen recently?

http://bajasur.en.craigslist.com.mx/boa/2308512157.html
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette
He's also selling an aluminum boat trailer. Didn't somebody around here hav one stolen recently?

Yup

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=51578

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette

Maybe a local Nomad could call about it and go get some pictures?.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc
Saw this today on BD...........any chance your guy is still trying to sucker folks ???

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/2370052206.html

VESSEL TRANSPORT (SO CAL/BAJA)

Date: 2011-05-08, 7:39PM PDT
Reply to: sale-3bfqb-2370052206@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

HAULING/TRANSPORT SEVICE AVAILABLE W/MY F350 LIC,INSURED,SAFE AND PROFESSIONAL.OVER 10 YEARS EXPERIENCE. CALL 760 670 ####

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2370052206

[Edited on 5-19-2011 by surfdoc]

Flag his posts as SPAM/OVERPOST when you see them. He'll get the message that we're onto him...

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 05:43 PM

Don't be too fast to convict, the ad says 3 axel trailer, doesn't fit the one stolen.
thefishkiller

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 01:17 AM
outcome?

I have been following this thread and would love to know if there is any new information? This guy is still advertising boat transportation in Mexico. Two weeks ago a friend of mine recieved a quote from him to transport a boat from PV to the US. If you would like the contact information i could forward it.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 10:09 AM

Just was browsing the internet and thought I'd check up on James Connolly... definitely has no shame. I found postings on 3 different sites by another person who hired Jim Connolly on UShip in April to transport a motorcycle, which never made it to it's destination due to a string of familiar excuses... He was using a different company name "Amigo shipping" Yah, right.... :no: www.justanswer.com was one "Jim Connolly"

[Edited on 7-17-2012 by latina]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 10:25 AM
ummm!!

SOUNDS LIKE A PERFECT TIME FOR A "STING"!! HAS IT BEEN PROVED THIS GUY IS A THIEF ?????..IF -YES..THEN SET HIM UP!!!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 10:38 AM

http://tijuana.es.craigslist.com.mx/boa/3119640280.html

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
SOUNDS LIKE A PERFECT TIME FOR A "STING"!! HAS IT BEEN PROVED THIS GUY IS A THIEF ?????..IF -YES..THEN SET HIM UP!!!

I suggested that on page 2 but nothing ever happened. Too bad, he is just going to keep on screwing people.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 10:52 AM

He has no conscience... he needs to be caught in action by the police, Mexican or American, as he is travelling back and forth across the border...
It would be good if the U.S. citizens who were defrauded would report him to the San Diego police department and internet fraud dept...then maybe he could be caught in California...the wheels of justice for property crime move very slow in Mexico and he knows it...
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 10:58 AM
BAD GUY

i'LL BE BACK TO BAJA IN DEC. AND WILL BE HAPPY TO TAKE CARE OF THIS IF HE IS REALLY RIPPING FOLKS OFF!! LOTS OF FREE TIME AND MONEY COME WINTER!!! K & T:mad:
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.