Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  27
Author: Subject: Tropical Storm John
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:02 PM

Prayers to all on the east cape . . .

Hope Pulmo survives as well - hurricanes have done some nasty damage to reef systems . . .

:no:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:06 PM

Linda

Sept. 1997 We were here and don't even remember it.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:11 PM

La Ribera report at 7 05
Cant see the beach which is 2 blocks from my house, winds gusting to I estimate 60 mph, rain but not torrential, all in all not too bad really!
I think this storm is behind us maybe close to Santiago, hard to tell,
but wind is stiff out of the North, Power is still up, amazingly enough!
Will report if possible later.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:25 PM

JEEEEEZZZZ JESSE!!!! You really have a way of putting it into perspective in such graphic manner! I now understand how John could be called small! :bounce: Thanks for that visual!! :o
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:30 PM

Prayers seem to be answered for mercy from Mother Nature ..

CSL has had overcast skies, lots of humidity, occassional rain but nothing like what we have experienced before in the way of tropical storms ..

We are checking on family in LPaz and are hopeful for similar reports ...

LG
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:32 PM

Bring it on we need the rain. what ever else happens happens:yes:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Bring it on we need the rain. what ever else happens happens:yes:

I don't know where your at, but you MAY live to regret that statement amigo.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:43 PM

La Ribera report 7:40pm
Power is down in town now, am on generator, winds are getting stronger, almost blew me over while out turning on generator! Dark now but not as bad as everone here expected, course till the winds are down it aint over.
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:53 PM

HURRICANE JOHN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 18A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP112006
500 PM PDT FRI SEP 01 2006

...EYE OF HURRICANE JOHN NEAR SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA NORTHEAST OF
CABO SAN LUCAS...EYEWALL MOVING ONTO THE COAST...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTHERN BAJA
PENINSULA FROM SAN EVERISTO SOUTHWARD ON THE EAST COAST...AND FROM
BAHIA MAGDALENA SOUTHWARD ON THE WEST COAST. PREPARATIONS TO
PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE CENTRAL BAJA
CALIFORNIA PENINSULA FROM PUNTA ABREOJOS SOUTHWARD TO BAHIA
MAGDALENA ON THE WEST COAST...AND NORTHWARD FROM SAN EVERISTO
TO LORETO ON THE EAST COAST. THESE WARNINGS MAY HAVE TO BE EXTENDED
NORTHWARD ON THE EAST COAST LATER TONIGHT.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT ALONG THE WEST COAST OF
THE BAJA PENINSULA FROM BAHIA MAGDALENA TO PUNTA ABREOJOS.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT ALONG THE EAST COAST OF
THE BAJA PENINSULA FROM LORETO NORTHWARD TO MULEGE.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 500 PM PDT...0000Z...THE EYE OF HURRICANE JOHN WAS LOCATED BY
SATELLITE AND RADAR FROM CABO SAN LUCAS NEAR LATITUDE 23.2 NORTH...
LONGITUDE 109.2 WEST. THIS POSITION IS NEAR THE EAST COAST OF THE
SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA ABOUT 25 MILES...40 KM...EAST OF
SAN JOSE DEL CABO.

JOHN IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH...16 KM/HR...
AND A TURN TOWARD THE NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED LATE TONIGHT. ON THIS
TRACK...THE EYE OF JOHN WILL PASS NEAR OR OVER THE EAST COAST OF THE
SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA IN THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 110 MPH...175 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. JOHN IS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN STRENGTH IS LIKELY BEFORE LANDFALL.

JOHN IS A SMALL TROPICAL CYCLONE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND
OUTWARD UP TO 25 MILES...35 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL
STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 958 MB...28.29 INCHES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF UP TO 5 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
LEVELS...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE
EXPECTED IN AREAS OF ONSHORE FLOW NEAR THE PATH OF THE CENTER OF
THE HURRICANE.

RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM STORM
TOTALS UP TO 15 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE SOUTHERN BAJA
PENINSULA. THE WEST COAST OF CENTRAL MEXICO COULD RECEIVE AN
ADDITIONAL 3 TO 5 INCHES OF RAIN WITH MAXIMUM STORM TOTALS OF 18
INCHES POSSIBLE. THESE RAINS COULD CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH
FLOODS AND MUDSLIDES OVER AREAS OF MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN.

REPEATING THE 500 PM PDT POSITION...23.2 N...109.2 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...958 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL
HURRICANE CENTER AT 800 PM PDT.
dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 06:59 PM

We also just lost power here in north Barriles, the surf is over 10 ft, wind still out of the north, tide is high, pounding against our sea wall, scary, just ran out of wine real scary. Hope this is over soon-----------------
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 07:02 PM

Okay, I might be dilusional from lack of sleep, but if John was still "CENTERED ABOUT 60 MILES EAST OF THE SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA" & it's traveling about 8 mph, how could it have been & gone in SJDC a couple hours ago? Are the live updates coming in faster than the sat image updates? I'm NOT doubting Judy's veracity....it just doesn't make sense to me. And please don't tell me that doesn't surprise you Lencho! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Did it pass them way to the South East versus Northbound? :?: I need some sleep!!!
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 07:06 PM

rain heavy and out of the north in Elias Calles...started heavy with the wind changing and coming out of the north around 5PM local time.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 07:12 PM

Carol

The only thing you need to worry about is to wake up in the morning with a sailboat in your front yard.:lol::lol::lol:

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 07:13 PM

Cabo radar showed the eye reaching land just northeast of San Jose Del Cabo around 2:00 pm today. At that time it was headed northwest towards La Paz.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 07:31 PM

Just got this from Rick in Elias Calles:

hello max,,well its 8:05,, I think we just get to much information,,,this thing has gone from one side to the other,,i have see it rain and get a little windy,, right now its calm,,and a light shower,, i mean light..so far the worst thing is i spilled my drink on my new laptop,, and now it will not turn on,,,wonderful,,, i have it upside down and blew it out with air,,, i sure hope it drys out,, what i see is that it came in on the east cape,,by hotel los frigolas,,, and the outer bands dont even go over the mountains,,,, i have not heard from lou,,,so he might be getting pounded,, i will kept you posted...

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Okay, I might be dilusional from lack of sleep, but if John was still "CENTERED ABOUT 60 MILES EAST OF THE SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA" & it's traveling about 8 mph, how could it have been & gone in SJDC a couple hours ago? Are the live updates coming in faster than the sat image updates? I'm NOT doubting Judy's veracity....it just doesn't make sense to me. And please don't tell me that doesn't surprise you Lencho! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Did it pass them way to the South East versus Northbound? :?: I need some sleep!!!

It is still coming, but I really hope it is not as bad as we expected. Set your alarm get a couple hours sleep, and do not stay in the same room as glass if possible. I have not been through what your going through, but saying what I feel is common sense. I wish I could do more.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 07:46 PM

"400 mile to Tijuana".. anybody know where this road is as stated on CNN.com ?
"Officials closed the airport Thursday night, ending a mad scramble for last-minute flights, and driving out wasn't an option for many -- the one, narrow road north stretches 400 miles (650 kilometers) to Tijuana on the U.S. border.
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 07:49 PM
Hurricane John's center to avoid land

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060902/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/hurric...

By MARK STEVENSON

CABO SAN LUCAS, Mexico - Hurricane John's outer edge roared over the lightly populated eastern tip of the Baja California peninsula late Friday, but the category-2 storm appeared to spare the glistening resorts of Cabo San Lucas, authorities said.

John brought hurricane-force winds to coastal towns like La Tienda, where government officials said flimsy homes would not be able to withstand the storm's 110 mph top sustained winds. But the storm's center was not expected to move over land, instead brushing past the peninsula.

"We're not certain it's going to make landfall," Chris Sisko, a meteorologist at the National Hurricane Center in Miami, said of the eye of the storm. "It's what we call a strike, and not an actual landfall on the peninsula."

Sisko said the storm would continue to lash Baja's eastern tip for hours, but that the twin resorts of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo appeared out of danger.

John wasn't likely to affect the United States; cooler Pacific waters tend to diminish storms before they reach California.

Luis Armando Diaz, mayor of the municipality encompassing both resorts, said: "fortunately ... we don't have a frontal impact."

"That doesn't remove the possibility that we could still be affected," he added.

Some streets were flooded in Cabo San Lucas, but the water was merely ankle-deep at its highest. Stores reopened two hours after hurricane-force winds first lashed the peninsula and residents antsy from spending all day in shelters emerged into the streets, where some started a pickup soccer game.

Known for the rugged beauty of their unique desert-ocean landscapes, the two resort cities of San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas on the southern tip of the Baja peninsula are studded with high-end golf courses. The resorts are extremely popular with sports fishermen and celebrities. Rooms at some of the higher end hotels go for more than $2,000 a night.

On Friday, thousands of tourists who couldn't get flights out prepared to ride out the storm.

"That water wasn't that high a few minutes ago," said Dale Broomfield, 26, a nurse from Adelaide, Australia, who negotiated a makeshift plank bridge over water that rose up between his hotel and an adjoining convention hall-turned-shelter in Cabo San Lucas.

Nearby, Guadalupe Amezcua, a 50-year-old tourist from Mexico City, set up camp on one of many mattresses on the floor of the hall, where windowless rooms provided protection from wind.

"This is like an adventure for us, but I've learned now: never travel during hurricane season," Amezcua said as she folded her clothes.

"We came for the sun ? and now look!"

Miles away from the glittering coastal hotels, 46-year-old bricklayer Francisco Casas Perez sat outside a schoolroom where he and his 14-year-old son spent the night. They were evacuated from their tin-roofed shack in Tierra y Libertad, one of the squatters camps that dot the sandy flats around Cabo San Lucas.

"We've been asking God to not let it hit too hard," he said. "We could lose all our possessions."

The Mexican Navy and police evacuated residents, sometimes forcibly, from Tierra y Libertad and other shantytowns, many of which are built next to usually dry riverbeds.

Casas Perez went voluntarily to the shelter, where people slept on thin pads stretched side-by-side over the concrete floor.

"The hurricane is no game, especially where we are surrounded by water on all sides," he said.

Olga Lidia Aguilar, 32, was evacuated from her tar-paper shack in the shantytown of Lagunita.

"We feel safer here," she said as she and her five children waited in line for free tuna salad and tortillas. "Our house could just blow away in the wind."

Up to 8,000 tourists remained in Cabo San Lucas on Friday; hundreds more foreigners are full-time residents. Most visitors are American.

As the storm approached, the Hotel Tesoro told guests they could stay in their rooms at their own risk, but suggested they go the hotel's shelter or hunker down in their bathrooms.

The towns' shops and restaurants were almost all closed, many with their windows boarded up. Hotel workers stripped rooms of light fixtures and furniture, in case plate-glass windows shattered.

Officials closed the airport Thursday night, ending a mad scramble for last-minute flights, and driving out wasn't an option for many ? the one, narrow road north stretches 400 miles to Tijuana on the U.S. border. A tropical storm warning was in effect for the desolate middle stretch of the peninsula, a region dotted with American-owned vacation and retirement homes.

The National Hurricane Center warned that John could fuel storm surges of up to 5 feet above normal tide and bring 6 to 10 inches of rain, possibly causing "life-threatening flash floods and mudslides" over mountainous areas.
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 07:50 PM

La Ribera Report
We have been blasted whith Heavy wind for the last hour, stuff flying around, and now almost calm, I think we are in the eye right now. Am gonna go out and look around, a lot of lightning, small windows that I didnot think I need to board up were flexing and felt ready to let go, just outside calm but really wierd!!!
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 07:59 PM

I stitched together a storm track for Hurricane John for the last six hours using the radar images from the Los Cabos Radar Station:

(Updated 10:30 PM BST - Baja Sur Time)

http://www.bajasatellite.com/Hurricane-John-Storm-Track.asp

I'll update the track images throughout the evening. Pray for our fellow citizens throughout the Baja.

Stay Safe...

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by BCSTech]
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  27

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.